Author Topic: Star Field Wishlist  (Read 19208 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i just wish the blur stars in the background could maybe have a band, like an arm of the milky way, just an area of higher density.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline neoterran

Someone tell me the reason Lightspeed left is because he was approached by a company to work his magic for a brand new, DX9 or OpenGL2.0 level, pixel shaded space combat game.  :p
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
It does need a lot more smaller stars sprinkled in it though. I think just bumping the star limit in FSO beyond the default 2000 (which is way too low) would help a lot with that.
I never really liked that original starfield I made, so here's the new one:

Maybe not just what kazan wanted, but lightyears ahead the normal starfield of FS2.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
appears to be the same as the standard starfield
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
It's a step to the right way. But it still doesn't look like this.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
star "lanes" is definantly one thing i want it to do

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
appears to be the same as the standard starfield
You know, I could almost take that as an insult  :D Trust me, especially ingame it makes a big difference.

I like my starfields subtle, so they won't distract me too much. But each to his own, I guess.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I like my starfields subtle, so they won't distract me too much. But each to his own, I guess.
Of course that picture is too crowded and a background like that would make you blind. But seek out your monitor brightness fiddler, and turn it down. As the smaller stars fade out of view, it becomes almost perfect. :yes:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

To be fair, I don't think BSG looks like that either (it's really close to pitch black most of the time).

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
when the ****ing hell did i say huge?

do me a favor and NEVER presume something i didn't say

ever

i mean it

that pisses me off ESPECIALLY IN ARGUMENTS

Andromeda is big enogh that it was considered a nebulae before we knew there were other galaxies! 

Even under suburban skies you should be able to see it with your naked eyes, as a 1° fuzzy patch of light. If you live in an area with heavy light pollution, try to find it with binoculars (or your finderscope).

http://www.backyard-astro.com/focusonarchive/andromeda/andromeda.html

more accurate:

M31 is 178x63 (arc min) http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m031.html
the LMC is 650x550 (arc min) http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/lmc.html
the SMC is 280 x 160 (arc min) http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/smc.html

so the answer to your question is: Yes, they can be naked eye distinguishable!

In a game?  At normal resolutions?

I'll admit, I got seconds backwards, meaning to say minutes.  Silly conversion and I do know better.  But the horizontal angle in FS is supposed to encompass at least what, 45 degrees?  More?  I can't remember what the default FOV actually is, but that would tell you.  At that scale, two arc minutes would be represented by about a pixel, give or take, at most "standard" resolutions.  One pixel drops down to closer to 1.5 arcseconds at 1600x1200.  At that scale, the argument becomes making them a placeable bitmap, not part of the starfield.  But that's not really my point.

I've done a fair bit of stargazing in my day, and while I have used a (relatively powerful) telescope to actually look at Andromeda before, I can certainly say that it's not something that just leaps out of the night sky at you.  Even if you know what you're looking for, you can see that it's there and that it's perhaps blurrier than its neighbors, but you can't say "gee, that's really big in comparison" because the part of it that has an apparent magnitude greater than six is not substantially bigger than a star.  You can't make out the disk with the naked eye, and you can't see its full extents without masking the residual starlight from around it.  It's not like I'm living in a cave here; I'm talking out of personal experience and it just isn't big enough IMHO to put in to a game at all.  Now the magellenic clouds, on the other hand, are outside the scope of this discussion.  One, they aren't disks, and really are hard to distinguish from an ordinary clump of stars if you don't realize what they are.  Two, they aren't highly structured, so clumping a bunch of stars together would do fine.  I've never been south of the equator so I don't know what those clouds look like from a normal perspective, but they certainly don't fit in the same argument as "look at this disk, isn't it pretty."

Also of real importance is that Freespace is a space combat game, not an astronomical simulator.  If someone playing it is sitting there long enough to go "hey, that's not a star, it's a galaxy" then something is seriously wrong.  Unless you want them large enough to be trackable features, in which case they should be done as background bitmaps using the system we already have.  Either-or.  There is absolutely no reason to spend time that could be better spent elsewhere implimenting something that, when all is said and done, will be either virtually unnoticable or just downright silly.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i never said any of the things in my initial post had to be done through coding so do not assume so

all things can be done with backgrounds, but some of them (particularily the starfield things) could be better done in the starfield sprite code

Representations of SMC, LMC, Andromeda and Triangulum would be NICE to have even if yuo have to apply some magnification to Andromeda and Triangulum

it would be PRETTY

however we've been arguing about by far the LEAST important thing on the list and ignoring the important onest hat would have a much greater impact

star distribution and variance

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Personaly, I want it to be more like the I-War 2 starfeilds, where stars are actualy glowing points of light, rather than pixels, and the stars shine in different colours and intensities.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
And I quote (thread title):

Quote from: Kazan
Star Field Wishlist

Which, when combined with four distinctly code-based alterations (before and after) in your original post, only logically falls code-side too in your original proposition.  If you intended it otherwise, it should have been stated explicitly there.

I've never even said anything negative about starfield dispersal (I think it'd be a great idea, really) or even diversity, other than to point out that stars on the background are already more diverse than you're giving them credit for.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
there is no magnitude diversity

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well if this isn't code related it should be in FSUP.

Which is where it's going now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It is actually majority code-related, unfortunately ;)

there is no magnitude diversity

Look at that picture I posted one more time, please, before you go saying something that's patently false.  Specifically, see the two stars near the upper right small whisp.  There's a noticable - not huge, but noticable - difference between two adjacent stars.  Now I'll freely admit that the starfield in that picture is crap.  It was a test mission and I never raised the density, and I'm not going to try to hide that.  But you cannot say that there is no difference in magnitude when there is actually quite a bit of variety in both the intensity and color of the stars in the engine as of a year ago.  I don't know how long it's been like that, but it's not just a bunch of identical points of light.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Man, i'll take the starfields that came in 3.6.7vp's over retail starfield.
Galaxies sound cool as hell too:)
I'm sort of split on whether or not galaxies should be in the star field.
After finding out a couple are visible to the eye from the atmosphere.
Go ahead and toss them in:p
But, that spiral galaxy didn't look too nice :(
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ok there is a very little ammount of magnitude diversity

i want some stars with higher magnitudes and I want banding

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
ok there is a very little ammount of magnitude diversity

i want some stars with higher magnitudes and I want banding

I still am thinking that you have not actually run a semi-recent build.  What more diversity do you want?

And of course I'm not talking about banding.  Please, lets add banding.  That would only help visual quality and be noticable in doing so.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i'm currently playing latest official release

i'm talking major magnitude diversity - some bright stars like the open cluster Subaru along with general background stars, other open clusters, globular clusters, star lanes, etc