Author Topic: Questions...  (Read 13413 times)

First of let me say that this mod is awesome :cool: me being a SW fan can't wait for it to be released, his there a demo planned?

1) What is the size of the Executor class in this mod?
2)What other ships are going to be included? I s there gona be the vengeance and the allegeance?
"What does not kills me, makes me stronger!" -Nietzche

There is no peace, there is Anger;

There is no fear, there is Power.

There is no death, there is immortality;

There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

1) its 8 km long here i believe, for gameplay issues and turret number (imagine 120 turrets on a 17.6 km battleship)

2)The mod is mostly going to be concentrated on the ships from the movies, and then subsequently those the fans are most familliar with.  Allegiance is a little ambiguous to model as aside from a couple of photos in Dark Empire, we don't see too much of them.
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht
1) its 8 km long here i believe, for gameplay issues and turret number (imagine 120 turrets on a 17.6 km battleship)

Actually, the size is so far unconfirmed. We're doing everything we can to keep it canon, so we may well be going with the 17.6 kms, either using a possible SCP bumped turret limit, or just spacing them out evenly and carefully.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
we will know the size of our super star destroyer when we will have a super star destroyer...:)
we are aiming at doing the canon ships first (obviously), it will not take too much for a first release, i hope (once we finish corvette and isd we will have to do just one or two other capships and one or two fighters)
we will add the other ships in further releases, upgrading the older at the same time to make the maximum use possible of the source code modifications

One more thing are the globes on top of the ISD comand tower going to be scanners subsystems?
I'm asking this because all of the SW games say that the globes are shield generators when they aren't...

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels says that they are.

The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels is wrong!

I'm sorry, but substantial evidence points to the fact that those globes are scanning towers.

Why would the Imperials design their shield generators to be such big fat targets, while not a single other ship has visible generators.  The answer is that they are not shield generators.

If they where generators, why is it that the shields were already down when the A-Wings destroyed the globe on top of the Executor.  Morever, several seconds before the A-Wing attacking the Executor scene, we see one or two stardestroyers exploding, with both of their bridge tower domes intact.

This shield globe error was begun by West End Games, a group who constantly failed to make proper statistics for their ships.  Heck, they even put the wrong number of engines on the Executor, and they made it only 8 km long.  This error was recopied into a lot of litterature and even the Essential Guides.  

And the creator of the EGTVV, Bill Smith, once worked with WEG, so its typical that he reproduced his flawed work into published material.
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I'm damned if I'm going to get into one of these nerdy debates, I have better things to do, like prove that Picard is far better than Kirk!:nervous:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
ROTJ argues against this. Just before the bridge officer reports they've lost the bridge deflector shields, it shows one of the globes getting destroyed. It makes a lot more sense if the globe was a shield generator.
-C

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
I'd also add that the domes don't have to be destroyed for shields to be down, there are countless instances in both the books and the movies where shields have been taken down by excessive pounding - which is logical.  Thus, the arguement that "just because the domes on two SDs were intact when the destroyers were destroyed means they're not shield generators" is mute.

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
ROTJ argues against this. Just before the bridge officer reports they've lost the bridge deflector shields, it shows one of the globes getting destroyed. It makes a lot more sense if the globe was a shield generator.

Actually that scene shows that the domes were destroyed to show that the bridge shields were down(after 30 minutes of bombardement by the rebel fleet) and to decrease the accuracy of the Executors weapons to allow the rebel fighters make a strafing run on the brigde with less chances of being destroyed. That his why the domes were destroyed.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Phoenix is right. The destruction of the globe was an effect of the shields going down, not the cause of it. The fact that the A-Wings managed to destroy it alerted them to the fact that they had lost their shielding. You'll notice that when the Executor is going down in flames, it still has one of its scanner globes intact.

must... resist... urge... to quote... Curtis Saxton...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Originally posted by LtNarol
I'd also add that the domes don't have to be destroyed for shields to be down, there are countless instances in both the books and the movies where shields have been taken down by excessive pounding - which is logical.  Thus, the arguement that "just because the domes on two SDs were intact when the destroyers were destroyed means they're not shield generators" is mute.

True.
But there are various times that in the novels they mention the various sections of the shields like front, port, ventral, dorsal, etc and yet, we don't see any domes in those areas of the ship.
Besides in the original blueprints the domes were labeled Scanner Domes and those are higher cannon than WEG.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
about the shield gen...
i may agree or not, but the point is that in all the games they are considered as shield gens.
this mean the people is used to consider them that way, so they *are* shield gens now, even if they weren't intended to be so
this will not be much a problem anyway:
in our mod you will have to blow shields in the old fashioned way, before being able to destroy those towers.
Destroying the towers will have a strategic sense just to avoid the shields to recharge, like for example in the last BOP mission

...they...are...sheild...gens...trust...me...

In almost all the SWs games made by LucasArts has you destroy the globes to bring down the shields!

eg: Rebel Assault1, StarWars X-wing, StarWars Tie Fighter, StarWars Rogue Squadron for the GCube, StarWars X-wing Alliance.

Believe me...they are shield generators...I'll email LucasArts to see if they are or not!

Cor

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Damnit, I had a huge explanation as to my position on this subject, but this worthless board lost it and I forgot to use my usual foolproofing methods. I'm too annoyed by the whole situation to go and type it all again.
To sum up, the games have enough errors that you have no reason to trust them, they're just there becuase some programmer, artist, or designer felt they made for good gameplay.
I don't really know that much about modding FS2, so I can't be too sure what can be done. If I were to have an ideal, it would be that the shields be divided into multiple arcs, each with a separate projector component, on the surface, not obvious, and either physically destroyable or at least destroyable as a subsystem. The exception being the bridge arc, which would be housed on or near the domes. The domes would be noted primarily as sensor components, and definitely destroyable. That the shields must be downed first is the best thing I've heard all day.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
The Shields have always come from the towers. The Rebels destroyed the tower so that the shields went down, crashed the A-wing, and the Exec died.

There are plenty of other ships that have visible shield gens. Look around.

And wether anyone thinks they are canon are not, a good point has been brought up that they have been shield generators in every other game that has Star Destroyers in it, so Why would you go and change that now?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Grey Wolf

To tell you the truth, setting up shield generators in FS2 would require a good deal of SEXP work in FRED2, AFAIK.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Cyber Phoenix

True.
But there are various times that in the novels they mention the various sections of the shields like front, port, ventral, dorsal, etc and yet, we don't see any domes in those areas of the ship.
Besides in the original blueprints the domes were labeled Scanner Domes and those are higher cannon than WEG.

There are also many times in the novels where they are directly referred to as shield generators (example: the Wraiths' plan for beinging down the shields on the Iron Fist and Razor's Kiss). Since we don't have shielding technology ourselves, they could be subdivided into different sections despite being projected from one spot.

In fact, it could be that the domes on SDs are the shield generators concentrated in one spot, while on other vessels they're evenly spaced around the ship.

Regardless of whether they are shield or scanner domes, it should be necessary to destroy the shields before destroying the domes. The only way to get to them would probably be to open a hole in the shields with concentrated firepower (much like the Lusankya's escape from Coruscant) or get under the shields (like the Millenium Falcon did in The Courtship of Princess Leia)

Also, the series of events in ROTJ is:
1) The dome is shown blowing up
2.5?) I think the bridge actually rocks/shakes from the explosion
2) The officer says "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield!"

It seems to me like the director was trying to set up a cause-and-effect sequence; if he just wanted to show the shields were down, the officer's notification and the A-wing ramming into the bridge would be sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 02:13:38 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
well, a good point was made and reiterated a couple of times:

the shields must be down to get to the shield generators in the first place - regardless of where they are located.  if the shields are up, you can't hit the generators or any other component...

i would also say to destroy the shield generators by overload, it would take a really heavy blasting to do so - something like at least 50% of the total damage adsorbtion capability (over time) simultaneously (or near so - within a couple of seconds).

it does not matter to me (personally) if the globes are shield generators or sensor arrays - either would be pretty stupid to put in that location due to its potential vulnerability.  perhaps it could be argued that it did not matter due to having shields in the first place.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com