Author Topic: Wing Commander Saga Game engine  (Read 7278 times)

Wing Commander Saga Game engine
I think you guys should use the Open Game Engine for the Wing Commander Saga game http://www.opengameengine.org

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Wing Commander Saga Game engine
I think you guys should use the Open Game Engine for the Wing Commander Saga game http://www.opengameengine.org

So, you're saying that instead of using an easily modifiable game of the same genre, they should create a Space Sim Engine from the ground up, based on the maybe 10% done framework of some other people who they don't know, and possibly add years or maybe even decades to the production time?

Oh yes, it sounds like a TERRIFIC idea.  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:14:05 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Maybe it would be more clever if the developers of that engine rather go join the SCP Team. Because, with the SCP we already have a Open Game Engine, and the SCP is years ahead regarding experience and progress :)

:lol: about that picture
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Phenix

:lol: hahah, gotta love that pic  :lol:

p.s. it would be nice if those programmers from OPENGAMEENGINE would share their time and experience with the saga team...the project as it is is very big and the more capable programmers work on Saga, the better the final result would be (not to mention it would be finished sooner ;7 :nod: )
but I think their idea is to make a tool to create games,not the game itself....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:25:44 am by Phenix »

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Then I would also suggest that they join the guys at the SCP, as Starman already did suggest.   :nod:

-Aginor
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:54:07 am by Aginor »
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Can we change that to :badnewb: or something?  (Goober?)

It's a bit big for that.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

HAHAHAHA

I say we should still use that for :badnewb:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

If nothing else, put it on the server and give the url link for it, for future use  ;)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
FreeSpace 2 is now open source and has been for several years now thanks to the developers at Volition.  The Source Code Project (SCP) team has been busy making the game look absolutely incredible and building on an already solid foundation of code.  This project looks neat but its in the very early stages...there is so much for them to do.  The game engine that Babylon 5: I've Found Her is apparently open source as well...  You can find them here: http://ifh.firstones.com/

FreeSpace 2 is still very close to the Wing Commander style than anything else available.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Jeez guys, lay off him. He's just trying to spread the news about their project over there, much like jr2 was on all those other forums with the SCP.

It just seems as though this guy knows nothing whatsoever about the Freespace Open engine, the game itself, making a total conversion mod for a game, leading a total conversion mod, leading a regular mod, or programming, or level designing, or anything about modding any games at all.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:24:20 am by thesizzler »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Right... I'm just sort of hijacking the thread, sorry.  :D

EDIT: Moved here.  Deleted most of my posts on this thread...
Hey, dgmurdockiii,

:welcome:
Welcome to the the HLP BB.  Exits are to the sides and rear.  Don't plan on using them though, someone let the hosted projects put all their stuff in there so they're all but inaccessible.  In the event of an emergency, flamethrowers are stowed under your seat but since we've been out of napalm since late '01 you'll have to use it as a cudgel.  There are pulse rifles and assorted heavy weapons in the lockers up front; these can be opened only by admins, :v: , God, or a hyper intelligent shade of the color blue.  These weapons are reserved for the Apocalypse, bad April Fools jokes, and the release of FS3, in that order, so don't get your hopes up about using them.  In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device, and you'll find a week's supply of Bosch Beer hidden inside.  There's a 95% probability that the beer isn't actually beer, and no one is really sure why you'd need a flotation device in deep space, but hopefully these will provide some small comfort.

Feel free to get acquainted with the place while you're here, and do be careful when exploring the ventilation systems.  If you encounter a large 5-limbed creature, don't panic.  Just set down your lunch and back away very slowly.  If you're lucky it will just be Carl, our resident shivan, who responds quite well to bribes of food.  If it's not Carl, and it's in a good mood, at least your death should be quick and painless.  If you're particularly unlucky though you might get dragged into a religion or politics thread, in which case may God have mercy on your soul.  Stay clear of trouble, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your stay!

-Don't take anything I posted personally, you just gave me an idea, that's all.  Sorry if you misunderstood.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:33:24 am by jr2 »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
When did the second paragraph get added to the welcome speech?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:welcome: thread.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
There should really be an official welcome speech...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Then it would be boring.  But if you wanted one, I'm sure you could cook one up using that thread.  ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There should really be an official welcome speech...

There is.

:welcome:

That's it. It's just that jr2's failed to notice that he's the only one giving the old version. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I missed the news flash.  :p

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
http://www.opengameengine.org/forum/search.php?search_author=DGMurdockIII

Here is all of this guy's posts on the OGE forum. This kid is like, twelve years old. Not only does he fail to realize that the engine will never be finished (it's like SCP; always upgrading), but he also forgets that it needs to be adapted for different genres, and then the actual games have to be made (maybe a 10 to 15 year process total if those devs are anything like us).

And he's acting like all of the things he recommended won't be obsolete by the time it's ready for use ::) ...