Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675534 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Photons are invisible... so photon beams would be invisible as well.

FreeSpace beam weaponry must be some sort of particle beam weapon, despite the naming scheme.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Beam weapons in fs are plasma based.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
As evidenced by plasma core insertion?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The dude doesn't say "Power up plasma beam cannons" he says "Power up photon beam cannons". In fact, for all we know "Commence plasma core insertion" has nothing to do with the beam cannons (not that I'm saying I believe they are unrelated, just pointing out there's no explicitly stated relation there).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Subluminal Lasers and Visible Photons.
I can accept those, I don't get why other people can't. It's a game - if they say that's what they are, that's what they are. Everything else is game mechanics.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
You're talking to a person who has managed to pretty much make the use of One Power (found in the Wheel of Time series) compatible with quantum physics in his head. The only problem is the energy source, but at that point I just refer to the different confirmed cosmology than our known universe... :lol:

I am not the kind of person who can simply bypass things as game mechanics unless it is absolutely necessary. Calling blobs blobs and beams beams is ok with me as it doesn't specify what they are, but when you call something "laser" or "photon beam" you should at least do enough research to figure out they are the same bloody thing and thus it hardly makes sense that beams and blobs are such vastly different sorts of weapons.

Blobs aren't difficult to accept as... blobs of different sorts of plasma ejected by the gun at certain muzzle velocity. The velocity and plasma dissipation determine the effective range, and it kinda does work out even though we don't exactly have any way to duplicate such weapon in reality (at this time).

Beams though... even despite the reference calling them photon beam cannons, it might be just a fluke or it might be just a name. Plasma core insertion sounds much more relevant to the actual mechanism of the beam's method of working.

You know, tanks aren't exactly used as mobile water storage either... despite the fact that they were "designated" the name "tank" for just that purpose.

Regardless... this thread is badly derailed. We need moar images.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The dude doesn't say "Power up plasma beam cannons" he says "Power up photon beam cannons". In fact, for all we know "Commence plasma core insertion" has nothing to do with the beam cannons (not that I'm saying I believe they are unrelated, just pointing out there's no explicitly stated relation there).
Plasma cores could mean that they're powered by fusion, which they are.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline eliex

Plasma cores could mean that they're powered by fusion, which they are.

They could be; beams require massive amounts of energy to function and fusion reactions (e.g hydrogen bomb) can account for that.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic

FREESPACE PICHERS

NAO

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I tried to raise a topic concerning the composition of the Amaterasu's blue beams yesterday on IRC, but nobody cared or was sleeping. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
People in IRC respond better to spam. except Axem.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
That's because Axem _is_ spam.

I'm cropping some screenshots now. Will post soon.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Cropping? Are you playing in a window?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Is it possible to create an invisible capship? I'd love a minicampaign featuring it :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just make all its textures transparent. I wouldn't use 'invisible' like they use with fighter bays, though, in case that messes up collisions.

Although it would look odd to see the ship's thrusters, glows, damage plumes etc. showing through, unless it's invisible as in 'see-through', and not invisible as in 'cloaked', which would open a whole new can of worms. :p

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Why would a texture "NAME" affect collisions?

Anyway testing for the Gunryu failed due to engine problems...
Meaning, it blew up!  :lol:

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

(sry - this modded orion has no turret orientation yet)

more random screens
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Bloody beautiful.