Author Topic: Shinemaps v2.0 - Environment maps 0wn you  (Read 35243 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Shinemaps v2.0 - Environment maps 0wn you
I love the new shinemaps. The old ones were too extreme with too much of a contrast.

Anyways, all of the ships shown here look great. A high-polygon version of the Dragon would be wonderful though. (same with the other Shivan ships)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I actualy started on a high poly dragon, stoped working on it a while ago though.

still don't like the lack of shine on the cockpits, glass is quite reflective, if you go out in a parking lot on a hot summer day the windows of all the cars is a glairing white from the sun. and the environment map effect isn't good enough to map the sun, it just looks bad, it needs a glaireing white specular highlight there.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I agree with Bob, there.
SCREW CANON!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yep.

And the loss of detail is no excuse for this super-soft map.
Just ad highlights for single plates. That will give the ship a more bumpmapped look.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline starfox

all-around very good work, lightspeed. Keep going !
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

DaBrain, your maps are fantastic. The additional contrast is definitely a good thing.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Bobboau
still don't like the lack of shine on the cockpits, glass is quite reflective, if you go out in a parking lot on a hot summer day the windows of all the cars is a glairing white from the sun. and the environment map effect isn't good enough to map the sun, it just looks bad, it needs a glaireing white specular highlight there.

Exactly. They glare, but only at a wide angle, else they only have a 'lense flare' - but they're not some white blob.

http://www.tmspa.com/2002%20photos/P7110165%20field%20of%20cars.jpg
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I don't like the new Herc shinemaps. I think it's not shiny enough... looks too much like plastic to me. The Ulysses on the other hand looks fantastic.

Great new maps, DaBrain.

Offline Nico

• Venom
come on, Lightspeed, carefully choosing a pic doesn't constitute an exemple, I can do that too:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/galleries/lae/images/SR71.gif
You're missing one important point: as you say, the angle is determinent, but if you take a curved windows, and place the glare exactly where it's the most curved ( like in your exemple ), the glare will obviously be small. If, like in my exemple, it's a flat one, you'll get an all or nothing.
My exemple is too extreme for you? Fine, let's take an "halfway" approach:
curved on one axis ( like your car ), straight on another one:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich/move-to-accademia/truck-at-lab-s.jpg
The glare will expand as much as it can along the straight axis of the glass.

I can find pics with the windows perfectly white, but obviously there will be a pb:
http://www.woodgas.com/images/Mel%20Strand%20Truck%20and%20TBR.jpg
See, the glare blinds you, since the glare is basically light coming straight at your eye ( or at the camera ), so There's basically no way to have a pic of that. Same in real life, you don't really see those, coz you'll blink.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 06:45:34 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Myrmidon!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Nico is right.

It's even visible in your picture.
http://www.ystart.net/upload/20040513/1084456917.jpg

Originally posted by JTK-1701-E
Someone purdy purdy purdy please make my Ares fighter look this purdy?

The Ares map... is some heavy stuff.
(~50%) ;)

@LS Who is GE ?
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
GE = Galactic Emporer :)

Oh, and I took the liberty of remote linking to the images people have posted of cars windshields. If this thread gets as large as the last one I don't want to waste time downloading shots of someones truck.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Not wanting to participate in this debate right now, I just wanted to stop in and say, LS, some of those shinemaps are really awesome - I'm especially impressed by how the Dragon maps look in-game. Well done. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
My god........
*worships Lightspeed*
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you know I think I like the higher contrast better my self.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I have to agree with DaBrain - these maps are not metalic enough.

I don't mean that they're bad or anything - they just need some more reflectivity. The way they are right now is excelent for Vasudan ships or maybe Shivans, but Terrans need a harder shine map IMHO.

The best comparision I can come up with is plastic - you ship looks like a well polished piece of plastic, the problem is that plastical nice maniquen look doesn't fit with Terran design.

The older version was too harsh though - what I saw as the best example were shots of the Athena, when its base texture was used as shinemaps or the Apollo - those ships could look really good even without additional maps. Of course it could come off too harsh, but the Athena was nice.

I don't know what's your method of development, but if you're giving our public opinion some thrust, could you try a more 'metalic' version with harder shines?

That's my 2 cents on the issue.

The environment mapping, the texture sharpening, and the ambient parts look super. If this plastic/metal looking issue were solved than your terran ships would get 5/5 from me insteam 4.8.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Bobboau
you know I think I like the higher contrast better my self.

So do I, but that's probably because I tend to use high contrasts myself. Low contrsts makes me think paperboard for some reason.
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by Flaser
they just need some more reflectivity. The way they are right now is excelent for Vasudan ships or maybe Shivans, but Terrans need a harder shine map IMHO.

The best comparision I can come up with is plastic - you ship looks like a well polished piece of plastic, the problem is that plastical nice maniquen look doesn't fit with Terran design.

The older version was too harsh though - what I saw as the best example were shots of the Athena, when its base texture was used as shinemaps or the Apollo - those ships could look really good even without additional maps. Of course it could come off too harsh, but the Athena was nice.

I disagree, we're talking about ships with paint on them, if it's anything like current military vehicles, that means a matte powder paint, not a glossy clearkote paint that our cars have.

I do agree that the current maps are way too harsh, and also look more glassy than they do metalic, even toned down they'd look more glassy than metallic... not sure how to fix that though since I don't know the programming or physical aspects of reflection, refraction and caustics

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Why post car pictures when you have the jets thread?

MHO is that the new hercules shinemaps could be a bit brighter on the hull, and much brighter in the cockpit, but not as bright as the old one.

The shine in the top-middle herc looks about right for the hull, but it doesn't look like that at all in the rest of the pictures.
-C

maybe what would make it look less glassy and more metalic is just a bit of noise to add variation? not like seriously distint noise, but a soft noise (speckles you know?)... worth trying even if it doesn't end up working

the cockpits definately need a high shine on them, since they ARE glass, lol :)