Author Topic: New installer?  (Read 12360 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Diaspora is using latest trunk at time of release. Technically trunk is .13 until .14RC cycles ends, but actually it is months beyond .14 RC and latest .13 nightlies (last I checked .14RC was more than 1400 svn revisions late, not counting backports), and years beyond .12. It's the most stable and advanced build you can get right now without having to compile trunk yourself.

EDIT: ninja'd

3.6.13 is the dev branch for the eventual 3.6.14 release.
.13 is trunk until .14 comes out, or until 3.7 comes out if .14 is abandoned. Your post make it sound .13 is in preparation and hence before .14, which is not the case. .14 has its own dev branch, separated from trunk (hence separated from .13), where devs can fix and backport stuff.

Basically .13 is everything that happens in trunk after .12 and until the next stable release.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:25:14 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would absolutely wait until the '3.6.7' release if that's what comes next.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You mean 3.7

3.6.7 would be, like, 6-7 years ago ? :p

But then again if you're going to wait until 3.7 there is absolutely no telling when this happens. Especially if we get another... capricious RC cycle like .14. Could be in years from now. Better release with latest trunk.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Right, oops.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As much as I hated the way kara said it (sorry, I percived it to be a bit arrogant - I guess it was unintentionally but notheless the tone didn't sit well with me), I've to admit that using the build supplied with Diaspora (for now) was a certain merit to it...

eh?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Just wondering, is FUBAR really unreachable? He seems to be on the forums fairly often (last online about 6 hours ago) and posted on the forums just yesterday (and also the day before that). So he seems to be around.

You know stalking someone that way is considered impolite ... (and you're not the only one who thought of that)

Stalking? Really? Don't you think that's a bit extreme of a description? I was just pointing to evidence that he's very clearly around, even when people were saying that he's unreachable. And others may very well have thought of it, but no one else suggested publicly that he might in fact not be unreachable.

Never mind, though; I shouldn't have interfered in TBP's business.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
wtf, one team, one fight.  You sound like the Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps.  :rolleyes:  Quit bickering, the Marines are best already I mean you're all on the same side.  :nervous:

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Stalking? Really? Don't you think that's a bit extreme of a description?

Orph meant this as a joke.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:21:32 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
OK here is the run down as I see it.

Zathras will need to be updated for compatibility with anything beyond 3.6.12.  3.6.12 removed the -TBP command line flag and moved the info to the tables.  There was a bug in that removal that was fixed a few days after 3.6.12.  This led to the 3.6.12 compatible Zathras being intentionally shipped with tables that have commented out entries that are basically necessary bugs to work around that bug.  The tables in the test build posted 2 years ago contain the uncommented out lines necessary for 3.6.13 and beyond. 

There are also a bunch of other fixes as well as model optimizations (lods, debris, maps etc) in the beta. 

3.6.14 was supposed to be out so I discontinued work at that point so the beta could be tested.  As someone pointed out that was over 1400 revisions of 3.6.13 ago.

Fallout with Diaspora as well as no feedback on testing Zathras beta have pretty much left me burned out on anything FS2_Open related.

So basically that Zathras beta has been out there for about 2 years now with little testing.  Doing any kind of new installer would require that version.  Releasing it in an untested state is a bad idea. 

That leaves conetent.  What do we really have that warrants a new installer?  How much new/finished content?  How much is tested?  Do we even know if TBP will work with 3.6.14 or current trunk? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'm using the latest Zathras with 3.6.14 build for quite some time, and it basically works. Of course debug builds complain about this and that, because let's be honest, the tables are a bit of a mess.
The way it is now with 3.4b and Zathras on top of it, there are too many tables/modular tables overriding each other. And there's a lot of table entries which were added originally to make BHX work, but now just clutter up everything.

If you want my opinion, in the long run there's no way around condensing everything into a clean base again (basically TBP 4.0), especially if we want to use all the fancy new features that require table and POF changes. Which also eventually means breaking backwards compatibility with existing campaigns.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
There should be no warnings or errors in debug.  If there are they need to be in mantis so they can be looked into.

As for the tables there are really only 3 sets.  The 3.4b release, latest Zathras release, and the Zathras beta if you are testing it.  Of course the beta ones get merged for release so still only 2 sets for release.     

While a 4.0 would be a good idea it's one hell of a lot of work and would require reworking and/or replacing a lot of assets to do it right.  Not going to happen anytime soon. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Not going to happen anytime soon.

Especially if it breaks compatibility with previous campaigns, this makes little sense. BTW, what is that about a Diaspora fallout?

Offline Slasher

I was using 3.6.14 release candidate debug builds while testing the effects upgrades and I can't remember getting any messages using "vanilla" TBP 3.4b coupled with the last official non-beta Zathras patch. 

FUBAR, regarding the Zathras beta, the debris LODs all seem to work okay.  I have been using the beta mainly so stuff will explode and leave pieces behind instead of being completely and utterly consumed by great ballzofire. 

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Bad news: My mouse hand and subsequent arm are out of commission for some time. I can hardly type, yet alone program, play or write.
No playing FS2 or writing my thesis...  :-(
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Slasher

Sorry to hear Vidmaster.  Get better soon, or alternatively, get a new arm!

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
hip, while we're waiting, have you played Diaspora yet?  If not, go get and play (latest patch is 1.0.3 don't forget), methinks you'll like.  Don't worry, only 6 missions.  :pimp:  At least 11,500 downloads 16 days after release.

Got it, just haven't had time to play it. Been busy with me rock-n-roll band!

hip63  :P
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sorry to hear Vidmaster.  Get better soon, or alternatively, get a new arm!
He didn't ask for this. :p