Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675623 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: A celebration of Freespace
Yeah, I thought the stark contrasts, aggressively paired diagonals on the Kent wings and horizon line, and the intimacy of the two pilots as patches of light in the space between their practically full-dark war machines all worked super well. I wish I could do something about the moon texture but c'est la vie.

You could change the sun's position a little bit further to the upper-left quadrant (related to the pic) so as to give slight specular shine on the fighters. Having them 100% pitch black is somewhat off-putting. There's nothing to be done regarding the texture, unless Valathil or some other genius brings motion blur to the renderer.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The sun's position is kinda locked in by the Earth bitmap, and again, the choreography was a spectacular PITA, I'm not planning to reshoot.

Yeah, I thought the stark contrasts, aggressively paired diagonals on the Kent wings and horizon line, and the intimacy of the two pilots as patches of light in the space between their practically full-dark war machines all worked super well. I wish I could do something about the moon texture but c'est la vie.

The problem is all of those angles cram the viewer's eyes into the upper left hand side. You have to fight the image to see any of the details. If you rotate the image the angles draw the viewers eyes up the image.

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think the takeaway here is 'leave screenshots to others'

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

The problem is all of those angles cram the viewer's eyes into the upper left hand side. You have to fight the image to see any of the details. If you rotate the image the angles draw the viewers eyes up the image.
I really like how the visual flows in that version.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
LOOK AT THIS **** MOTHER****ERS

KOBRAR MADE GRAVITY. THAT'S SOME ****ING GRAVITY PULLING ALL THOSE BIGASS BULLETS INTO THE MOON

Spoiler:
it turns out gravity is really subtle, i had to cut the projectile velocity by 2/3 and raise the gravity to 3G to get that shot
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:13:18 pm by General Battuta »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Now someone make the engine support translations so we can have mechs in ground battles dang it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
By the way, you can click on the screenshot to get an instructional video on how to handle this.

Offline Mpez

That gravity is so great it made my jaw drop.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Cool but it can't be our moon with its weak ass gravity!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Can the AI handle it?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
that's the single one important question here, indeed
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Luis Dias

it would be really cool to see enemy AI just trying to shoot you and you'll be all like "Why the hell are they all aiming slightly under me?"

Also, bring down that specular a notch. Pretty sure Earthshine isn't so shiny when you have the SUN lighting the dirt.

Offline 0rph3u5

"Will the lead indicator be updated accordingly?" might just take its place
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, the AI can not handle this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The general raised my hopes and you dashed them quite expertly E, bravo! :sigh:

Offline Luis Dias

gravity is just a theory anyway.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

"Will the lead indicator be updated accordingly?" might just take its place
Even if the AI can't at present handle this, maybe updating the lead calculation so that it works correctly would fix it. I don't know how hard would that be, but something tells me it'd be easier than the usual ventures into the AI code...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even if the AI can't at present handle this, maybe updating the lead calculation so that it works correctly would fix it. I don't know how hard would that be, but something tells me it'd be easier than the usual ventures into the AI code...

Point 1: Gravity is not an FSO feature, it's a script.
Point 2: The engine can defer lead calculations to scripts (via the hud override hooks)
Point 3: Updating the engine to handle gravity internally must include updates to the AI. There is no way to do it halfheartedly
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

Can the AI handle it?

No, the AI can not handle this.

*Achivement Bing*
Achievement unlocked - Rained on Boastutta's parade

==================