Author Topic: Freighter wars  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I've recently come to consider many of the less spectacular ships in the Freespace games, including the freighters. In your opionions what freighter is the Best, either aesthetically, gross tonnage, armament-wise, you name it.

My personal favorite is the Poseiden, it's better armed than the Satis, has a smaller target profile than just about any other freighter (besides the Bast) while preserving decent armor: if only the TC and TSC cargo units were tougher.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I like the Triton, big, ugly, functional. Possibly a little too weak for a combat-freighter, but pretty much perfect in most other respects.

Offline Porthos

• www.clan-zt.com
I, too, like the Poseidon. Great gunboat capabilities. I see it as more of a wartime freighter then most of the others. Although, some of the older PVFr's with their rapid fire turret were quite anoying as well.
Holy walleye, Batman!!!

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
i miss the big ole Chronos.  was a nice simple design, logical and self contained.  The Satis is also a classic when it come to being in a firefight.  almost better to have around then a mentu :p
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Satis's 5 Terran Turrets (which do about as much damage as Prometheus R's) do aproximently the same damage as the 4 Subach turrets on the Poseiden, and the Subachs move much faster, and are therefore more accurate, the Satis does have many more hitpoints however.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yeah i'd have to go with the satis too.
It'd be something i'd pilot personally.
The satis would be awesome to have, it just makes an awesome gunboat.
And in some mods is even tactically deployed as such by pirates.
I wonder if you could stowe a small fighter like the valkyrie or pegasus inside of it?
That'd be awesome back up.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to be shielded either, but if to do so, you'd probably need something crazy like 3 shield generators on board.
Which brings me to my next idea of shielding for capships(for later) ;)
Though, since the poseidon is more fighter sized, why not give it a shield system?
Technically since the docked cargo would increase the ship's size, just have the shield system activate after it's undocked with cargo.
Possibly a reason why none of the other fighter sized ships have no shielding is because it's expensive, and that may be the only reason why gtva fighters have them only(gtva got mo money).
Just give the poseidon faster speed with a shield system, and you got something pirates would make raids with :D
The poseidon would also probably be a pretty sweet scrap-heap fighter too if you chopped off it's docking legs.
If you did that it'd really say modified (into) rebel fighter all over it :lol:
The poseidon really is a sweet ass ship, also because i obviously believe it has a ton of extra potential in it :)
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In your opionions what freighter is the Best

Freudian slip?

And yet...

My personal favorite is the Poseiden

If, on the other hand, you meant to ask which freighter was the Bast, that'd be this:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Just had freighters on the mind, and noticed the Bes in best, that's all. The Bast is the smallest freighter in either game, slightly smaller (I belive) than the Medusa. (I keep wanting to write the names of ships like: [[GTB Medusa|Medusa]] from the wiki)

Offline Porthos

• www.clan-zt.com
I always thought the Bast looked more like a terran freighter then a Vasudan.
Holy walleye, Batman!!!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
i miss the big ole Chronos.  was a nice simple design, logical and self contained.  The Satis is also a classic when it come to being in a firefight.  almost better to have around then a mentu :p

Logical?  You call the Chronos logical?  It's cockpit and engines are held together by a plank.  :p

I too always thought the bast was more Terran than Vasudan, particularly because the cockpit on it and on the Chronos are almost identical.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Prefer the good 'ol satis myself. She's got a nice profile and has the looks of a small gunship as opposed to a freighter. Like the Posi, it can defend itself just nicely, too. Replace all it's regular turrets with flak and it makes a nice flak gunship for any mod/campaign as well :D
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
BTW, that's first time i've ever seen the vasudan bast freighter.
Did they ever have it in game?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It supposedly appears in one mission in FS1.  Though to be honest, I'm not sure the player usually gets near them before the AI fighters wipe it out; it's a little thin-skinned at best.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's in the 3rd FS1 mission, where you're attacking a Vasudan cargo depot where Stolen Weapon Prototypes are suspected to be stored, (actually the Avenger cannon) which get stolen again by McCarthy.  There are a Bast and an unarmed Ma'at there as well.  If you mount a bank of disruptors (to disable them before they escape) and manage your wingmen well, you can get the kills for both freighters.  The Bast is also present in BR's "Shrouding the Light".
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Solatar

For the fs1 era, I love the Chronos. The freighter itself has the hitpoints of a Fenris, pretty good speed, and can carry a large cargo container. Not as heavily armed as the Poseidon, but it can knock out quite a few asteroids by itself if you're busy with other fighters.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Chronos has 2000 more hitpoints than the Fenris, oddly enough. The Fenris has more firepower however, even though its 8 laser turrets are armed with the weak Terran Turrets (aproximently equivalent to Prometheus R).