Author Topic: Hello, I Finally Registered!  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Hello, I Finally Registered!
I realized today that I should have done this many years ago, but I finally did it. FreeSpace 1 was the second game I ever played, and that was probably 12 years ago in elementary school. It took me until high school to discover you guys, and I'm incredibly happy I did, I'm still not sure why it took me so long to make an account, but in spite of how busy I've gotten, I keep coming back here for a respite and to see what you guys are up to, and every time, I find something new to be impressed by.

Some cutesy facts:
I started playing FreeSpace with a trackball mouse (and have returned to that). In the interim I used the weird joystick/mouse thing in the middle of old Lenovo/IBM laptop keyboards to play (you'd be surprised at how well this works, along with the trackball).

I'm a game design student and I run a tiny, insignificant Youtube channel where I try and spread some discussion around the internet <30 views at a time and videos when my schedule allows.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FiresteelGameAnalysis

EDIT: Wow was I tired when I wrote this last night. It felt so much longer. I guess I should say a little more in retrospect. Way back before I discovered HLP, I tried making mods (and were they terrible, but hey, I was 10 or 12 back then). Seeing the work being done here, and studying computer science along with game design, has certainly re-sparked my interest in FreeSpace modding, as I might actually be able execute on concepts now that I wasn't when I had no clue what I was doing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:38:26 pm by Firesteel »
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Hello, I Finally Registered!
That would be a trackpoint.  Someone else here swears by them as well (sorry, can't remember who off the top of my head).

You can actually buy a USB keyboard with one of those (which I just found out while looking up the image!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191555517852?lpid=82&chn=ps

yeah, sure, 'trackpoint'

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Welcome to the show! HLP can always use creative people with cool ideas! :D
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I had no idea those were available on USB keyboards! I haven't used one in quite a while (the trackpoint that is). The first computer I had FreeSpace running on was an IBM T-51 if I remember right. Thanks for the welcomes everyone!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED