Author Topic: Mysterious Transport  (Read 17145 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Will this be a light freighter a la the Millennium Falcon (there are two n's in Millennium, by the way) or a transport such as the Rebel Medium Transport?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I suppose it is sort of becoming corellian in nature. I hadn't really considered it, though it will be bigger than the Millennium Falcon. I figured people must live on it quite permanently, since in the movie it's just floating out in space with the fleet. The crew would work out of one pod, passengers and rebellion personnel in the second.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I suppose it is sort of becoming corellian in nature. I hadn't really considered it, though it will be bigger than the Millennium Falcon. I figured people must live on it quite permanently, since in the movie it's just floating out in space with the fleet. The crew would work out of one pod, passengers and rebellion personnel in the second.

random idea, mobile rebel listening post.  lets face it to work effectively the alliance would need a means to monitor Imperial activity, they dont have re resources of the empire to dispatch hundreds of expendable probe droids, fixed installations can be easily detected so why not a mobile platform that could change position to avoid detection, improve its chances of  and move area of operation faster than it would take to set up a fixed listening post there would also be all sorts of explanations as to why its moving around the fleet such as repair, replenishment, crew change.  The pod thing at the side would be where all the mission equipment would be kept and at the size you are on about it could be feasible for long periods in space
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I dunno, I think that our shipset would be better bolstered by more transports rather than a listening post.  Especially considering one could easily chalk up the rebellion's knowledge of Imperial movements to spies and sympathizers on thousands of worlds, along with all the freighter captains and smugglers that are secretly helping them out as they pass through various systems.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
fair enough, in my defense it was 1.30 am when i posted that lol so not exactly firing on all cylinders
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
There are many weird vessels in the background around the Nebulon-B in that scene

I remember a whole web page dedicated to them somewhere... but it seems to have shut down.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hey look and at the same angle in relation to the camera

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
From this angle, it looks like a messed up Y-wing.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Considering that scene was part of a movie, shouldn't there be at least several other frames showing that ship, some of which ought to have at least slightly different angles of it?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Considering that scene was part of a movie, shouldn't there be at least several other frames showing that ship, some of which ought to have at least slightly different angles of it?

i blame accountants

Indeed, you are correct sir. So, I popped episode V into my computer, scrolled on over to the end of the film and grabbed some screens. I think you'll all be pleasantly interested.
The first three shots are as the camera gets closer and the angle changes. I blew each capture up to the same size, which is why the first two seem blurry.
The fourth shot was captured after Luke and Lando have their dialogue and the Falcon departs, immediately before the credits roll. I believe that ship above the frigate's spine is the same transport, but from behind.
EDIT: Really, this is not to poo all over bobbtmann's excellent imagination and work on the freighter so far. Just to satisfy anybody's curiosity.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:10:11 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That 3rd shot is pretty nice, Scourge; looks like a kitbash made with a couple corvette heads to me.  Does anyone by chance have the high res version of ESB that way floating around a while back, I think with Adywan's color corrections?  Just curious, cause this scene seems to have a collection of unknown original trilogy ships, and it'd be cool to see them with a bit better definition.

Right. That was what I was refering to parallax motion. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy of "The Empire Strikes Back", so youtube was providing me all my reference. I must say that Scourge of Ages third screenshot is very nice and clear.  It also looks like my original sketch was more accurate than my post-video watching version. Oh well.

An update:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That, Sir, is glorious.  ;) :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I like everything about it except for the globes at the front.  They just don't seem to jive with the rest of the design or with SW designs as a whole, in my opinion.  Not quite sure what I'd do with them though, unfortunately.

The rest of it, however, is fantastic, can't wait to see it fully textured with greebles and everything!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:32:05 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Maybe shrink them down and use some sort of variation on a WWII bomber nose canopy?  I think that was the inspiration for the Falcon's cockpit, so it would be in keeping if this were a Corellian design.  I agree that the bubbles are a bit out of place for SW, but I like the rest of it a lot. :yes:

Offline newman

Maybe use more ww2 bombers for inspiration? If they're spheroid thingies, maybe take inspiration from a b-17 or a liberator ball turret? Something along these lines? http://www.untoldvalor.com/images/ball_turret_ad_great_shot.jpg
Don't even have to be turrets, mind you - just throwing ideas about.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

The world war II bomber solution seems to be popping up a bit. My girlfriend also suggested a similar solution. I'll try breaking up the expanse of the bubble with some bracing elements.

All that and it's in-game too! Good job!