Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 46985 times)

"Look at the size of that thing!"
I thought we were done arguing about this? :confused:

Originally posted by EtherShock

How else can you show off your Star Wars technical knowledge. We dorks just love our egos. :)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yes...StarWars-fanboyism knows no boundaries!!!!111
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by EtherShock

obviously, but since I love to ass**** flies (if that expression doesn't exists in english, you have to adopt it :p)...

Man, really, be happy Killmenow isn't around anymore, coz he's the worst SW fanboy I've ever seen, paired with the worst argumenter I've ever heard :p (worst as in you'll always be wrong and he will spend a day long proving you he's right :p)
SCREW CANON!

I think there IS a speed boost/afterburner in Star Wars. Remember the start of Episode III? The Jedi Starfighters boosted once around the time they did that barrel roll(s)

That was probably them accelerating to attack speed. The Falcon has a few engine bursts as well...or it could just be for (gasp) visual flair. :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Nico
then you haven't understood his post, or your comment is irrelevant or something, but that's not making sense, what you're saying now, and what you replied to him :p
Because:

I'd say yes, you obviously have said it wasn't :p

No, it is you who doesn't make any sense: The equator and the trench are not the same. The screenshot is about the equator, which is not the same as the trench the rebel flew into.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yes, and Thrawn said the equator trench was that way, and not the way the bomb run trench was. He pointed out the diffrences, you see? Ah but never mind, I don't care.
SCREW CANON!

OK peeps, cut this discussion. I watched the ANH DVD and the Rebel briefing diagram shows multiple trenches that lead to the north pole. I've made the necesarry changes following that diagram. Can we please chill out now. I'll have a NEW and IMPROVED trench placed in the right spot in a couple of hours.

Heres a clip of a re-greebled trench. I'm still trying to figure out how to greeble the surrounding landscape so it will blend with the trench. This is a FULL 120 km diameter DS. Though canon sized, the curvature is still there but is not as pronounced. Onlythe first couple of seconds  does the game run at a 2x time compression, but the trench entrance is running at 1x at a full 80 fps. I have increased the speed of the Xwing to 320 max engine power.

http://www.penguinbomb.com/omniscaper/WIPS/DSv2.wmv
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:42:53 pm by 1582 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh, pretty. :)

Can you post a video of the X-Wing running at 100 m/s?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nice :), that is exactly the sort of detail I made that code for, you've used it perfictly as far as I can tell. do what you did with the sides of the trench only just the top, and make some of the segment boxes diferent sizes. two or three more levels of detail would perfect this, it'd be nice if there were lots of little pipes and shit.
but it's just great that someone has finaly made the full potential of one of my less instantly spectacular little code tricks.

have you posted any of this stuff on any SW sites, XWUP maybe would be interested in helping out
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:09:33 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
My God...that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in this game :D

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
the trench is almost nearly perfect:)
I don't like that much the transitions (which I realize that are necessary) and the difference between the trench and the rest of the DS. Keep experimenting omni, it's turning out wonderful;)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
woah....just woah.

Nice touch simulating the camerea movements seen in the movie when entering the trench ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

My brain is about to explode!!!

I'm starting to think that perhaps the trench sequence should be a seperate POF "arena" that can be loaded when the player reaches a certain distance from the the DS model.

I'm having trouble trying to greeble a sphere with a SANE amount of polygons. Styxx's pluggin can handle so much, but I think a 2 millon polygon DS maybe pushing it too far.

I'm gonna try making a 20km plane of greebles with the trench. This will also solve the curvature which a number of you folks dislike anyways.

Anyone have any suggestions as to an alternate method of making this?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try the 2 million model, just to see what would happen, as long as it isn't too horable to get the detail boxes done.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

The pluggin would just crash after 3 minutes of processing. I've yet to break the 180k barrier.

What is the maximum number of subobjects allowed?

Can you get us a screenshot of what it looks like with the Shadows Build used on the Battlestar Galactica model recently?

The shadow build.. LOL. With 180k polys... I forsee DOOM!!!! I'm having trouble at the moment getting the thing to convert at its current 250k poly. I'm attempting to greeble the ENTIRE sphere.... perhaps thats a bit too NUTS. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:46:10 am by 1582 »