Author Topic: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)  (Read 38755 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'm really interested in seeing this textured now....
-C

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Eep. (Although I do hope you plan on fixing that spike thingy :D ) That looks plenty intimidating. If you don't mind me asking, what's the circle thing for? Dockpoint?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
It's the EYE!  :D

Seriously, looking very good  :yes:

Offline Solatar

Looks like an über huge beam cannon.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The moloch does have a missile turret in that position but the angle seems slightly odd when compared with the turrets normal in modelview (It points 45 degrees up there).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Eep. (Although I do hope you plan on fixing that spike thingy :D ) That looks plenty intimidating. If you don't mind me asking, what's the circle thing for? Dockpoint?

That front spike is actully in front of the model, I just caught it by accident in the render. As for the eye like thing, I would guess it's an eye, since I saw it first in the Con art. And it looked cool. :D

Hmm, I really forgot about that missile turret.  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 11:22:51 am by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Looking great!
I say make that Eye the missile turret. If the FREDder wants he can put a beam there later on.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Galemp's suggestion seconded.

Hmm... the hole.

Dear god, why does that turn me on?

If thats a missle turret, then thats one big ass missle for the shivans to fit in.......... ;7

Offline starfox

IMO, beam cannon would also do, as the Shivans tend to put all their heavy firepower in front. For example Sathanas, Ravana, Rakshasa, Lillith and so on...

But as said, missile turret is equally great, which brings a question:
What does that missile turret fire ? Errrm, missiles or heavy torpedoes ?

Great work on the Moloch....
 :yes:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Would it change the dynamic if you put a fairly powerful beam cannon on the front.. but with a very small FOV (it's very forward firing..)?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It would unballance several missions, so its best if the additional turret was optional, like the flank claw turrets on the Lucifer.  The weapon I would chose to put there would be the LRed.  I always thought that the Moloch could use more of a punch, as it has the same number and type of anti-cap beams as the Rakshasa.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Solatar

Optional like the Lucifer side turrets = good. I'd love to see the Moloch have some more firepower, but not when I'm already getting my arse whooped in the main fs2 campaign. :D

It also kind fits with the foreward firing heavy firepower design ethos of the Shivan warships (Lucifer, Sathanas, Ravana, etc.)

EDIT: Seems I was beaten to the punch by a post on the other page, lol.

Offline starfox

Assuming, the forward weapon will be missile launcher, are there any Shivan missiles/torpedoes available ?
I vaguely remember few missiles, something named Iblis and Shivan version of Hornet, they were quite neat.
Then again, I can't really remember...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Solatar

Torpedos aren't really a freespace 2 thing as far as I know (except some bombs are referred to as torpedos sometimes). Basically I think the reason for this is that a) you launch a single warhead at a target, it'll get shot down because it'll become a primary target for everything and b) it's not as flashy as a beam. Not to say you couldn't add one in. I think a small Shivan Super Laser (beam variant probably) type thing would be cool. It looks like the cannon runs the length of the ship, so it'd be feasable to stick in a less über version.

All with an optional table of course. But if you just made it an optional subsystem at all, everybody could change it to have whatever they want in it if they wanted it at all. If the table entry isn't there for it, then it's just a cool looking eye thing.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Does the AI use beams in primary slots? If so, that seems like a handy use for it...could make it interesting if someone wanted to make one of those player-flyable capship mods that crop up every now and then.
-C

Offline WeatherOp

The front missile turret fits perfectly in there.

Allthough, it does now have a VW logo look to it. ;7

thats hot..... :D

Offline WeatherOp

Ok, A question. As it stands I am at 5,900 polys, with detailing on the top half allmost done. So, should I add stuff to the bottom spikes, or leave them as is? If I do I expect about 300 more polys added on.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I think we all know that you know that polies =/= quality.

If you can finish it with the least polies possible and it can still look great, you've really done your job.

Might wanna add some mini-touches, then texture it for us to see in fullness.