Author Topic: particle based weapon effects  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
particle based weapon effects
i am sure that everyone is familiar with the particle spew flag. i was wondering if anyone could impliment a particle based rendering system that could be used in place of the current laser code. the paticle spew flag is fine and dandy for flak, it woud be a little better if we had the option to select a particle ani. it would be totally awesome if we could control everything to do with particles. instead of having a tag that adds 3 little particles behind a model or a rendered laser, we could have a number of tags that allows great flexibility so that we can have paricle stream weapons, railguns with 3d particle trails,  animated sprites, shotgun weapons, and the like.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Solatar

Yeah, that would be cool. You said it adds stuff behind a missile? You could get something that looks like smoke is flying out. real looking smoke, those trails aren't THAT great.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Yea cool, particle smoke effects, good idea. it would be cool if it replace the polymodel thruster flames as well. i think a well done particle flame looks better anyway.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
don't waste it on the thrusters - they're barely visible - but particle smoke. A+
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
sorry for not being very original, but first I'd like to see the damaged ships to spew much longer particle trails, like on those WW2 videos where you saw the damaged fighters leave 1km long trails. That'd be neat.
really, if you look at other games, you can do so many things with particles it's crazy. I could make a list, but it would be looooooooooong so i'll spare you with it.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we need
A- better poly rendering code, the DX8 upgrade should handel this
B- poly transparency that doesn't make everything glow
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i personally like particle trails for there 3d apearance, as an alternate to 2d bitmap trails. im not too sure how efficient the existinhg freespace particle code is. if it is too huge a factor on performance then it copletely trhows my particle ideas out the window (unless the particle code is seriously optimized).

i think ships in freespace are too slow to have 1km long smoketrails look good. in space smoke scatters out and fades away really fast. so the ship would have to cover alot of space really fast in order to make the trails that long. remember that WW2 fighters fly in an atmosphere, where pressure differences are much less and smoke fading is slower. ms combat flight sim 2 has some nice smoke effects.

an idea of rendering paricle based object is to have a simple single object pof file to use as a bounding box. the geometry is not renderd, and is only used to specify where particles should apear. particles are rendered in random locations within the bounding object. particles may or may not bove around within the box depending on the effect you want. when rendered the effect should apear to have some depth. making all particles transparent would be too cpu intensive, so only particles that are near the edges of the bounding model would be transparent.

in the tables you should specify a bounding model, number of particles, particle effects (ani, bitmap, or an rgba value for single color particles), particle size, particle movement (0 for none, higher for more), and opacity scaling (how much of the effect is transparent).

also particle beams, thruster plumes (you could actually use the flame's submodel as a bounding object in this case), and missile trails could be done. for beams and trails you could use the same values that determine a 2d object's size to determine a 3d area that particle effects should be rendered.

also a few other flags (similar to particle spew) could be used for more complicated effect like railgun trails and shotgun blasts.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
Why in the hell u wanna have shotgun efects in FS2???
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think it would be cool
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Nuke
i think ships in freespace are too slow to have 1km long smoketrails look good. in space smoke scatters out and fades away really fast. so the ship would have to cover alot of space really fast in order to make the trails that long. remember that WW2 fighters fly in an atmosphere, where pressure differences are much less and smoke fading is slower.

hem no, that's the exact contrary: in space, no atmosphere, no pression at all. never heard about the apollo13 pilots describing the water trail the capsule left behind it? it wasn't 1 km, it was something like 50 km long coherent trail... in space, trails stay coherent much longer than in atmosphere where you have winds, strong gravitation, pressure differences, etc.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by tomcat
Why in the hell u wanna have shotgun efects in FS2???

never played mechwarrior? :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what about doing a trail like effect (like missle trails) for damage trails (in addition to the existing particle emitters)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Bobboau
what about doing a trail like effect (like missle trails) for damage trails (in addition to the existing particle emitters)

that's what i said, just I thought making the exisiting damage trail much longer would be enough?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the exsisting damage trail isn't a trail, it's a particle emiter
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Bobboau
well the exsisting damage trail isn't a trail, it's a particle emiter

make the emitter life bigger, and it'll turn into a trail.
SCREW CANON!

I understand...

He wants an AC20!

Oh God, he wants to mount an AC20 on an URSA!!!
Then he can go to any ship and literally BLOW them to pieces! (talk about a subsystem killer!). Hey Venom make sure you capture the sound too! (Bang!)...(Turrent blows off a Sathanus with one shot!) :lol:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
mmh? Nuke, you mean, not me, I suppose.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Talk to WM Coolmon about that :nod:
I wouldn't mind flying a Visigoth around. I tried to make a PPC weapon, it didn't work out (but it could have)
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by Star Dragon
I understand...

He wants an AC20!

Oh God, he wants to mount an AC20 on an URSA!!!
Then he can go to any ship and literally BLOW them to pieces! (talk about a subsystem killer!). Hey Venom make sure you capture the sound too! (Bang!)...(Turrent blows off a Sathanus with one shot!) :lol:

I think he was actually talking to YOU, not meaning that you were the one he was actually talking ABOUT. :nod:

Offline Grey Wolf

Hmm..... For my current concept ship, I'm making the primaries as close to PPCs as possible. Huge trail, EM effect, nice damage, slow reload. Imagine LRM-20s in FS2....
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw