Author Topic: Why is specular lighting still so popular?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Why is specular lighting still so popular?
It was cool at first, but now that the novelty is gone, I hate it. Unless I specmap every texture I use, it looks awful. Everything's way too shiny and the cockpits have no shine at all if I don't make specmaps. Let's go back to the old lighting system or implement a registry key than can allow you to turn spec lighting off by default.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

spec lighting is good, but it needs to be turned down heaps. way to shiny
--------------------------

Sig

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I can only echo what Devils_Hitman said - it is a good feature. But it needs a lot of work and tuning before it'll be perfect.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It will be worked on, and all you need is a grey one pixel x one pixel pcx with the name *Texture*-shine.pcx to turn it down. I wonder it we could have just a single Dark Grey pcx that the system defaulted to if there's no -shine map? :)

Flipside :D

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
don't make it less intense, just make the highlights smaller.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline diamondgeezer

I thought there were already command lines to fine tune spec lighting, or indeed turn it off. You sure you've done your homework on this one Woolie?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The specular adjustment commands don't work with HT&L I happen to like specular a lot, even if it does sometimes produce shiny models, but then the SCP isn't ALL about making less work for the Modders ;)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
just make a spec map, it's not like it's any difficult to do.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It'd be nice if there was a generic one like suggested though - it'd make things easier on those of us who want to use it without going to the trouble of making a map.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I said this would happen. :rolleyes:

Let's just have it turned off by default, unless it finds a spec map; the same way that glowmaps are handled.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Venom
just make a spec map, it's not like it's any difficult to do.

It's difficult to do for the OTT ships.:p

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by Galemp
I said this would happen. :rolleyes:

Let's just have it turned off by default, unless it finds a spec map; the same way that glowmaps are handled.

no, let's have it turned on by default, unless it finds a spec map.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Carl: that's how it is currently, and people are getting sick of it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This sounds like a big storm in a teacup to me. The spec command line options will be fixed eventually and everyone can then turn them on or off as they like.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Solatar

I like it...I have it turned moderately down with comm lines. Maybe something in the options menu?

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

It's difficult to do for the OTT ships.:p

why? as a bonus, one will work on multiple ships, what else can you ask for? :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well, I only tried the Ezechiel, which is hard to shinemap because its cockpit is the same color as the stripe than runs down the nose of the ship, so it's impossible to make it shiny without making half the ship white.

--General Battuta

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by karajorma
This sounds like a big storm in a teacup to me. The spec command line options will be fixed eventually and everyone can then turn them on or off as they like.

agreed
and more important, if you hate it, don't ask others for modifications that you can do on your own.
Specular is  cool, but it require specular maps to really work fine, so if you don't like the full spec effect -as many do, me too- don't wait for the others to fix it and start making the shine maps.
In this way you will give a concrete and valuable help to the SCP guys, who are spending their time and patience and skills for you.
Strong artistic skills aren't required to make specmaps, even an ape could draw them,  it just require time.
Galactic emperor already did some, if everyone who isn't really overbusy (like GE is) will spend some of his time to make even few shine maps, probably it would be possible to cover all the original :v: ships

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Well, I only tried the Ezechiel, which is hard to shinemap because its cockpit is the same color as the stripe than runs down the nose of the ship, so it's impossible to make it shiny without making half the ship white.

Heh? For the ezechiel, basically, you need just select the glass part of the cockpit, paint that area white, and everything else very dark grey. Voila, you're done. Couldn't be easier...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, SL is still very popular with me :) And for that model, just try doing the cockpit part white (or whatever colour you want the specular to be) and the rest black :) In fact, most specular systems only allow a level of specular highlights, not a per-pixel colour system, which I believe this one is? Used correctly, this actually pushes the graphics beyond a lot of currently available games :)