Author Topic: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread  (Read 18265 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread
Just in case you haven't already - can you make sure that all files from that zip Strat linked to replace the old ones in the media VPs? Sorry to nag, but with the last version, the wrong glowmap got left in, meaning light from the rear windows spilled out where it shouldn't have, and looked a bit silly. ;)
(actually, you can see it in the wikipedia's FS_Open screenie :( )

Also, you should be able to remove most of the previous versions redundant maps:

- Fenris-HTL-glow.pcx (the new one's dds, so the pcx one will need to be removed to prevent it having a higher priority)

- Fenris-HTL_b.dds (this lot are now handled by mipmaps)
- Fenris-HTL_b-glow.pcx
- Fenris-HTL_b-shine.dds

- Fenris-HTL_Subs.dds (the subsystems now all use the main texture)
- Fenris-HTL_Subs-shine.dds

Make sure to leave the trim ones in though, because the Sobek uses at least one of them. :)

Other than that, I can't remember anything. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline neoterran

looking good, thanks for posting that ^^

Well, my mediavps 3.6.8 Delta are so modified now. Isn't it almost time for a new MediaVPs release or are we still waiting on a few more models ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

Make sure to leave the trim ones in though, because the Sobek uses at least one of them. :)

Other than that, I can't remember anything. :)

Yeah, I picked up on that - looks like the size went down by a fair bit, almost half. :)

Only thing is that I'll need to put the trims back in for the Sobek.
-C

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Please check Mantis 877 (http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000877) as it seems rear-side laser turrets in ATEN (mv_models 3.6.8. delta) are nearly always hidden even if you are just in front of them. (You have to move and move and move till you find a good line of fire).

[attachment deleted by admin]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
If you mean the targeting reticle showing a diamond instead of a square, that's a POF bug that I honestly don't know the cause of.  The aten has gone through its share of revisions, and the turret issues have been common to just about all of them.

If it's actually dissapearing, then something should be done.  However, I don't know how to fix what I think is happening.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
If you mean the targeting reticle showing a diamond instead of a square, that's a POF bug that I honestly don't know the cause of.  The aten has gone through its share of revisions, and the turret issues have been common to just about all of them.

Yes, it's target reticle appearing as diamond, (it's hidden as if it were in the other side of the craft), so, as an example, missiles don't damage the turret.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hey, where's my Dis? :(

I'm also having significant problems taking out the button turrets on the Aten, and some of my shots pass right through the Satis. I suppose the Aten is my responsibility (since I created it) but I don't know about the Satis.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:08:47 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
If you mean the targeting reticle showing a diamond instead of a square, that's a POF bug that I honestly don't know the cause of. The aten has gone through its share of revisions, and the turret issues have been common to just about all of them.

That might be a code bug. Some TBP models show the same behaviour in recent builds, but worked fine in older builds. I remember that the diamond/square subsystem brackets were accidentally flipped at one point. Maybe it's a bug relic of that ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, this problem with the HTL Aten has been there since it was added and is NOT an SCP bug.  If it is, its been there for a LONG time... at least a year and a half, as I encountered it while playing STL before I joined up with TBP.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Dat and De Oder Ting.  :p
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Somewhere in the vicinity of Dat and De Oder Ting.  :p

Good one, but as I'm Spanish I must correct you: "Dat and di oder Cing".  ;) HLP is great for language learning...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Another consideration for the next set of MediaVPs, since I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this publicly, is that interface graphics can be uncompressed DDS.  This means that the splash screen and logo, along with loading screens, can be DDS so that you don't have to include both PCX and TGA versions of those screens.  Uncompressed DDS will work regardless of whether or not you can use compressed DDS, don't have to be power-of-2, have multiple image formats, and you don't need -jpgtga (or any other option) to use them.

With uncompressed DDS you can have 16-bit images with 1-byte alpha, 24-bit images with no alpha, or 32-bit images with full 8-bit alpha.  This gives full flexibility to show just the amount of color that you need.  Since uncompressed DDS images don't have to be power-of-2 (only compressed DDS do) they will work well at any size.  Just remember to not make mipmaps for them. :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Here's the tbm fix for weapon_expl which makes sure only the new flak effect gets used, since it doesn't appear to have been posted here yet...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Oh and here is the fix for the SF Dragon which will make it use LOD0 for the hud targetbox, so it doesn't look so crappy until the new hi-poly can be completed...

And I'm attaching the tbm I'm using for Lightspeed's improved nebula.  This does require a CVS build though (nothing released so far will work with this) so no one should try using this until the next CVS build gets released, unless you already build from CVS yourself...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ask and you shall (eventually) recieve :)

Orion (plus Galatea and Bastion) with that pesky turret fixed

If anyone wants a laugh, open the old HTL Orion in modelview, go to LOD 2, and turn rotation on.  Oops.  :nervous:

The dragon, on the other hand, may take a little longer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 08:10:51 pm by StratComm »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Axem

Me and Wanderer found a few problems with the high poly Deimos. First, the right dock is on the left side, and the left dock is on the right side (That messed me up real good today).

Second, the path ships take to dock with it are very broken.

http://www.game-warden.com/narfin/campaigns/adockingtest.fs2

Here's a sample mission showing how an Argo gracefully docks with a Deimos. I tried messing around with the radius of the Deimos' docking points, which didn't look right (they went 31, 9.5, 9.4, 12, 0.9), but I didn't notice much difference. In FRED the paths look fine, but obviously there is something wrong.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Unfortunately whatever you're seeing is a retail bug and not one with the high-poly Deimos in particular.  I took special care not to alter things like that when I did the most recent conversion, and in fact everything that would be a factor in docking was directly imported off of the :v: model.  And now here's the problem: we are mandated to not break retail behavior, and like it or not the Deimos and whatever docking bugs it might suffer are equally retail behavior (and there may exist campaigns that actually use the old behavior).  Sorry Axem.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If you are so determined not to fix retail bugs.. then why are doing HTL or otherwise improved models at all?  :wtf:

For example HTL Aeolus has its top front turret currently functional multipart turret which differs from retail behaviour. Same goes for all (singlepart/non-functional multipart -> functional multipart) turret fixes that have been made as they break the retail behaviour in exatcly similar way (= fix a retail bug). Also with that logic there is no point of fixing Charybdis turrets (or Mentu, or Typhon) even though the some firepoints are separated far from the hull or shoot only through the hull (as some one may have done a mod that may utilize that 'feature') even if it is clearly not the desired behaviour even in the retail.

Fixing a broken dockpoint paths seems relatively minor compared to those.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
If you are so determined not to fix retail bugs.. then why are doing HTL or otherwise improved models at all?  :wtf:

And now here's the problem: we are mandated to not break retail behavior, and like it or not the Deimos and whatever docking bugs it might suffer are equally retail behavior (and there may exist campaigns that actually use the old behavior).

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Then why have they (you) fixed the turrets?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Axem

Not touching turrets, I can understand, those will affect the balancing of missions. But what campaign would use a transport diving halfway into a Deimos as default behaviour (excluding DEM or JAD)? If anything it completely breaks the mood of the whole atmosphere.