Author Topic: Is it possible to make a pulsar model/background and have it flash?  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Starks

Is it possible to make a pulsar model/background and have it flash?
I have sick idea for a mission.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Re: Is it possible to make a pulsar model/backgrou
animated textures should work...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
On a model, creative use of glowpoints could do nicely as well.  It would make placement a little trickier, but would certainly be doable.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Is it possible to make a pulsar model/background and have it flash?
The updated starfield code does make this a more viable option that it used to be.  Previously it would load all bitmaps (into bitmap slots, not into memory) on game startup so animated starfield bitmaps would take up bitmap slots whether you used them or not.  The newer code (part of the update to give stars.tbl dynamic limits) loads the bitmaps only at mission load and removes anything still loaded that isn't needed for the new mission.  This saves greatly on bitmap slots so you should be able to get away with using animated starfield bitmaps (for background nebula and for suns) a bit more easily, though you still have to be careful about using too many in one mission.

Offline bfobar

I need to figure out how to do that and make some animated coronas for the suns and stuff. It wouldn't even have to be fast, just change a frame every 15 seconds or so.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, I know this is going to sound really odd, but if you are going to include something with regular flashing periods such as a Pulsar in FS2, try to keep the Flash above about 1.5 seconds. Any faster than that and it has the possiblity of triggering fits in Epileptics etc.

A really odd sounding request, I know, but since Sharon has Epilepsy, these things tend to pop into my head ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Even going that 'slow', it would still be a major distraction in-mission...unless it's supposed to be central.
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

What, like, molesting baby vasudans?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline bfobar

Well, I know this is going to sound really odd, but if you are going to include something with regular flashing periods such as a Pulsar in FS2, try to keep the Flash above about 1.5 seconds. Any faster than that and it has the possiblity of triggering fits in Epileptics etc.

A really odd sounding request, I know, but since Sharon has Epilepsy, these things tend to pop into my head ;)

Good point, but luckily if you were actually close to a pulsar in space, you would probably see a small little star with two beams coming out of it. The beams aren't on the rotation axis which gives the pulsar it's pulse if the beam points towards earth. up close it would just kind of look like a couple of searchlights sweeping around so the light intensity wouldn't change and therefore shouldn't cause any problems.

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
You wouldn't see the beams from the side, you only see the light if the beam is directed at you.

From far away it looks just like a blinking star, from up close it would probably look like any ordinary neutron star.

Not that a animated pulsar with visible beams wouldn't look cool, just not very scientific accurate.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline bfobar

You wouldn't see the beams from the side, you only see the light if the beam is directed at you.

From far away it looks just like a blinking star, from up close it would probably look like any ordinary neutron star.

Not that a animated pulsar with visible beams wouldn't look cool, just not very scientific accurate.

They'd be visible, they just wouldn't be bright compared to viewing straight down the barrel. There is enough material in the space around a neutron star to illuminate the beam. It's like a searchlight. You can make out the light beam of a search light aimed away from you from the faint illumination of the particles in the path of the beam. Aim the searchlight straight at your face and you get blinded.

The beams are also magneto-particle beams so electrons and protons in the beams will scatter and interact, leading to a visible beam from synchotron radiation. (well, visible in the broad sense of emitting em radiation. visible spectrum light may be washed out by the central star in neutron star energy spectra. I'll look that up.)

Here is a picture of a bipolar jet not viewed head on to prove my point. It's from a galactic core black hole in the giant Elliptical galaxy m87, but the physics are the same as a neutron star, and a neutron star polar jet should be just as bright when viewed from within a few AU.

although this image is false color near infrared mixed with near ultraviolet on the red and blue channels, the jet is visible throughout the optical spectrum.

also cool: time lapse video in x-ray and infrared of the crab nebula pulsar.
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~bfobar/astronomy/2002-24-a-low_mpeg.mpg
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:38:56 am by bfobar »

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Not quite, those giant jets from supermassive black holes are formed of all kinds of very hot particles, thus emitting throughout the EM spectrum.

Pulsars on the other hand are mostly emitting in the radio wavelenghts, that's how they were discovered in the first place. A few were found to emitt X-rays or gamma rays, and if a nebula happens to be near them, they can light the nebula particles up, but that's in the X-ray spectrum too (as in the crab nebula video)

My point is just that a pulsar would be rather boring to look at in the visible spectrum.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
if there are pulsars that emit radio waves, at the really low end of the EM spectrum, and pulsars that emit gamma rays, at the opposite end of the spectrum, it makes sense that somewhere there would be a pulsar that might emit in between the two extremes

at least, simply for the purpose of looking frakking awesome
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline bfobar

Pulsar jets emit because of synchotron radiation. If it emits in gamma rays, it emits in visible light too. From a few AU away, a pulsar probably looks pretty wild visibly.

Offline Starks

What, like, molesting baby vasudans?

Space Crack drug busting.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse