Author Topic: your -ambient_factor and -max_subdivide levels  (Read 3573 times)

Offline shwiing

your -ambient_factor and -max_subdivide levels
so im on a mission to get my freespace to look as good as possible, so what are your settings for ambiant ans ub divide levels. mine are as follows
-ambient_factor 100 -max_subdivide 3.5
please post a screenshot of ingame for a reference of what it looks like i will post one of mine asap

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: your -ambient_factor and -max_subdivide levels
-max_subdivide doesn't do anything so don't bother with that one.

-ambient_factor levels of 75 to 85 (depending on your monitor settings) generally look the best.  Personally, I prefer 78 with my LCD on DVI input, and 84 when using the VGA input.

Quality also depends on what build you are using and whether you are using D3D or OpenGL.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I use an ambient factor of 90 and it looks pretty good to me. Anything under 100 generally looks far better than the default, whatever it is.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I thought 100 was the default ?

Anything between 75 and 90 can look good, depending on your tastes.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I'm using -ambient_factor as low as 65. I feel it gives more of a realistic graphics when the shadows actually are dark.

Of course it depends of the monitor settings too.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline shwiing

hmm, lol ill try that..
ok, so lowering the ambiant factor makes it look better??, what does lowering or increasing it do?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:42:23 pm by shwiing »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
It affects the amount of ambient (background) light that has no direction like the light from a star has.

Ambient light comes from every direction, and on default settings it is much too high for a real space. It causes the shadowed (or actually, non-illuminated side as FSO doesn't support shadows) side of objects to "shine out", whereas in the real space it would be almost or completely dark.

So, the default setting is quite high, and lowering it makes the game a bit darker in overall appearance, makes shadows sharper and other nice stuff like that. As I said, I like it when I almost can't even see the dark sides of the ships. -ambient_factor 65 is good for this, I've found. Most seem to keep it a little brighter in, say, 75 or so.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I use an ambient factor of 30, game looks great.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Might need to try that.

Ambient light comes from every direction, and on default settings it is much too high for a real space

I agree with you in that Herra Tohtori.

I also start using low ambient_factor values, I mean, the only reason why I don't use it, is because I and I believe , other people too, has get used to it since it was very britght in FS2 retail.

I use an ambient factor of 30, game looks great.

I'll start to use this, planets benefit a lot from this.....

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I'm using ambient_factor 00...  Could be even darker imho.  :nervous:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'm using ambient_factor 00...  Could be even darker imho.  :nervous:
It has emissive light (in OGL at least) which keeps it from being totally dark.  Ambient light is light generated from the sun(s) (per game usage anyway) and emissive light is an overall sort of glow from objects.  -ambient_factor affects the ambient light level, but things can easily go totally black for surfaces not facing a sun.  The emissive light levels are kept very low to prevent this from happening, but it means that a scene can't truely be totally black.

I had added a registry option to disable emissive light when I was redoing the OpenGL light code, but removed that before the new code hit CVS.  I could possibly be convinced to make it a cmdline option until the new launcher is ready (it would be an ini file option at that point) if enough people want it.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
*convinces taylor* ;)

Would be really nice to have. If the new launcher won't come out this month a command line option would be great!
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Would be really nice to have. If the new launcher won't come out this month a command line option would be great!
I'm not sure when I'll get to the new launcher.  The power supply in my Linux workstation died last week so I haven't been able to work on much of anything.  A replacement is on the way (damn specialty crap) but with all of my code on a machine that can't boot up, I haven't had much to do. :)

I've still got my Mac to fall back on though and I can easily use it to add the cmdline option since it would only take about 5 minutes to do.  I'll see if I can add it to CVS later today.

EDIT:  Ok, it's in.  The option is -no_emissive_light, and it won't be listed in the current launcher so don't bother looking for it.  I thought about doing an -emission_factor type thing instead but decided against that for now.  Maybe I'll do that at a later date if enough people care.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:50:29 am by taylor »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Great! I'll test it and tell you how it works as soon as the next CVS build comes out. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)