Author Topic: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions  (Read 40112 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions
Converters may want to change format they're saving the model in, but they can do it using menu (and sooner or later, the model will have to be converted to POF anyway).
That seems like an argument for saving as whatever was opened.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
As a converter 99% of the time I want to save as pof no matter what format I opened.  The few exceptions are saving a model that was pof to a different format.  So other then pof I never save in the format that was opened. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's what I'm trying to say.
You, like most people, save to POF 99% of times they open anything using PCS2, regardless of what they convert from.
So, it would be most comfortable if PCS2 defaulted to POF on save, since that way, people won't have to change it every time they want to save a file.
Personally, I don't see any reason for using PMF besides making backups, which is needed only on the biggest, most labor intensive models (like largest Esarai's capships).

Offline Tomo

How about if "Save As" always defaulted to PMF, and there was a specific File menu item "Export to POF.."?
- Export to POF shouldn't affect the data in memory. I'm guessing that's actually the case already anyway?

Then you'd always have a quick option to create a POF.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I would think 'Save' would only mean PMF, and 'Export...' would have all the other options, defaulting to POF, or what was last used.  But again, that's just me.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I would think 'Save' would only mean PMF, and 'Export...' would have all the other options, defaulting to POF, or what was last used.  But again, that's just me.

+1 to this suggestion. Even if "Export" as a menu option doesn't tree out but just presents the existing "Save As" which then lists only POF, COB, SCN, DAE.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:52:32 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
OK, maybe it's a good idea, but make sure that it's on the toolbar, like "save" is now.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
+1000 for these, especially the Global Importation of turrets bit. I do not care so much about those two bugs listed, but my phone is unable to view the lower half of the message n the reply window...

The ability to type in the info instead of being required to use the pull downs.  Right no it will let you type in the info but then changes it to detail0.

Oh and still really need the global import to parent turrets by name not object number.  Redoing 100+ turrets every time because they parent to the wrong object is really a pain especially with that big delay between operations. 

Adding a small bug to this.  If you are doing turrets and you save the last barrel you did gets set back to detail0 unless you select another turret before the save.

Bug #2 if you hit the close button while the model is loading you get an unhanded exception. 
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering about the feasability of fixing the bugs in the post immediatly above, and if work has been started on them.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
They sound plausible, but you'll have to find someone with time and motivation. Or send me an air-conditioner.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It needs a tool to change texture slots for importing objects. When I import turrets from other model, it don't fit with new model and looks awful.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
They sound plausible, but you'll have to find someone with time and motivation. Or send me an air-conditioner.

... How much is a good AC running these days?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

depends on where Spicious is located. I can get a decent 2500BTU unit for less than $60.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Not sure if I requested this one yet or no but not reading 7 pages to find out: 

Ability to view -destroyed subobjects in PCS2. Maybe a checkbox that renders them instead of the live subsystems. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
... How much is a good AC running these days?
It's too late now; the heat wave ended and I've implemented turret importing by subobject name. Now I just need to reinstall Visual Studio so I can build it for Windows.

If you want typed text in a dropdown box to stick, try pressing the down arrow so it'll find an option that matches.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
You are so awesome.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Build updated.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Would that be possible to include radius editor in PCS2?
Currently, it's autocalculated each time on save, which messes up models which have radius modified by hand (mostly appearant with Steve-O's fighters that have sliding parts).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Or some way to modify the Radius so that it doesn't have to be hex-hacked afterwords.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I'm fairly sure this was an intentional design decision.