Author Topic: Ship cockpits  (Read 12490 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I did a run through of the high-poly ships to see which ones have working cockpits with the "show ship" flag. Here's my list:

Made it
GTF Hercules (Absolute favorite. No clipping errors, cockpit is evident without really obscuring view)
GTF Ares (Second favorite. Same as above)
GVF Serapis (Not really meant to have a cockpit. However, it works decently as long as you don't look down and see the actual cockpit. ;) )
Didn't make it
Hercules Mk. 2 (Eyepoint is too far back)
Myrmidon (No diff, unless you look to the sides, where extreme clipping is evident)
Pegasus (Cockpit obscures too much of view)
Perseus (Cockpit off-center?)
Medusa   (Cockpit obscures too much of view)
Erinyes (Cockpit bar is over targetting recticule)
SF Mara (Basically does nothing :P)

I know a few of those weren't intended to ever be used with "show ship", but I think a couple on the problems list were supposed to. I can probably fix this myself with high-poly Modelview, as long as it's just moving the eyepoint around. Mostly I'm looking for comments here.

I also noticed a problem with the zbuffer where ships would seem to be rendered inside the cockpit when viewing from another ship, I'm pretty sure this is now fixed in my local codebase.
-C

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Go for it.

Offline Solatar

I've moved around the eyepoints and such, and it's very difficult to get some of them looking good. The Perseus, once centered and stuck near the pilot's head, is frikkin' awesome. I'm kinda working on the Medusa a bit to try and see if I can get it to a point where you can see well (tried messing with the view on the top pilot instead as well).

btw, what cockpit texture are you using? I have one I hastily invisibled the HUD with, but the normal one obscures the view in this area.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'm using the normal one (one that's in 3.6.8 mVPs)
-C

I think part of the problem is the ridiculously thick cockpit struts.  Look at a modern cockpit: the cockpit struts DO obscure vision slighly, but they're not anywhere near as chunky as they are in FS.  You can move eyepoints around, but I think the best fix would be changing the cockpit architecture.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I think part of the problem is the ridiculously thick cockpit struts.  Look at a modern cockpit: the cockpit struts DO obscure vision slighly, but they're not anywhere near as chunky as they are in FS.  You can move eyepoints around, but I think the best fix would be changing the cockpit architecture.

....and 'modern' aircraft that operate inside an atmosphere and can't even handle shots from an AK....
....perfectly relates to spacecraft designed to withstand missile warheads in the kiloton range....
....how?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
....with better technology and alloys?
....fiction?
....;) :p
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
....Shields
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
The Perseus, once centered and stuck near the pilot's head, is frikkin' awesome.

Prove it! Prove it! (screeny)  ;) ;7
I am a revolutionary.

....and 'modern' aircraft that operate inside an atmosphere and can't even handle shots from an AK....
....perfectly relates to spacecraft designed to withstand missile warheads in the kiloton range....
....how?

I don't want to hear you complain about cockpit visibility ever again.  I won't even point out the 'game mechanic' nature of FS2s hitpoint system, nor will I suggest that the cockpits in FS-verse probably CAN'T survive a multi-kiloton detonation.  I'm simply going to repeat that complaining about restricted vision in ships with almost foot-thick cockpit struts is dumb.

;;WMC Edit: flames & baiting. Pnakotus, make your points in a more civil way in the future.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:37:28 pm by WMCoolmon »

Offline Solatar

Ulala, I'll try to do it when I get back from my grandparents. I hope I still have the model around, but if not, it'll be a 5 minute job to redo it.:)

Offline Solatar

Looks similiar to this, which is the Apollo. I can't remember if I moved the eyepoint or not...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Schweet.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CaptJosh

Not bad, but it kind of mucks with the HMD radar distplay, as there's not enough contrast between it an the cockpit.
HMD=Helmet Mounted Display, for those not familiar with the abbreviation.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken