Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 133363 times)

Offline knn

Is this a waste of polygons?

I won't make all the armor plates, just the bigger ones. The three intake like things to the sides of the big modeled plate, the mouth-like things below and the 3 plates with circles on the sides are candidates for extrudes
Turrets will get moved a bit too

Edit since this post got on a new page, I'll quote my previous post (it's kinda relevant too)
what should the polycount be? I was thinking about 10k, and it's 9k now (will be optimized tho)
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Bosch: "Okay who the shivan installed a eyebrow, and a nose on my ship!?"  :lol:

I think just a few armor plate pieces are useless unless the whole plating is modelled, giving it a complete look..

[edit]post looked like it had correct spelling when posting, but suddenly after posting word armour missed the o.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:39:23 am by Akalamanaia »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The only way that could be worthwhile is if it uses a different texture.  It's too small, too shallow, and serves no real purpose from what I can see to spend the polygons on.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline knn

Bosch: "Okay who the shivan installed a eyebrow, and a nose on my ship!?"  :lol:

I think just a few armr plate pieces are useless unless the whole plating is modelled, giving it a complete look..

:lol:

Not really, the ones I'm thinking of doing look like they stick out better. They have a sharper edge around them

The only way that could be worthwhile is if it uses a different texture.  It's too small, too shallow, and serves no real purpose from what I can see to spend the polygons on.

Probably

Added a light:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:51:50 am by knn »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah, if I didn't know it was bumped out then I would never guess that it was.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline knn

That's the kind of thing bumpmapping was invented for
Too bad FSO doesn't have it yet

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Detail boxes?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline knn

Still doesn't justify it. Detail boxes are for detail that can be seen. This one can barely be seen with lighting or when the angle is right. Even with detail boxes, the amount of available polygons is not endless

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
I say leave it as just texture, or make it more obvious.
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
There's a couple of wide, dark bands on the texture that look like they should be indented the whole way across, from one edge to the other. Those would show up...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Can't someone make the head of the iceni a little more distinguishing?
All it's got is two beam cannons.
I really don't know what should go on the head of the iceni, or maybe what should go on top of the head.
I guess that's why the iceni is a challenge, i mean the collossus has windows on it's head, the orion doesn't really have windows on it's head, but it's got distinguishing lighting and textures in the least.
Yes it's a lot less plain and neat looking now with the htl version underway.
But, so far the only reason for the head on the iceni is just those two beams still.
Any type of glowpoints or something, idk about windows so much for the head unless you put some on the top or the bottom of it.
I mean design usually goes for how it's going to be used, not how it looks, the head looks cool, but people have been debating that's not where the bridge is because enemies beam the hell out of the head of the iceni.
It needs to have more of a purpose for the honking huge ass head than just two beams.
Especially if people are debating that the bridge isn't in the head, and the fact the head has no windows or anything particular.
Just make it more distinguishing or something, glowpoints, idk what to suggest, make the head look like it has a purpose because it's big, it's the head of the vessel, and it only has two beams, the head of the iceni looks very primary to how the ship would be piloted and especially where a bridge would be or something.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The head of the Iceni looks like a battering ram, which further suggests that it was designed for running blockades.  It actually would kill the design to have windows there, and AFAIK there has been a conscious decision not to put windows there.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
No i wasn't saying put windows there indefinitely, just do something, that gives the head a little more distinguishment.
As far as the battering ram hypothesis goes, i've never heard that one before.
Yeah that makes the iceni make more sense in it's design, and especially how it was used in the fs2 campaign.
In the fs2 campaign it's always on the move, the only blockade unfortuneately i get to see it run is when the iceni makes it's final run to gamma draconis.
The iceni probably could have survived without the collossus being sabotaged, i mean that wasn't too big of a window for the iceni not to get blasted till it warps out.
Anyway, i don't wish to get off topic.
The htl iceni is extremely lovely, and the head of it to, now that it's make sense purpose is brought to dawn upon me :lol:
I hope it gets finished, i really want to see it badly in game.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, you could adda window strip above the two beam cannons, but if you do make it intruded...a lot.

that still keeps hte rugged feel of it and at the same time adds something that can serve as a bridge.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
If you do add a set of bridge windows remember that they look like this: / \ / \ / \

I always got the feeling Bosch was looking out the side, though.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The windows probably were like that for some reason (I'm thinking that triangular structures are stronger than rectangular), thus the windows probably were similar all the way round Iceni. It wouldn't make any sense to mix different kind of windows in different parts of ship.

So, it doesn't really matter where Bosch was standing, looking out; the bridge windows vere similar on a very high probability.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline knn

If you do add a set of bridge windows remember that they look like this: / \ / \ / \

I always got the feeling Bosch was looking out the side, though.

Yes, he probably was, the Iceni had no windows on the front. And

The head of the Iceni looks like a battering ram, which further suggests that it was designed for running blockades.  It actually would kill the design to have windows there, and AFAIK there has been a conscious decision not to put windows there.

Yes, I decided not to put windows there 5 pages ago  :)

IMO the bridge is located at the top of the neck, where it connects to the middle section.

Offline starfox

Is it possible to make certain parts of the ship more heavily shielded/armored than others, just thought if the Iceni was designed as the sort of "Blockade Runner" then the front certainly should have more armor than the rest. I mean, that by shooting the front part damages the ship much more slowly, than shooting the rear.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
As far as the battering ram hypothesis goes, i've never heard that one before.

You, sir, need to read the stickied story in the Arts forum. The Iceni's head is actually a battering ram in disguise, so that the captain can stand and say, all engines, Double burn - bring us up to ramming speed! and make it look extremely cool too :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
long time to be posting on this thread
but i wonder how much damage 10 iceni's could do battering the colosus
that'd certainly be an interesting way to make the gtva crap its pants :lol:

SMBFD