Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 240347 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd be down for choosing a spot to set up some sort of collaborative project.  I'm still sporadically working on my doom fortress, but it'd be fun to combine forces on something else.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Why not tackle building a town of sorts in the teleport pad area? Sure, it's a desert, but that just means that we can put special "restrictions" on building styles and features that will make the place unique.

For example, in the desert, angled/slanted roofs are nonsensical - it never snows and rarely rains, so there's no need to drain weight off the roof. So all the buildings can have flat roofs with low parapets/walls around them and stair/ladder access.

Another idea would be waterways. Every town needs water, but in the desert, I can imagine a raised canal / water transport conduit, leading to all the locales that need it.

Palm trees would be neat to have, too - heck, instead of a well, make the center of the town a full-blown oasis.

Anyway, those are my ideas. :)

EDIT: Granted, that desert is just plain silly. It's tiny, for starters, and it has an ocean & swamp bordering the east and a swamp to the west. Only the grasslands to the north and south make any sort of sense. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I could go along with Sandwich's idea, the teleports are already there anyway.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Yeah the teleport area would make the most sense. It should be easy accesible and not ruin any one's area. But I think that's a decent length away from most people's stuff. Plus the guy I think already built a bit of railway through there as well. Closest thing is some farm on a hill south of the place, and those two artworks near the village. Oh someone has a house in those southern woods as well.

But anyway, might be a thought. Could either be random buildings in pre-defined building spots, or maybe restrictions on building materials and themes, or whatnot. The highers ups or whoever can decide upon matters.

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
I would be open to helping build there, anyone who wants to add to the rail system there is welcome to do so also!

Does anybody have a good, quick way to drain large volumes of water? I'm currently doing the gravel/ladder method, but it is terribly slow.
Related: Fire spread is turned completely off on the server, isn't it? I was trying to defoliate some leaves, but nothing happened, and then I remembered.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Does anybody have a good, quick way to drain large volumes of water? I'm currently doing the gravel/ladder method, but it is terribly slow.
Related: Fire spread is turned completely off on the server, isn't it? I was trying to defoliate some leaves, but nothing happened, and then I remembered.

Heh, maybe if I hop on and see you I can help a bit.

As for fire spread, yes, spread of any kind is disabled.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Damn
I cannot utilize the winds to spread my neurotoxin
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Isn't that what we installed that core for?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Are the teleport pads broken? None of mine seem to work since the patch.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Are the teleport pads broken? None of mine seem to work since the patch.

Runecraft got an update, so they may need to be reset. Can you make new ones?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Guys, I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford to host the server any more, I am currently a full time student and as such, have no stable form of income as bar shifts are few and far between. I would be more than happy for someone else to take over the running of the server, as I barely use or admin it any more.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How much does it cost per month?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
How much does it cost per month?
$14.95 for the current plan
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
People can pitch in .. 12-15$ really isn't that much (especially if devied)

Heck, I was contemplating hosting my own server.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I could easily chip in a few bucks per month; I don't think it'd be a problem for us to hit those requirements.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Hell, I could easily chip in a bit. The only question is: how?
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Hell, I could easily chip in a bit. The only question is: how?

There is a donate button on the Dynmap, bottom right, it goes directly to Qaz: http://208.122.48.18:8236/

EDIT: however, it's broken for me, so Qaz has to fix it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I could donate the whole sum.. Of course, I don't think qaz would like that :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

$14.95 for the current plan

Right right, I keep forgetting that these things cost money... Fix the link and I'll pitch in too.