Poll

Where should the TBP board be moved to?

Leave it where it is.
4 (13.8%)
Into its own section like Diaspora
11 (37.9%)
Into a new FS2_Open Games (or Other Games) section.
7 (24.1%)
Zombie Snuffleupagus
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 01, 2012, 07:44:08 pm

Author Topic: What to do with the TBP board?  (Read 6760 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What to do with the TBP board?
I don't think TBP should be in its own section just because Diaspora is. That's like a 5 year old's version of fair. :p It should be in its own section if that is what it needs to develop further.

Getting your own section feels like a pretty clear status symbol. Even the SCP doesn't get its own section!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In regards to WoD:
WoD1 in its current state is indeed not a stand alone and still requires the Mediavp's and such. But WoD2 is already a stand alone (thanks to the awesome Axem) and on release of WoD2, WoD1 too will become stand alone (that is the roadmap at least). I don't think WoD will ever draw enough posts&topics to need its own section with a load of child boards. But it be nice if there would be a new Hosted Projects - Released Standalone/Total Conversion section for all other projects (the ones smaller than Diaspora) such as TBP etc.
To set them apart from the 'normal FS2 mods' so to say.

I don't think TBP should be in its own section just because Diaspora is. That's like a 5 year old's version of fair. :p It should be in its own section if that is what it needs to develop further.

Getting your own section feels like a pretty clear status symbol. Even the SCP doesn't get its own section!
What Battuta said.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest, one of the reasons to go to our own section was to get our fans to explore the rest of the board. It was too easy for them to just bookmark the Diaspora forum.

It's better for everyone if they're getting out and seeing what else there is. And that's another reason for a Standalone Games section.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Whether everything gets its own section like Diaspora, or just put under a general "Stand-alone Projects" section, I think getting them that increased visibility would be a good idea.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
TBP => gets its own section like Diaspora

The rest of the TCs => get put in Stand-Alone Games section

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
TBP => gets its own section like Diaspora

The rest of the TCs => get put in Stand-Alone Games section

Please stop trying to manage projects you are not involved in and have no creative or emotional stake in. Thanks.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So far, 3 people from the team have replies and they all gave a different opinion. :p

I guess I'm the deciding voice unless anyone else wants to pipe up. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Battuta, did I recently post something to irritate you?  If so, please enlighten.  If not, please discontinue your diatribe.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Since virtually no one wants TBP to stay where it is (Snuffleupagus got more votes) I'm going to move things to a Standalone section while we decide if TBP goes into it's own section.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Battuta, did I recently post something to irritate you?  If so, please enlighten.  If not, please discontinue your diatribe.

As he hinted at here, Battuta put you on his ignore list, so he can't see your posts. You'll have to PM him about it.

To go back on topic, I would think the high visibility of having its own section would be helpful to TBP, unless, for example, they want to wait until they have a release with a new installer ready? Just a thought.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well to be honest, in a section with only two entries, they're pretty visible.

On the other hand, I keep scrolling past Diaspora General Discussion cause I think it's Freespace Gen or Gen Disc. :p

Offline wesp5

Well to be honest, in a section with only two entries, they're pretty visible.

I agree. Also with Wing Commander TBP is in good company there! But I would rephrase the description: "...brings the Babylon 5 universe to FreeSpace 2." This still sounds very much like a mod to me. Please use "engine" somewhere!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Err, well, this isn't the first time that Batt has put me on ignore (last time was him being ridiculous over my critique of someone else's work, which was good, however, I was pointing out where improvements could be made), but now suddenly out of the blue he responds to every one of my posts, so I guess he took me off for whatever reason.  :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I agree. Also with Wing Commander TBP is in good company there! But I would rephrase the description: "...brings the Babylon 5 universe to FreeSpace 2." This still sounds very much like a mod to me. Please use "engine" somewhere!

Good point. I'll let Vidmaster decide as nominally he's in charge with FUBAR AWOL.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed. It became a computer game."
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed. It became a computer game."

I like that :)! LOL

Offline Slasher

I logged on today for the first time in a couple months and looked for TBP in its usual spot on the HLP forums index.  The first thing I thought upon noticing its peculiar absence was that Warner Brothers, after over a decade since TBP 1.0 was released, had finally gotten around to issuing a Cease and Desist letter.  :ick: