Author Topic: About box-art quirks in the Trivia section  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Dysko

About box-art quirks in the Trivia section
Some time ago, I posted here some errors in the box-art, that were later added in the Trivia section as quirks.
Recently I saw in the Discussion page that Selectah said it's better to have scans of the box-art to confirm these quirks. I'd scan my box (obviously translating it, since it's written in Italian), but my scanner is broken :mad:

I visited FS2's page on MobyGames and took a look to the box cover section. And I discovered an interesting thing.
-Only the European version has the Lucifer slightly above the Deimos' nose. In the US version of the box, the Lucifer isn't there at all.
-Only the European version has the "..D Deimos" nameplate on the corvette. The US version does not have the nameplate on the Deimos.
-Both the European and the US version have the Deimos classified as "GTA Deimos" on the back. However, it's specified that the Deimos is a corvette.
-The "Learn to use beam weapons" thingy seems to be just a bad translation on the Italian box cover. On the US version, it says "Encounter beam weapons", while the French version says something along the lines of "Discover beam cannons". I don't speak German, so I don't know what the German version says :D
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Re: About box-art quirks in the Trivia section

So we have another valued Italian linguist.

Interesting stuff. I've never even seen the box up close myself, so I can't comment, but thanks for the info. 

Offline Dysko

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FreeSpace_Trivia#Canon_inconsistencies:_Retail_FS2_box
I modified the page myself. As you can see I moved the European box-related quirks to the bottom, leaving the bad translation on the Italian box as the last line (since it's probably the less important one, being so country specific).

Oh, please grammar check what I have written :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It should be "Imparate ad usare le armi a raggi", anyway...that thing is made ab muzzum.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Sorry for bringing a deadtopic alive again....

But Mustang19 has posted the box art of the European Box Edition (English version). I am currently hunting down the French, US and Italian version. Does anyone have the scans of those? Would be useful for the comparison which Darth DySKO pointed out.

EDIT: How come there isn't a post about FS1 Box art quirks? Here is one linked off another website:

FreeSpace 1 Box:
http://www.relec.ch/freespace_300.jpg
- The large wormhole is presumbly Subspace. It is purple instead of blue, and the depth of the hole is bigger.
- On the top, it says Conflict: FreeSpace. Instead of Descent: FreeSpace.
- The Anubises in the back are firing lasers which look like beams, and the lasers are different in colour.

FreeSpace 2 Box (U.S. version):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51117G0R9WL._SS400_.jpg
- Background different in colour (more greyish).
- The Perseus is further away from the deimos.
- Everything Darth DySKO mentioned.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:09:19 am by nubbles526 »

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Conflict vs. Descent thing isn't an inconsistency.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Snail has just jogged my memory....where did I hear that from? It sounds familiar...

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Snail has just jogged my memory....where did I hear that from? It sounds familiar...
Huh? Conflict was the non-US release name.