Poll

Which Ancients Cutscene render is your favorite?

Expansion
2 (11.8%)
Sin
0 (0%)
Vanquished
0 (0%)
Fate
2 (11.8%)
Legacy
7 (41.2%)
Liberation
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 24, 2002, 07:44:36 am

Author Topic: Like the Borg, I'm looking to improve myself...  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Like the Borg, I'm looking to improve myself...
I'd really appreciate your feedback on what you like and don't like, as well as which one(s) are your favorites, in the Ancients Cutscenes Renders I did a while back. So go here, look at 'em all, and come back to vote and post your opinion. Muchos Gracias. :)

Note: I'm looking for criticisim, so don't be shy - be honest. :D

Note 2: Remember - vote for your favorite, and put individual remarks in your posts. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
first, don't compare yourself to a borg if you want to improve yourself :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Legacy for me, great use of colors - well presented message with nice fonts and the overall meaning of the image is simple to work out. The sun also rocks, it's the best one there in my opinion.

And since you want critism - I'd have to choose Vanquished. It's the atmosphere - it's large and white and looks horrible, that's about it really! The rest of the image is nice :)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by venom2506
first, don't compare yourself to a borg if you want to improve yourself :p

SILENCE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
"waves at sandwich"
see? :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506
"waves at sandwich"
see? :D

*continues walking straight forward in a robotic fashion while ILM engineers add in whizzes and whirrs*

Uhm.... back to topic.. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Kitsune

Legacy's cool.

I like the cloud-ish effect surroudning it, though I don't know why the bluish gases would be there.

Looks very out of place since the star itself is an orange/red and not a white/blue.

But otherwise it looks very nice.

And for other critiques?

The atmosphere in Vanquished has too much of the light effect going on in it.  It should thin out as it moves further away from the sun.

In Fate, the shivans on the asteroids could be bigger or have one closer to the screen.

Overall though the lens flares weren't bad, but I don't like the huge number of rays of light coming from them.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Liberation, cause it's the only one that I know of :nervous:
You are all stupid!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Kitsune
Legacy's cool.

I like the cloud-ish effect surroudning it, though I don't know why the bluish gases would be there.

Looks very out of place since the star itself is an orange/red and not a white/blue.

But otherwise it looks very nice.

Ok, to everyone - the blue-white in the upper-right of Legacy is part of a subspace jump effect... I dunno why no-one's realized that before... :doubt:

Keep those replies comin'! :)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Re: Like the Borg, I'm looking to improve myself...
Originally posted by sandwich
Muchos Gracias. :)

Note: I'm looking for criticisim, so don't be shy - be honest. :D

Looks like that you don't take Spanish nor Italian.  The adjective MUST match the noun that it modifies.  I.E. - La nota fortíssima.  So therefore it would be "Muchas Gracias".

Anyway, I still like "Liberation".  The other renders seem a bit bland, if I may say so.  The one with the halo on the planet seems a bit original.  And since I've seen the ending cinematic to Freespace 1 multiple times, I must say that I prefer "Liberation".

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Re: Like the Borg, I'm looking to improve myself...
Originally posted by Rampage

Looks like that you don't take Spanish nor Italian.  The adjective MUST match the noun that it modifies.  I.E. - La nota fortíssima.  So therefore it would be "Muchas Gracias".

Anyway, I still like "Liberation".  The other renders seem a bit bland, if I may say so.  The one with the halo on the planet seems a bit original.  And since I've seen the ending cinematic to Freespace 1 multiple times, I must say that I prefer "Liberation".

No, no Spanish or Italian. :D

Well, for anyone who hasn't completely realized it yet, all the render visuals were pretty much direct copies off the visuals in the respective Ancient cutscene.

I'd say that I had the hardest time on "Liberation", since the only visuals in the cutscene (the monologue part) were those stretched dark blue nebula-things. SO I decided on those "word-echoes" to mirror the auditory echoes in the speech.

All in all, I think I had the most fun with "Fate" - it was the only one with actual 3D objects. Those asteriods are the standard FS2 asteroids, smoothed multiple times, copied, rotated, copied again, etc. I have the original asteroid backgroud right here somewhere, if anyone wants to use it: