Author Topic: Is there no chance...  (Read 11983 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Show them both.

If you've been around a while and have a lot of posts, you were either useful or not as spammy to the point that you got banned.
If you're new and have a lot of posts, you're spamming or possibly really involved in some project, but most likely spamming.
If you're old and have few posts, you've lurked or left and returned.
If you're new and have few posts, you're normal.

This is how it was done in VBulletin, and would make the most sense. As for allowing General Discussion posts count, don't ask me. It was a much more active forum before SMF and all the changes, but it also had the overheated personal attacks, but it at least had a page of new threads a day, most decent.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
I always thought a "Spam" section would be useful, but that would cause MAJOR spamming by certain spammers and this would use up the HLP's bandwidth, wouln't it?

Besides, it's nicer to have no spam to look at.

*Thinks of the mess he would see in that section*
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
join date doesent help for telling how much you've contributed either...you can join, post once, wait a year, and post again. maybe an admin-controlled "contribution counter" that goes up every time you make something/contribute.

I've seen the solution for that.... you have a "How useful was this post" section, level 1-5, you click the number, you can vote how useful it was... and you can change your vote, I think that would be good.  However, I'm not sure this is a good idea.  Huge abuse / clique potential.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you want accurate stats how much someone has contributed to the community, the best way to do that is to enable Karma.
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=104

In a month you'd see who are the retards and who are the contributors. In two months time the board ends up in flames and Karma will be removed. :lol:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah... which brings me back to thinking "just leave the whole bloody thing alone".

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Gah...I'd just like to get my postcount back into 4 digits like it was a couple years ago, but allright.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline MercFox1

• DIVE DIVE DIVE
    • Shacknews
Gah...I'd just like to get my postcount back into 4 digits like it was a couple years ago, but allright.

You could post in Freespace discussions...   :doubt:
I've got to be missing something here.
Steam_ID: MercFox1

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Another part of me thinks that giving people back their E-Peens will stop some of the spamming that takes place in the Freespace General Discussion boards.

Of course, the other option is to completely hide post-counts in posts and only display them in profiles, so people can check their post-counts if they like, but it's not like a badge.

Or I could start getting harsher with people who spam on Gen FS.

To be honest I doubt that giving people the ability to add to post count will stop the kind of behaviour that you describe. Once it's taken root in a forum all that will happen is that they will continue to spam there and now gain post count for further spamming in Gen Disc.

I also noticed that it's been an age since anyone got their post count zeroed for spamming. I suppose I should point out that this particular punishment might be coming back.
I agree with this.  Actually, I forgot it was an option. :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just leave it like it is. And join date isn't really a good indication of contribution, either. Look at me: A two year member with maybe a small thing here and there, but mostly nothing. Now, IIRC hip68 or someone like that made a Freespace DVD about a week after registry.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
1. That's hip63.

2.:

Quote from: my sig
Or see thesizzler's Manual Install instructions

-That, in and of itself, counts for something.  :p

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
a small thing here and there,

Thanks, still.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Not something little.  It might not have been hard, but it is very useful.  :yes:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The little 2^x thing is pretty cool - maybe get rid of visible postcount and just leave that?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
A Rep system would look horrible and inflate the useless (non-post) part of the forum.

One of the reasons that I don't use G-W is because of the massive avatars and sig pictures.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Think of all the bandwidth that is wasted, too.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Yeah bandwith that could be used to bring HLPs download service back.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah bandwith that could be used to bring HLPs download service back.

Personally I doubt it. :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Just an idea.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What happened to that?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Hippo