Author Topic: X Wing (need advices on texturing and so on)  (Read 11713 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
X Wing (need advices on texturing and so on)
Cobra -> ok, i search into Google the solidify.tsx and i found link BUT unfortunately it's especially for Ts 4.0 and 5.0.

Here the link in case of somebody want :
http://tvanonselen.tripod.com/solidify.zip

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Dabrain -> Okay, i just see to logos under your nickname i suppose you made only Inferno and MindGames.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
That's because the StarFox thingy isnt hosted here.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Uh, what does that TS plugin "Solidify" do, afterall? What´s it for?
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
almost nothing, if you can model properly

Offline Anaz

The only use that I've found for solidify is to be able to modify pofs that  were converted to .cob, because PCS does something funny with geometry creation.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Is it possible into Ts 3.2 to replace the default background by a new background color (Black, or another color) ?

And about texturing, what is the best to use ?
- the paint brush ?
- material retangle ?

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
Is it possible into Ts 3.2 to replace the default background by a new background color (Black, or another color) ?

yes. right-click on the render button. the scene render options window will pop up in the lower left hand corner. to the right of where it says background, right-click on color. a color picking pallete will show up.

Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
And about texturing, what is the best to use ?
- the paint brush ?
- material retangle ?

use paint brush and the other tools in its menu for texturing. and material rectangle for putting on decals. i rarely use the latter myself.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, thanks anymore.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, now, i begin texturing the model, but i've got some problem. I make my own texture within a shot from Ts and then i modify this shot to create texture like the following :

But, unfortunately, the texture is larger than the upper left wing size.
I don't know how to proceed, i try into Lith Unwrap but, I can't put the texture into one face, instead of that Lith push texture in the entire model.

Here the actual model without my own texture.

The same but with another color :
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 06:10:27 pm by 1984 »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Hum, i'm in trouble now with Lith Unwrap and Ts.
I load the cob file into Lith for texturing, i put the texture well, then i save the wing, without traingulate it in cob format.

I reload this in Ts and what i see, the engine reactor lokks weird, the Hole has disappear why ??
But if i look properly in wireframe, the hole is still here.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by KARMA
Consider that we have permission to use Darksaber's one

You do? What happened to him, he stumbled on "nice" and got a revelation reading the dictionary?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
DS can be nice...if you ask him nicely.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Nico

You do? What happened to him, he stumbled on "nice" and got a revelation reading the dictionary?

we didn't really ask, he came here with some other guys about one year ago giving us permission to use his stuff. I guess they were interested in the scp project.
Unfourtunately we had always problems in finding people to convert stuff from other sources (actually whe had problems in finding people to do things at all), that's the main problem of the sw tc.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I wanted to test my ship into Fs 2, but PCS tell me that my model have Polygon Point > 20 . What does that mean ?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*shrugs* you got me. i'm just now learning how to model...
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The reason is that the faces around the "lip" of the opening are convex, meaning that you can draw lines across them in such a way that the line goes outside of the polygon that you want.  Modeling programs generally dislike this scenario, and right now Truespace is interpreting what you have as two faces, one capping the outer edge, the other facing inwards and capping the engine hole.  So what you've almost certainly got right now looks like the left part of the following pic, while it should look like (at least) the one on the right.

The polygon points thing is probably also coming from here.  Freespace now triangulates everything as it's loaded, but with Vanilla there were certain rules of geometry that couldn't be broken if the game was to work.  One of them was that a face could contain no more than 20 points on its edges, which leads to the error you're seeing.  In all likelyhood, the face failing you're seeing and the points/poly limit are both at the same place in the model.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 03:51:23 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Actually, i've done the x wing with only 4 parts (the main part + the 4 wings). Each wings contain Gun/Engine/wing. i only use Union to mount different part into one (Gun/Engine/Wing), is it the reason of those  > 20 Polygon Points ?

But, if i want to convert only the main part, PCS tell me there are no group. How can i attribut Group for my model ?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You've got to group the main LOD with a local light, using the glue tool.  Subobjects should be attached similarly.  To answer your other questions,
  • Yes, boolean Union without proper cleanup (which takes a good bit of experience) can most definitely cause polygons with too many points.  In reality, and especially for HTL, everything should be triangulated anyway.
  • The problem with the engine, as I tried to illustrate earlier, is that you've either only got one face for the flat ring around the front of the engine depression, or you've got a number of faces much less than the number of edges on the cylinder.  Both will cause problems, especially if you get it converted.  Use the create edge tool to split those faces up.
  • In reality, you should probably be trying to make the whole ship one object, unless you're going to try to get the wings to open and close.  Clipping isn't as bad as it used to be, but convention is to unify everything if it isn't supposed to be a dedicated subobject.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Originally posted by StratComm
You've got to group the main LOD with a local light, using the glue tool.  Subobjects should be attached similarly.

So, it means, i have to glue a local source wherever in the main part, doesn't it ?