Author Topic: Ship Concepts  (Read 5326 times)

Yes, I agree with you about modeling on top.  I never drew the top or side of the ship on paper..I started at the angle you see.  Actually, here's the first sketch http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/_5thHorseman_/IMG_1581.jpg.  Like you said, the concept wasn't really working so I changed it. 
Anyway, I downloaded Blender and wow is it more sophisticated.  Definitely not something you can just start experimenting with (which also made me surprised it didn't come with a how-to with the file). 

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I never liked Blender, although I don't see how it is more powerful than Sketchup. I've made some super-detailed models using the latter, and with a plugin or two, I even can make ray-traced renders.
But hey, to each his own :)

From, the looks of it, my computer won't be strong enough run smoothly in blender...
I guess I'll be sticking with sketchup for the time being

Lol. Your computer.

It's not too bad for its age...I mean, Doom3 was just fine on it.

Wait, no it wasn't, was it? It was jerky...ugh, i remember now...

nevermind, that thing is a piece of sh|t.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Hmm strange your PC isnt handling blender... blender is small and takes away too few resources, are you sure everythings allright with it?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

no, I'm not sure so I may be wrong, but I made a few simple spheres and they took much longer than they should have, IMO, to render.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
to render in real time? or an actual render?

also, if I may ask, what are your sistem specs?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

to render in real time, I think (pressing F12 while working).  I'm not using my computer now so I can't check the specs, and I don't know them off the top of my head, but it's roughly 3 or 4 years old.  Maybe I just haven't tried blender enough and I'm just assuming, but I'm going to get a new computer within the next two years anyway.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I don't suppose sketchup could be used to make models for fs?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

As far as I've been told, no.  There might be some way of doing it (without getting the pro version) but I'm not sure.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I've been to the website, it lets you download a trial version of the program. astalavista.com and crack that sucker is what i was thinking.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
5thHorseman, I must say, your sketchup stuff was sweet!  8) man!