Author Topic: Rogue Squadron's Normal Mapped X-Wings  (Read 20371 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Rogue Squadron's Normal Mapped X-Wings
and snail, that is brilliant. cheating without cheating. but cheating eventually gets boring.

Yeah, except it wouldn't work unless you were host, and people might get suspicious at the level of your home field advantage.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I see two problems and two "coder requests" for the custom-skinned player ships:

1) In Multi everyone has to download the said skins from each other --> not yet implemented in the code, so you'd need to manually distribute 'skin packs'.

1.1) --> Code request for automatic skin distribution through the host. May be a late 3.7 feature, but since you already have media for it, the coders will likely take the request seriously.

2) How do you make a mission use your own skin? It can already do this with squadron insignas, but so far only specifically FRED-ed mission with the texture-replacement sexp give you the ship you want...

...hmm, I think multi missions could be FREDed/scripted to use a "skin menu". You do an eval, key-pressed sexp, and if the player presses the appropriate button you display a menu with a list of availible skins. Press another key, and the game does a texture-replace sexp on the player's ships...

...now, does this sexp actually work on a ship already in the mission?
...and does it work in multi?

So many questions.

2.1) --> Another code request, also probably late 3.7 feature.

"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

i don't have any way to try what i said, can one of use guys see if it works?

if it does, we could have every one of your squadmates have selectable textures...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is there any way to extend the multiplayer squad logo code to support texture replacement? Or just increase the size of the squad logo to cover the whole craft using the existing UV
map? This is a query as i know coders hate non-code people forcing unviable suggestions on them with a whole "this'll work" attitude.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I talked like that? (yes) dang, sorry.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not at all ;) i'm just covering myself. <- disclaimer)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline maje

maje, I don't normally speak for Brand, but he'll _probably_ be ok making the normal maps for the Z-95.  If you just leave most of the detail that's needed to go in them off of the model.  You said you restarted the headhunter right?

Going to restart the model, probably this weekend.  I had been thinking of trying to go via the high res model for normal mapping, but if Brand would rather do the normal map in PS, he's more then welcome.  I'll probably still want to do the color and spec maps though as I'm going to be doing a variety of custom and standard designs.  Since Rogue Squadron's customs seem to be in order, I'll do the 6 Coruscant fighters, along with the standard red line work.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
By all means, do as much as you want.  You just seemed to hint that you were more impressed with Brand's normal maps than your own :)  But practice makes perfect of course.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline maje

Well, honestly, I messed up the normal map on the old one because I had built the color map first.  I want to do a test on the normal map work-flow via the high res model method, though I'm thinking I'll really wind up with about 3 models.  The initial medium res model, which will have all supporting bevels and chamfers necessary for the turbosmooth to high res (I think everything should be knocked into quads from that).  The medium res will have UV mapping coordinates to be traced over later on.

Next step will to be generate the normal map, and then I'll be able to build the low-res game model, and trace the medium res UVs as much as possible, with some fudging in Photoshop.

Meanwhile, I'll probably be exporting each little piece of the low res into PCS via POF exporter to check for exporting issues.

When I had made the shadowbolt for terran emperor's Crusade campaign, I had to literally export the model everytime I did something to it to make sure I didn't do something the POF Exporter didn't like.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I simply went and built the normal maps in photoshop by hand.  I experimented with trying to do it via a high poly source, but it never seemed to work out right, there's probably something I was doing wrong.

Ya know, as I look over these, some I'm very proud of (Corran's police-style, Tycho's Char custom, and Inyri's goth inspired one) and some I'm not too proud of (Nawara's boring brown, Aril's Blue Angel, and Asyr's random crap)

Anyone have any suggestions or other ideas for theirs?  Nawara's has to stay at least brown toned (it's mentioned in the novels) but the rest are up to whoever.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
See if DaBrain can give you some pointers with those normal map auto-gens (I think it was him that brought normal maps up in the Celebration of FS thread)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Just as a celebration of normal maps, yay!

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Looking good. I think the cylinder within the engine is rather too noticeably a cylinder rather than a cone, you should change it. Here's a cross section for reference.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Alas, you'll have to talk to Turambar about that, it's his model.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
the solution involves grabbing 16 vertices and moving them backwards a bit.

not a huge problem. (and it was a known one)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Topgun

what if we sexp it?
something like:

IF: player ship = TIE; change texture to playertie
OR: IF: plyership = x-wing.......
you get the idea.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, I don't.  What does that solve?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The textures.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It works now, Taylor fixed the bug.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...