Author Topic: subspace artillery help  (Read 4705 times)

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
why exactly is that a problem? I have been testing the darn thing and the only problems that I've seen are with maintaining balance, since it gives the player access to an unlimited supply of ammunition. Its only really useful on caps though and if you set it so that you only get one bomb at a time or maybe two, you can set up missions where its not unbalancing.
I don't understand what the problem is with the offset though. Its not like you can't change it.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
What you have got to do is to set it so the laser uses a very high amount of energy, and can possibly only fire for 2 seconds if the ship has full energy to weapons. Also, the ships should have a really slow recharge rate.

My 2 cents...

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Why would the targeting laser have to use that much energy? It's not doing any damage.
Really, the way to balance it is to control WHAT jumps out of subspace and how many of them. You can also set how long it takes for things to show up once you tagged them. Keep in mind also that its not incredibly easy to target ships. The targeting laser works like scanning in that you have to be pointing almost directly at a specific point on the ship, or no lock. You also have to keep the laser steady on that point for about two seconds before the artillery fires. It only really gets abusive when you set the ssm.tbl to give you twenty bombs every time it fires or something rediculous like that. If you only get one or two, all it does is save you having to re-arm so often.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Snipes:
What you have got to do is to set it so the laser uses a very high amount of energy, and can possibly only fire for 2 seconds if the ship has full energy to weapons. Also, the ships should have a really slow recharge rate.

My 2 cents...
Um ... You can't. Impossible. The game won't let you do it.

You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
won't let you what? Make a laser that uses up the alloted amount of energy faster than 2 seconds?

Why not?

I could do it... If I felt like doing math, and testing...

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."