Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53469 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I'm sure we'll do a trailer once we're close to release (and we've gotten our visuals standardized and set up to match the movies as best we can) but for now we just don't have anyone whose time we can spare to do that sort of thing in a way that would do our assets justice.

That's cool, I was mostly kidding.  More than anything I was curious about the speed of the fighters relative to the size of the Home One.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Now that I look at it, isn't that thing too big? I think it was about 2.5km (going by the movies), and it looks much bigger.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Home One is really huge. It's actually one of the most accurately measurable big ships due to the docking bay that we see the Falcon, Lambda shuttle, and various fighters in. It's not in the same class as Executor, but definitely a whole lot bigger than an ISD.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yep, 3.8km. It's huge.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Makes sense. That's one heck of a ship. :) I hope we'll eventually get a "standard" (or at least normally sized) MC80, too. Home One is awesome, but as a one of a kind ship, it's uses are kind of limited, especially in an Imperial campaign where you'd want a big ship for your ISD mothership to blow up. :) Right now, the biggest thing for it to swat is a Dreadnought Cruiser, not even a remotely matched fight.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We do have an AO-mapped Liberty somewhere, but no one's been able to finish texturing it and getting it in game.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I wish I knew someone with texturing skills and time to do it. Alas, I don't, and I'm not good at it myself, either. Maybe someone sees this and volunteers... :)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The ships looks really good but I find the texture looks a bit flat. Maybe a dirt bake could bring up the curvy shapes a bit?

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
IIRC Brand said it would be easier/better to redo the Liberty from scratch than to try to finish the one we've got on the ftp. The Liberty and Reef Home (wingless) variants should probably be done at the same time anyway as they used the same base filming models.

Home One is really huge. It's actually one of the most accurately measurable big ships due to the docking bay that we see the Falcon, Lambda shuttle, and various fighters in. It's not in the same class as Executor, but definitely a whole lot bigger than an ISD.

Uhh... No. Home One was only 1,300 meters long, which made it the biggest of the first set of Rebel cruisers. The contemporary MC80 and MC90 both came in at ~1,200 and ~1,255 meters, respectively. It was not until the advent of the Mediator class Battlecruisers (~8,500 meters) nearly 20 years later, that the Rebel Alliance/New Republic began earnestly using ships that outclassed Star Destroyers. Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Home_One
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
You missed the part where he said "measurable". The size is from on-screen measurements, not wookieepedia.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Here is some material on Home One's scale for reference.

"This prestigious warship was far larger than a commonplace, mile-long star destroyer of the Imperial Navy."

Even the wookiee link shows this image:
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Lots of the ship size information on wookiepedia comes from sources where it's pretty clear the authors just made something up. There's room for argument as to which scaling source should be used as not all the film information is consistent (scale discrepancies between interior sets and exterior model shots, etc.), but a 1300m Home One wouldn't be able to fit a Lambda shuttle in its side docking bays so that's not gonna work for us.

Wookieepedia is a stringent mess of misinformation. There is some good info available, but deciphering what is legit and what isn't is a nightmare if you don't already know. So it kind of defeats the purpose.

Their more recent policies have also made things counter productive. Instead of enforcing only authentic, properly sourced information is posted, it's made it frustratingly difficult to correct inaccurate info. Things tend to quickly degenerate into a revert war.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I thought we had this stated in the Noobie FAQ, but I guess we need to add something there to this effect:

The only Star Wars canon that we actually care about is what you see on screen during the Original Trilogy.  Throw everything else you know (or think you know) about Star Wars out the window, because we're going to trample all of that under our feet and stamp it into a gooey mess in the pursuit of perfectly capturing the look and feel of those movies like has never been done before.

I thought we had this stated in the Noobie FAQ, but I guess we need to add something there to this effect:

The only Star Wars canon that we actually care about is what you see on screen during the Original Trilogy.  Throw everything else you know (or think you know) about Star Wars out the window, because we're going to trample all of that under our feet and stamp it into a gooey mess in the pursuit of perfectly capturing the look and feel of those movies like has never been done before.
^^^ This is why I love you guys. :cool: :yes:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The problems start when you run into EU ships for which there's no real agreement. :) Not many of them here now, but I suppose they'll eventually crop up.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
The problems start when you run into EU ships for which there's no real agreement. :) Not many of them here now, but I suppose they'll eventually crop up.

Not too much of a problem there, either.  If it's not in the movies, we claim full artistic license to re-imagine it any way we see fit in an effort to make it better match the look and feel of the movie models.  Brand-X's Z-95 and E-Wing are great examples of that.

Now, granted, that's only applicable to what's officially included in the mod.  If anyone else wants to make their own maps and toss in their own ships, they can make those however they want.  You're not going to see it in any of the official campaigns though.

Offline Gank

Its very hard to find pictures of any ship in the EU that are consistant, pretty much every book, game and comic has reimagined them, on purpose or not, so i wouldnt worry too much about it. As long as they look good and are recognisable i dont think anyone will care, its been a long time since we had a game we could blow them up.

Nice model Bobbtman, looks fairl accurate. Any chance of getting your other ships onto p3d? Be interested in seeing the Rayter-class in particular

Also there was a liberty mentioned in he thread, dont suppose thats the one left over from the old team? if so someone needs to pm me