Author Topic: Google Ads are back  (Read 11707 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'd have no problems with graphical ads as graphical ads may potentially have higher revenue than text-only ads.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I don't mind too much unless it's one of those ultra flashy ones.

And I could live with them if it meant more money for HLP.
(I would donate, but I don't have enough money to, and in this case, it's not the thought that counts)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Flashy ads... you mean the ones that say you've won a free _______?  How the heck do they generate revenue, anyway?  People should know by now, there's no free lunch (except in the case of FreeSpace, and even then, it comes at quite some cost to the developers, time-wise).

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I have no problems with graphical ads either, even some ot the flashy ones are fine. If an ad gives seizure, then that's another thing...
Habeeb it...

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
You know, you could install a script that disables ad viewing for 24 hours for that IP via PHP/MySQL...  A friend of mine did that, and once a person clicked on a link, the adsense banner would be gone for a day.  I dont know how much workload it would put on the server, but I suppose it's worth considering.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Is anyone else getting the insulting Wing Commander CIC ads? I thought it might be an April Fool but a) it's the 3rd today and b) the links look like legitimate Google ads.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes, other people are getting them. It's being investigated and we'll be looking to get rid of them.

As for them being insulting - I wouldn't let it affect me that much - I haven't seen anything come out of CIC over the last year that hasn't been anything but amusing.

Well, it's an insulting assertion to make that CIC is better than HLP. :p

Offline Shade

On the topic of donations slacking off, it seems to no longer accept Visa (well, my Visa at any rate) as a means of payment. I have no clue why, because it works for me just fine for anything except HLP donations, and has worked for HLP in the past too. Anyone have a clue what might be going on?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline CatBomb

I used to like the CIC, but this is outrageous.  We should turn their own tricks against them and advertise on their site.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
On the topic of donations slacking off, it seems to no longer accept Visa (well, my Visa at any rate) as a means of payment. I have no clue why, because it works for me just fine for anything except HLP donations, and has worked for HLP in the past too. Anyone have a clue what might be going on?

That would be completely on PayPal's end of things... I suggest taking it up with them.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I used to like the CIC, but this is outrageous.  We should turn their own tricks against them and advertise on their site.

Yes, because we have that kind of money to piss away right now. Should we start whoring the admins out perhaps? Sandwich has military training, he could be a merc. Goob could be the Mr. Bean of database admin, only being sent in to purposely disrupt things. And Kal... well we could just plain whore Kal.

I'm drinking too much tea tonight.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
$2 to place that CIC ad, IIHeardC...  But I also heard it was a joke... one with bad taste, IMO, but still a joke.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Why with bad taste? I thought it was kind of funny. Actually, very funny. It shows that as much as they try to give off the impression that they/WC are/is so much better than us/FS, they still keep tight tabs on the comings and going of HLP. After all, that ad was in place how many hours after we got the Google AdSense thing running again? 48 or so? It shows a kind of fixation that's on one hand pitiable, on the other commendable, and (if you're a Shivan), on the third hand quite amusing. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Alright, alright...
:lol:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
And Kal... well we could just plain whore Kal.

He's certainly attractive enough.  :P
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Shade

Well, found the problem - It's not my card, apparently. Weird as it sounds, it's my telephone number. Seems they've made some change in the last week that has resulted in danish telephone numbers being seen as "improperly formatted", and as such it won't let the transaction proceed as it's a required field.

Anyway, there's hope. They've got to get around to fixing that sooner or later, I wager.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.