Author Topic: Normal maps acting crazy; anyone have any ideas?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Normal maps acting crazy; anyone have any ideas?
So yeah, I get this:

Nothing I do seems to want to fix that. It was working fine before, then I made some adjustments. I can't remember what it was now, but it doesn't seem to want to go away.

It was starting to look pretty good until this happened. :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Re: Normal maps acting crazy; anyone have any ideas?
Are you sure you saved the map as DXT5N?

Offline bkd86

Post your texture and the normal map.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's just the stock texture with the normal map on it.

Uploaded in .rar to preserve it.

I'd have a better way of making normal maps if DaBrain would get back to me on his method! :P

[EDIT] Well this is certainly odd. It doesn't look right in Irfanview.

[EDIT2] Ok, looking at it from a different program, it's got a lot of artifacting.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:21:40 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Looking at the texture, it looks like you've got random noise overlayed on both the green and alpha channels. The normal map is working correctly though - you can see it through the noise.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What's causing the noise, then?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, as previously stated, be sure to save it as DTX5-NM and not just DTX5. Also ensure that your alpha channel on all the maps are clear.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's saved as DXT5_NM, and I just mess around with emboss and nVidia's Normal Map Filter. it gave me better results than what I had before, but now it's suddenly going "Hello, you've got noise!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hmm, found it. Apparently "fastest compression" doesn't mean "more compressed" as I thought it did. set the compression method to Production and it all works now.

Offline Kaine

Hmm, found it. Apparently "fastest compression" doesn't mean "more compressed" as I thought it did. set the compression method to Production and it all works now.

"Fastest" means it's the fastest in computational terms, that is, it takes the least CPU cycles to complete. Usually means least compression &/or most artefacts, depending on the kind of compression you're doing.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
That's just perfect if you wanted to on purpose have a really old looking or over-used escape pod :yes:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Looks like it landed someplace with acidic athmosphere ;)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Everyone gets the new escape pods, but you get old dependable with the captain ;)

Seriously though, great way to make an old looking escape pod. This method of modifying the normal maps to make a craft look old could also be applied to other models utilizing normal maps as well. I know the pegasus stealth fighter piloted by the transcendant would strike more fear by making it look like it's been around for a while (sort of like scar in bsg just to point out as an example), in the least help set the point that the transcendant has been around for and has apparent experience.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:26:51 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I really don't see how it looks old. :wtf:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
The ****ed up normal map gives off the impressions of paint chipping away and getting hit by tons of micro meteorites.

SMBFD

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Not to my eye. They just look crappy and glitchy. Chipped paint and other marks of old age (impact marks and dents) would be better shown by actually putting them into the textures, not relying on something as chaotic as compression artefacts on the normal map... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well sure it looks crappy. I'm sure there's better ways to simulate micro meteorite impacts and paint chipping away. This however was a really great unintentional crappy way of doing it. Eye of the beholder here, sure it looks crappy, but the crappy normal map makes it look old and beat up in my head. That's pretty cool to me for something that was accidental. :)

EDIT: The chaoticness of the normal map is cool. But, they're not really so chaotic, the artifacts are only in the areas of the escape pod where there are supposed to be metalic nooks, crannies, indentations (which happens to be all over the ship). So yeah the whole ship is covered up in artifacts, but mainly spreading out from the areas that the normal map was to bring out the nooks, crannies, and indentations along the hull.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:13:13 am by S-99 »

SMBFD