Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 324966 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
 :jaw:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Antares_Z13

• Improving skills by the day
:jaw:

Hmm? I take it you like my work? *rubs chin*
"Do or do not. There is no try." --Master Yoda

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This truly awesome :yes:, however the clouds are too sharp.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:45:55 am by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
very good! :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Antares_Z13

Thank you, thank you. I appreciate the responses. You don't know how happy that makes me.

Definitely great work mate; I dont currently have Photoshop sadly, think you could make it ready for use in FRED2? I'd love to make good use of it. =)
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Antares_Z13

Definitely great work mate; I dont currently have Photoshop sadly, think you could make it ready for use in FRED2? I'd love to make good use of it. =)

Don't know how to go about doing that atm. If someone explains then I can do it in my spare time or someone else can make it FRED ready. Right now I'm kinda busy with other tasks so I would prefer the latter.

Edit: SDM said something about converting the thing to .dds...I'm not sure if that's all I would need to do though.

Yeah, if i remember right, it would need to be a .dds and then tabled for use. I got a lot of custom skyboxes from others but i'm a little forgetful today. Thanks for the response though =) Perhaps I should try to load it in with Gimp though.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Putting planets in FSO in five easy steps

1. Make sure your planet has a transparent background. The atmosphere (if you have one) should nicely blend into transparency, not cut off anywhere.
2. Save your planet as a square power-of-two-resolution PNG (32 bpp RGBA, if you have the choice).
3. Use nvdxt (download here) to convert your file to DDS, options -dxt5 -quality_highest
4. Put the DDS in your mod's /data/effects folder, add the line $BitMapX: <your planet filename, no extension, also not the brackets> to your mod's -str.tbm
5. Profit!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:17:36 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Thanks for the reference FSF, it's a great resource to the visitors of this thread. Also, outstanding planet Antares. One of the best I've seen in this thread.

Offline Antares_Z13

Thanks for the reference FSF, it's a great resource to the visitors of this thread. Also, outstanding planet Antares. One of the best I've seen in this thread.

Thank you. The praise is appreciated. I like to aim high...to go beyond the bounds.

Offline -Sara-

Incredible Antares, love the final result! Quite amazing since I know it's your first serious photoshop project. :)  :yes: :yes:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline watsisname

Very impressive work, Antares!  You put a lot of work into that and it really shows.  I think the surface texture in particular is the best part of all, especially with that high resolution. :yes:

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

You like it? Don't like it? I'll take any criticism you wanna spew. Bring it on!

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Not bad, but it seems a bit too grainy, like the MSPaint spray tool...
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's missing the dust clouds and the colors, aside from that star-wise is seems complete.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yer i think some dust would go a long way
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline watsisname

@FreeSpaceFreak:
I think the star brightness, distribution, color, and size are all FANTASTIC, but as a few have mentioned it could use some obscuring dust in there to help make things just a bit more visually interesting.  Faint areas of blue and pinkish nebulosity might be nice, too!

Edit: Just want to emphasize that I'm not recommending any kind of drastic changes -- any additions I can suggest ought to be quite subtle.  What you have currently really is good so I don't think it needs all that much more to make perfect. :)

@T-LoW:
Spiral arms are great, though the glow around the central region is a little overwhelming in my opinion. :nervous:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:27:55 am by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Guh, those dark nebulas are a *pain* to get right... this is the best I could do so far... For better or worse? Been working on this for so long now that my judgement has gotten obscured x_x

And whatever scaling FSO is using for the skybox sides, it's not very friendly to this, especially around the core.