Author Topic: Anyone know what it takes to integrate GameSpy Arcade multiplayer?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Anyone know what it takes to integrate GameSpy Arcade multiplayer?
I got to wondering - what would it take to redo the multiplayer of FS2 so that it's compatible with GameSpy Arcade?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline RandomTiger

Black magic

It wouldn't take much (other than licensing costs?).  The API is very easy to use and Freespace 2 already has a server browser in it.  Gamespy has special provisions for stuff that's open sourced, but I'm not aware of any open source games that use it.  I'm a big fan of their software though, it took me very little time to add server browsing into a game with their kit at my last job.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, will someone more knowledgeable than I take a look here: http://developer.gamespy.net/ - looks like it has pretty much everything. Registration is free (not quite sure what that entails), and the prices for integrating GameSpy server communication is "variable - contact [them] for details."

Sounds quite interesting... ;7
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:bump:

Anyone?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Black magic

Dammit, beat me to the joke - and there I was looking forward to being the first to post "an act of god"...;)

Offline Inquisitor

You license GS technology and use their SDK's for full integration.

I am working with folks who have the SDK's, they are pretty straightforward, but it does cost money.
No signature.

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Why in the world would someone want to use gamespy arcade? It's slow, clumsy, full of ads and spyware. Just make a support for standalone servers and All seeing eye.
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm inclined to agree, I've not heard anything good about GSs sever stuff, it'd be better to have stand alone severs and so on than dedicate to game code to GSs.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
All seeing eye? You been playing as a preist of Helm again?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Pera
Why in the world would someone want to use gamespy arcade?

Well, I was thinking of the publicity it would bring as much as the features.

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
All seeing eye? You been playing as a preist of Helm again?

Heh. :rolleyes:

http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project