Author Topic: Why is this happening on a new computer?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Why is this happening on a new computer?
There is something wrong with your OpenAL install.  Check c:\windows\system32 for either of these two files, and if you find them, delete them: ct_oal.dll, nvopenal.dll.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Wasn't there a problem with FS_open on dual core CPUs ? That might have been fixed by now, but you seem to use older builds.

Try setting FS_open to only use one core. Right-click on the exe and you should be able to select on which core you want it to run.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There was a problem but Ghost says he followed the installation proceedure I gave him a few posts later which should mean he's now running 3.6.9 RC 7
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH. I am forever in your debt; you guys stuck with an extremely irritating problem and weren't like "screw this" and moved on. It worked.

The problem? nvopenal.dll was in \system32. I don't know why that screwed it up, but killing that fixed it. Fixed all of it, apparently, 'cause the launcher started up with no trouble.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
I seem to be having a similar problem, but I dont have those 2 files to remove.
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Well, I don't know what they read in it, but if you post your errorlog and fs.log, they might be able to help you.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

I'm still having problems on my X2 4400+, 2 gigs ram and 7900 GTX.  I can run it fine, but I get massive slowdowns in game.  I just upgraded to 3.6.9 RC 7 and I'm still having problems - the slowdowns don't make any sense.

I have all the dual core hotfixes and other odds nad ends on my system too - every other game runs flawless.  Any ideas?

I tried setting CPU affinity to CPU 0 for the executables etc. - and still no fix.

The ONE strange thing that is happening that I can describe - is for instance - when flak guns are going off...

I can HEAR them... But I can not see them... And it slows down a good bit during this time.  Ideas?

I know my cpu is fast enough to run it - I was able to run with adveffects on my XP 1900 and Ti4600 - so this machine should definately be able to handle it.

The other odd thing is I can hear the intro  - but not see it - until I press escape - and then I can see the frame I escaped from..  Anyone have any ideas?  I need my FS 2 fix :)

To further help, here is how I'm starting the game within the launcher:

C:\Freespace2\fs2_open_r-20061115.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -oldfire -alpha_env  -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11

If I turn environment maps off it makes no difference - framerate is the same with them on or off - but with them on... WOW!    But still - flak is not showing up.  I'm using the same install that I had on my XP 1900 - so it should work - it is the Shivan torrent full install.

I also just tried removing the adveffects - still no solution - same slowdown in spots.  Someone else has to have had this problem...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Create an empty file named "debug_filter.cfg" in the data directory.  Run the debug build of 7dot9x and play through any mission that you like until you have experienced your slowdown problem for a couple of minutes, then exit the game.  Put the data/fs2_open.log file up where I can take a look at it (DO NOT copy&paste here!!).

Well, it won't let me load up the debug build - I keep getting stopped by a spelling error screen - inital should be spelled as initial.  Line 66.

Odd..  The executable I'm running is fs2_open_d-20061115

Is there a newer one?

I found out I was running in direct 3d - switched to open gl and still no luck - in this version.

I went back to version fs2_open_r-20060125.exe - 3.6.8 and everything worked great - except movies - they still don't work - even in open gl.  The slowdowns went away.

Problem with 3.6.9 is - I'm addicted to it -  the reflection maps on the starships is just sooooo fascinating to watch.  I even added the fixed media vp's in the mediavp folder - the mp-710 files - I assume there is nothing more to installing them than placing them there.  Any ideas?  I'd love to host up a log but I can't get past spelling errors in ANY debug build I've tried...

Well - I downloaded fs2_open_r-20061130.exe - it has been a while since I've tinkered with FS 2 - but found the site finally to get them - the sourceforge one is way out of date.

Anyways  - that fixed the slowdowns AND the flak - all of that is peachy now :)  With max detail on as well - no slowdowns :)  I take it not all ships reflect the stars - the ones that do look incredible.

I still can not watch the cutscenes/intro/movies - I can play them fine in media player classic - just not in game... Any ideas?

Perhaps I should clarify further - I can HEAR the cutscenes playing - I just can not see them within  FS 2...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Perhaps I should clarify further - I can HEAR the cutscenes playing - I just can not see them within  FS 2...

you need the .MVE cutscenes, not the .avi ones.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Yep, that did it - downloaded the .mve files, and removed the avi's and problems fixed!  Thanks!

Now if I could get all the ships to reflect the stars - this game keeps getting better and better - thanks for all the developers and coders hard work!