Author Topic: well this might be stupid  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
well this might be stupid
so uhm .... eeerrrrr... can i fly the whitestar? :p

if so where can i get some missions to fly it in? :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: well this might be stupid
Originally posted by Ashrak
so uhm .... eeerrrrr... can i fly the whitestar? :p

yes you can

if so where can i get some missions to fly it in? :)

Make yer own. ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
If someone wants to finish up my End Game mission he could use that. FRED academy?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Roanoke

still using bomber AI ?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It'd be cool if the SCP guys would impliment poor-man's Gunship AI that I suggested, where a flag would be added to that specific ship's table entry that would allow it to targetted by "big ship" flagged weaponry.  I proposed one which was just a universal "Big Targetted", and another that's just a "Big Targetted No Bombs"  The second would mean that no weapons with the "bomb" designation would be fired on the a ship of this type, but more conventional anti-fighter weapons like (from FS2) Harpoons and Trebs still would.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
heheheheheh i had a lill fun with the WS ... whiped out half a raider fleet ... and collided with the rest :p

why dosent the beam gun fire though?
I hate My signature!

Offline Slasher

Does the SCP allow for three primary weapons on the player's ship?  If so, we could make the beam controllable like the Nial beam, as it should be, in the next release.

If that's not the case, then the beam remains controlled by the AI.  Ashrak, if the beam isn't firing when you're looking at an enemy and within range then it probably wasn't freed in FRED2.  Note that when you do enable it, once in mission the beam will fire by itself at targets that enter its firing arc and range.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Slasher
Does the SCP allow for three primary weapons on the player's ship?  If so, we could make the beam controllable like the Nial beam, as it should be, in the next release.  

It should now, bt only WMCoolmon knows exactly how it works.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Ashrak, it's a turret. Use the good old beam-free sexp. Slasher, there's support for it bu it needs new interface art.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
oh god i SO forgot how to beam-free-all :/ remind me how please! :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Slasher, there's support for it bu it needs new interface art.

Did you get it working ?

EDIT: @Ashrak: There's a box you can tick on in the "Mission Specs" window.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:35:06 am by 1445 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Haven't even attempted because afaik we don't have the required interface art. Not even sure what needs added or modified.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I don;t think anything does, actually... it should use the standard art. Since it's all sectional anyway.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
It'd be cool if the SCP guys would impliment poor-man's Gunship AI that I suggested, where a flag would be added to that specific ship's table entry that would allow it to targetted by "big ship" flagged weaponry.  I proposed one which was just a universal "Big Targetted", and another that's just a "Big Targetted No Bombs"  The second would mean that no weapons with the "bomb" designation would be fired on the a ship of this type, but more conventional anti-fighter weapons like (from FS2) Harpoons and Trebs still would.

Take a little look at this if you haven't seen it already for another way of doing things. I'll bet that use of the every-time-argument could make this work a lot better.

For that matter can't you move waypoints now thanks to WMCs cutscene code? If so you've got everything you need to make (somewhat hackish) AI gunships work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

It should now, bt only WMCoolmon knows exactly how it works.

You put three primary weapons on a fighter. :p

If you're talking interface, IIRC it uses weapon6.pcx as the spacer for primary weapons.
-C

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Ashrak, it's a turret. Use the good old beam-free sexp. Slasher, there's support for it bu it needs new interface art.

It really shouldn't be. In the show all of the whitestars weapons always fired straight forwards.........
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'll replace it with a flower cannon in 3.2, with a cool special effect and all.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Kosh
It really shouldn't be. In the show all of the whitestars weapons always fired straight forwards.........

Usually we see it fireing big ships, so it looks like it. But in Thirdspace, for example, we see WS and Thirdspace fighter go head on. Both die, but you can see WS beam move around when it hits the shields.
And many times we have seen WS go against fighters. It would be hard for a ship of that size to target small quick moving fighters if the guns would be dummy forward pointing. Whitestars guns are definatley not 'turrets', but have a limited FOV in wich to target small vessels... Ya' know?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Both die, but you can see WS beam move around when it hits the shields

It looked to me like the Whitestar itself was moving.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
True. It certainly was. But the beam was also moving. And I just remembered another scene from that movie. The one where WS shoots TS fighter when they are moving head on at very high speed. Don't try to tell me that WS is capable of such a precise and fast moving that it can direct the beam to a small target and at a relatively far away, without seperate targetting and directing of the beam.

We know for certain that ships like Omega and Q'Guan can fine tune their beam fire, so it's technicly possible. Even the Starfury seems to have blind fire guns, so why not more advanced whitestar?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...