Author Topic: PNG support  (Read 7202 times)

Offline bruce89

Why does the wiki not allow pngs to be uploaded to it?

I ask as I was trying to upload a png version of http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Image:Mine_event_standard.JPG . The JPG is 13KB, and a better PNG is 1.6KB.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Possibly some security settings. By quick look at mediawiki... Could be related to following.. possibly...
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgFileExtensions

There is nothing i can do about it though. Its a job for the higher powers...

Just like the used link color thing...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Shade

Would seem worth the effort to allow them if there's that massive a gain. And I have occasionally been slightly annoyed at the low quality that jpeg compression results in at higher compression rates.

While we're on the topic by the way, I've been mulling the idea of providing bare-bones sample missions for the FRED examples, so would it be possible to add some place to upload small (like, sub 10kb) zips, which can then be linked to from the wiki? Quite a bit more work than simply editing the allowed extensions, I imagine, so I won't hold my breath. But it can't hurt to ask :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline bruce89

JPG is more suited to in-game screenshots, I don't think having PNG versions of those would be viable (too large).

Images such as weapons and sexps / screenshots from FRED would be a lot smaller as PNGs.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
What is your problem?? You don't need to start a fuss about PNG! Look, if FS Wiki wants it that way, then let it be ok? I would anybody change the pictures? Those are already great! Look, you might rethink your posts before continuing this discussion.

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
wtf is your problem nubbles? it's a fine question, leave the guy be

Offline Shade

Yeah, what the hell? He's working to make the Wiki better, which everyone that uses it should be thankful for. He has been polite about requesting PNG support,  has been patient about it and also been helpful in explaining what needs to be changed to allow it. So let me ask, nubbles, what the hell is your problem?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oh dear... everyone calm down.  If you feel mad when you're about to post, open a new tab and look at other posts while you calm down before responding.  Keep it civil, eh?  Everyone is (for the most part) just trying to help.  No need to get pissed.  Or this will be Gooby and you:
        :hammer:
:beamz:

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Yeah, what the hell? He's working to make the Wiki better, which everyone that uses it should be thankful for. He has been polite about requesting PNG support,  has been patient about it and also been helpful in explaining what needs to be changed to allow it. So let me ask, nubbles, what the hell is your problem?

Er...sorry for that...had a bit of a drink yesterday. Had a fight with one of my friends...I don't remember anything since I went to that party. Oh jezus! WTF was I doing?! I don't remembering writing or posting inside the forums.... :wtf:

I am duely sorry for doing this. I am saying sorry to Shade, Mars, Bruce89 and Wanderer. I will never drink again...

And oh, since my brain IS controlling me again, let's get back to topic. I strongly suggest we keep use new screenshots instead of converting the old ones.

Competetor of Bosch beer (I guess)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:57:37 am by nubbles526 »

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable

Er...sorry for that...had a bit of a drink yesterday. Had a fight with one of my friends...I don't remember anything since I went to that party. Oh jezus! WTF was I doing?! I don't remembering writing or posting inside the forums.... :wtf:

I am duely sorry for doing this. I am saying sorry to Shade, Mars, Bruce89 and Wanderer. I will never drink again...

And oh, since my brain IS controlling me again, let's get back to topic. I strongly suggest we keep use new screenshots instead of converting the old ones.

Competetor of Bosch beer (I guess)

lol... figured it might be something like that... we'll just pretend it never happened... now

PNG and maybe ZIP compatibility with the wiki

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
But why upload a zip into Wiki? You could just link a download page in Filefront? Although it may be nice, but hope it doesn't clutter too much of the database...

EDIT: Has anyone tried GIF or TIFF yet? TIFF is also high quality compared to PNG.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:20:20 pm by nubbles526 »

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Shade

Ah... too much to drink, the bane of communication everywhere. I'm glad it was something like that and not you going crazy :)

As for the zips... convenience, and certainty that it'll be there - Wouldn't really want to link to off-site files from the wiki since those are outside our control. And not upload to the wiki as such, just some place on the server that could be linked to from the wiki. With the file sizes in question, it would take up less space than the images and far less bandwidth too since they would be a selective download.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Although it may be nice, but hope it doesn't clutter too much of the database...

Does the wiki store binary data in the database (like Mantis) or in a folder on the server (like smf)?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Tolwyn, maybe you could take a look at things and figure out why PNGs aren't working.  I edited LocalSettings like the instructions said, but nothing happened.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Tolwyn, maybe you could take a look at things and figure out why PNGs aren't working.  I edited LocalSettings like the instructions said, but nothing happened.

Goober is going to pound the database now...

Hmm...you say it is uploading. But what if you link the image? Is there such code where you have for example:

[lvlshot][lvlshot]?

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline bruce89

It's fine, I didn't notice 'til now anyway.

Of course, JPEG -> PNG would be pointless, as the loss has already happened in the JPEG conversion. You'd end up with a much larger PNG than the JPEG was and with no gain at all.

EDIT: Has anyone tried GIF or TIFF yet? TIFF is also high quality compared to PNG.

TIFF is uncompressed - (think BMP-like file sizes). PNG will look exactly the same as TIFF, but smaller.

Comparison

For example, I took http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Vergleich_Titanic.png, which is 66 KB PNG.
As a JPEG it is 169 KB.
As a TIFF, it is 19.6 MB.

Zoom in to see the difference.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:22:08 pm by bruce89 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ya, .TIFF format filesizes suxx0r.

EDIT: Although, as I remember, there are two formats of .TIFF, and one is compressed, and isn't half-bad.  I converted an entire directory of .TIFF clipart on a Mac to the compressed version, with immense space savings.

Offline bruce89

EDIT: Although, as I remember, there are two formats of .TIFF, and one is compressed, and isn't half-bad.  I converted an entire directory of .TIFF clipart on a Mac to the compressed version, with immense space savings.

Indeed, the GIMP offers 5 choices for TIFF -- No compression, LZW, Pack Bits, Deflate and JPEG.

For the web, it would be totally pointless to use compressed TIFF, I don't even think MediaWiki allows it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#Flexible_options

Some of those compression options are lossless.

Offline bruce89

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF#Flexible_options

Some of those compression options are lossless.

Doesn't matter, PNG is better in every respect (for what we need anyway).