Author Topic: Untitled Campaign - Teaser Pack  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Untitled Campaign - Teaser Pack
I'm on the cruise liner mission, but I just want to say one thing:
Your use of the cutscene SEXPs is one of the most immersive things I've seen in this engine. It really adds to the feel of the campaign. I'd like to see this done more often.

EDIT: Oops. I guess there's no cruse liner mission. Was that on purpose?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline CaptainX

• Incoming fire always has the right of way.
    • Sector 114 - Farpoint Station
EDIT: Oops. I guess there's no cruse liner mission. Was that on purpose?

Yes.... it leaves you wanting more.... I know, I'm evil  ;)

I'll be working on more missions and adding content. My main focus was to see what everyone thought thus far... are the missions immersive and exciting? Does everything appear to be working correctly "behind the scenes"? Is there anything broken? Is there anything I should add to improve the experience?

Basically questions like that.... I didn't want to create a 30 or 40 mission campaign only to have someone tell me I did something horribly wrong through 75% of the missions  :)
Thanks,

CaptainX

"Retreating?!? Hell no, we're just... attacking the other direction!"

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I like it very much. Do I have your permission to use some of those cutscene missions for my own nefarious purposes?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
So, the two missions are over...  :)

1. I like the cutscenes very much.

2. The two missions are very easy. With 2 UD8-Kayser as primary too much firepower for every foe. I played the 2 missions on hard as easy as other campaigns' missions on very easy   :eek2:
i try them on insane tomorrow but i do not expect a difference.     

Offline CaptainX

I like it very much. Do I have your permission to use some of those cutscene missions for my own nefarious purposes?

Sure, you're welcome to use them.... but open up the scenes in FRED, and check out the SEXP tree.... they're rediculously easy to figure out. Then you'll be able to make any scene you want with any ship you want. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll see if I can help ya.

So, the two missions are over... 

1. I like the cutscenes very much.

2. The two missions are very easy. With 2 UD8-Kayser as primary too much firepower for every foe. I played the 2 missions on hard as easy as other campaigns' missions on very easy  :eek2:
i try them on insane tomorrow but i do not expect a difference.

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for  :p

I'll see about toning down the player's weapons a bit. I love the Kayser, but it DOES make the missions a little too easy, now that I've paid attention  :lol:
Thanks,

CaptainX

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice...very nice :yes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.

Sure, you're welcome to use them.... but open up the scenes in FRED, and check out the SEXP tree.... they're rediculously easy to figure out. Then you'll be able to make any scene you want with any ship you want. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll see if I can help ya.

Are you saying that you can make cutscenes like the original FS2 ones with FRED?    (Sorry if this is well known, I haven't seen the latest version of FRED and I never knew anything about making cutscenes)
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
First, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm expecting/demanding anything; based on the two missions so far, this would be how I think I would proceed, assuming I could get enough time and actually get decent with FRED.  On a side-note, you've given me an idea for a spin-off... that I'll never get to make.  Anyway, I know this is WIP, and that you may already have explanations for most of this, but here goes with my thoughts...
<braindump>

- Initial premise is peachy.  New system with lots of activity leaves plenty of room for varied combat areas and environment-based plot twists later on.

- Cut-scenes: Big thumbs up, though a couple may last a bit too long at current... whoopdy-doo, I know, but wanted to mention it as the thought crossed my mind while watching.  0rph3u5 made great use of them in The Black Hand TBP campaign and I'm glad to see the technique used more as it's a really cool extension to a mission or intro to a briefing.

- It's definitely on the 'very easy' end of the spectrum right now...  On the flip-side, I think the whole pirate stockpile of lokis and ursas (and pilots!) would have been wiped out in the 2nd mission.  In my run-through, I didn't lose a single wingman and still ended up waiting 3 or 4 minutes for the ship to jump.  Herein lies a conflict between logic and story-telling.  Of course the GTVA is going to send in the big dogs with the intent of wiping out the pirates 'yesterday.'  This is a brand-new top-o-the-line carrier and it's going to have all the best equipment.  Given that, they won't be sending their pilots out with moth-eaten Apollos, HL-7s and MX-50s.  IMO, game balancing only works when it fits the circumstances.  We've got Erinyes (Erinyi?) and Kaysers as we should.  The pirates, seeing this new threat, have the choice of running (no way no how, ya scurvy dog) or sending everything they have at the new threat (Yar!).

So here's my thoughts on possible solutions to this perceived problem:

1. Change the whole background to be really depressing, using an old and busted capital ship with a washed-up, shell-shocked crew and matching equipment to toughen it up while making the protagonists more desperate.  That's too depressing for my liking, but it would 'fit.'  That and it would require a major revamp of ...everything.

(Obviously I like this idea better since the paragraph is bigger...)
2. Make the pirates much smarter with much bigger cojones.  For instance, you could start the 2nd mission as a red-alert/scramble and have a couple enemy bomber and fighter wings already in-theater with an already mildly-damaged Midway.  Maybe they're also disillusioned GTVA vets that deserted, so give 'em a better AI class.  Side-note, I like Zeus bombers for pirate roles; it's just a personal taste as Ursas are big, lumbering bulls-eyes IMO.  Maybe add in some Vasudan craft to boot.  They're pirates after all, so (unless you have pirate shipyards later) they'd likely have a wide mix of craft.  To toughen-up the mission in particular while showing the pirates aren't stupid, have one or two bombers drop a couple shots right into the hangar bay just as your wing exits, have the Midway send a message that the hangar is wrecked and that you'll get no more (beta wing) fighter support.  Now the total firepower is cut in half so the pirates can be left with much fewer incoming numbers.  But have 2x2 fighter/bomber wings jump in at four corners of the ship.  Two sets of bombers could, say, try to disable engines while the other two sets start knocking out turrets.  Trying to engage/defend/evade over all that distance while prioritizing targets could get crazy and may take a lot of wingman orders to keep the Midway in one piece.

</braindump>
Whew... Take it as you will (or tell me to STFU as you like ;))

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But Vasudans aren't pirates. :(

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
They can be if they want to...Like there aren't disilusioned vasudans or poor vasudans...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CaptainX

Are you saying that you can make cutscenes like the original FS2 ones with FRED?    (Sorry if this is well known, I haven't seen the latest version of FRED and I never knew anything about making cutscenes)
The latest version of FRED2_open includes a sizeable list of SEXPs which are used to create cutscenes. They may seem confusing at first, but it's not too hard to figure out once you test everything once.

- Initial premise is peachy.  New system with lots of activity leaves plenty of room for varied combat areas and environment-based plot twists later on.
I liked the idea of having a foe that wasn't Shivan... I kinda got sick of fighting them after awhile LOL. And there will be plenty of plot twists  :D

- Cut-scenes: Big thumbs up, though a couple may last a bit too long at current... whoopdy-doo, I know, but wanted to mention it as the thought crossed my mind while watching.  0rph3u5 made great use of them in The Black Hand TBP campaign and I'm glad to see the technique used more as it's a really cool extension to a mission or intro to a briefing.
The cutscenes are one of the most fun things to tinker around with in Fred. Technically, you could make an entire movie out of a mission if you wanted... many minutes long, if you had the time to script all of it.

As for the length, there are a couple of scenes there which I was thinking of shortening a bit.

- It's definitely on the 'very easy' end of the spectrum right now...  On the flip-side, I think the whole pirate stockpile of lokis and ursas (and pilots!) would have been wiped out in the 2nd mission.  In my run-through, I didn't lose a single wingman and still ended up waiting 3 or 4 minutes for the ship to jump.  Herein lies a conflict between logic and story-telling.  Of course the GTVA is going to send in the big dogs with the intent of wiping out the pirates 'yesterday.'  This is a brand-new top-o-the-line carrier and it's going to have all the best equipment.  Given that, they won't be sending their pilots out with moth-eaten Apollos, HL-7s and MX-50s.  IMO, game balancing only works when it fits the circumstances.  We've got Erinyes (Erinyi?) and Kaysers as we should.  The pirates, seeing this new threat, have the choice of running (no way no how, ya scurvy dog) or sending everything they have at the new threat (Yar!).
I've decided to keep the Erinyes fighters, but I am going to remove the Kaysers from use except for very special missions where a lot of firepower is required. However, I may reserve the Erinyes fighters for the same thing... kinda like special ops equipment.

As for the pirate ship classes and supplies... just wait until you play the whole campaign and find out where they're coming from  :p

2. Make the pirates much smarter with much bigger cojones.  For instance, you could start the 2nd mission as a red-alert/scramble and have a couple enemy bomber and fighter wings already in-theater with an already mildly-damaged Midway.  Maybe they're also disillusioned GTVA vets that deserted, so give 'em a better AI class.  Side-note, I like Zeus bombers for pirate roles; it's just a personal taste as Ursas are big, lumbering bulls-eyes IMO.  Maybe add in some Vasudan craft to boot.  They're pirates after all, so (unless you have pirate shipyards later) they'd likely have a wide mix of craft.  To toughen-up the mission in particular while showing the pirates aren't stupid, have one or two bombers drop a couple shots right into the hangar bay just as your wing exits, have the Midway send a message that the hangar is wrecked and that you'll get no more (beta wing) fighter support.  Now the total firepower is cut in half so the pirates can be left with much fewer incoming numbers.  But have 2x2 fighter/bomber wings jump in at four corners of the ship.  Two sets of bombers could, say, try to disable engines while the other two sets start knocking out turrets.  Trying to engage/defend/evade over all that distance while prioritizing targets could get crazy and may take a lot of wingman orders to keep the Midway in one piece.

I'll definitely be doing some improvements on this mission. Now that I have a bit of feedback, I'll be adding in a lot more "fluff"... mission chatter, special events, etc. These ideas are good, and I'm sure you'll see some of them in the final campaign. The enemy AI will be improved as well.

Keep the ideas coming, I am really excited about how this is going to turn out!

Thanks,

CaptainX

Offline DiabloRojo

But Vasudans aren't pirates. :(
Hehe sorry, I see how it reads that way... I didn't mean a generalization that Vasudans were pirates (0MG H34DZ PIR8S!!1!one!!) but shifted focus back to 'pirates' in general.  But, if they can turn into the HoL whackjobs, they can definitely be pirates!

As for the pirate ship classes and supplies... just wait until you play the whole campaign and find out where they're coming from :P
Enough said--I'll ponder no more about their Star Wars cloning technology and Star Trek replicator systems!  :nervous:
Seriously, from what you said earlier and how clean it feels, I expected there was already an answer for that to be given later in the campaign.  All of that was just a flow of thought.  :yes:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But, if they can turn into the HoL whackjobs, they can definitely be pirates!

The HoL aren't pilots either. More like mujahedins.

Offline DiabloRojo

How do you keep managing to read my wording out of the intended context? (Bad wording--duhr!)

"But, if they can turn into the HoL whackjobs, they can definitely be pirates!"
            ^Vasudans      Vasudan subset^         ^Vasudans in general again, not HoL
           (in general)           (specific)                (as in, any Vasudans should have this potential)
Hopefully this lines up properly for everyone else...

Rewording: 'Considering that a Vasudan's mind-set can get whacked out and/or brainwashed to the the point of believing and actively participating in the HoL, it would be a perfectly reasonable assumption that an otherwise 'normal' Vasudan could resort to piracy for personal gain, just like a human, when given the proper circumstances.'

There!  ;)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well we never see any Vasudans be driven by selfish greed or anything, have we?

But of course, they can be pirates.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So ... in between I had some time to look at your campaign and I have to say that it has a lot of potential (as well as you have as FREDer)...  :yes: :yes:

maybe you are taking the cutscene-thing a bit too far for me (but I'm just afraid of loading times)
and a BG despite stars and the closest stellar object or nearest dust/gas cloud would be nice too -- since you have centered all missions in one system (yet) you would only need only one background (maybe you would need to find something to create a contrast but I guess you will find something)

all in all I'll be looking forward to what is about to come...
in the meantime I'll go and take your cutscenes apart -- I've all too recently re-discovered this dicipline myself....

ps. I personally hate the Eyrines (if you cannot build a fighter that supports the guns you tape on it you should not complain about loosing.) - so keep a wide ship selection
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I played it through and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I can't wait until it's finished.  It looks like an interesting story.  I like the cutscenes.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.