Author Topic: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing  (Read 35228 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing
Why wouldn't we give the B-wing ion cannons?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yes, of course there will be Ion cannons in game, and the B-wing will have 3.  The debate was never whether we would include ion cannons, it was what sort of effect will ion cannons have.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

There was another thread at one point debating the validity of using ion cannons in this game.  I think it started with a discussion as to whether or not the GUN should be brought in.  Which lead to the reason it was in the X-Wing series was for it's ION cannons.  And the debate went downhill from there.

Hence I was not sure IF they were going to be in the game or not.

The debate was never whether we would include ion cannons, it was what sort of effect will ion cannons have.

Was that part settled?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Not entirely.

Oh, and an update here on the texture:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Snail

• SC 5
holy ****!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
MWAHAHA-HA

If only I could forgive the B-Wing for its countless hours of disappointment...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
MWAHAHA-HA

If only I could forgive the B-Wing for its countless hours of disappointment...

STFU N00B... the B-wing was the be-all and end-all in XvT.

OT: Very nice, I'm looking forward to see this finished in the same quality as the previous Rebel fighters.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

SILENCE, FOO!!!

Ever play X-Wing? The B-Wing has always been overplayed by LucasArts... well, not in X-Wing... but, still! Comparable to FS bombers/the Ares in many respects... packs a punch and might be fast... but it's a damn potato! (Otherwise TIE-Fodder...)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Ares is fast? :P

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The B-wing is fast? :p

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
...I was thinking Artemis when writing that...

And the B-Wing was supposed to be pretty fast... Faster than the Y-Wing at least. Though you're going to die in a dogfight with a B-Wing, whereas the Y-Wing should be able to hold its own.

How or when should we expect to see some cockpits, Brand?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The B-wing is a bomber. It's not supposed to be fast. And it isn't fast.

[/quote]
packs a punch and might be fast... but it's a damn potato! (Otherwise TIE-Fodder...)
[/quote]

True. It was just me and my little TIE fighter picking off countless B-wings. The head on was the deadliest, but the TIE's agility was more than enough to avoid the b-wing's barrage of death. Once a TIE got on your back, you were pretty much dead. Same with the Y-wing.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

SILENCE, FOO!!!

Ever play X-Wing? The B-Wing has always been overplayed by LucasArts... well, not in X-Wing... but, still! Comparable to FS bombers/the Ares in many respects... packs a punch and might be fast... but it's a damn potato! (Otherwise TIE-Fodder...)

BURN THE HERETIC!

;) Ok, granted the games pulled stats out of dark places, but I had heaps of fun with the B-Wing in "Balance of power", it's almost as fast as the X-Wing and has shields to shrug off almost  any fighter attack. Although it's sort of sluggish, I preferred it over the Y-Wing to dogfight any day.

In XWA the B-Wing got even deadlier with the laser convergence and the ability to link lasers and ions together. A concentrated blast from all 6 guns could ruin any Imperial fighter pilots day... even those pesky TIE Advanced only could take 3 or 4 concentrated hits.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

An excellent model, well done!  :yes:
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Woweee!! :eek2: She's coming along nicely, brandx0. :yes: Gorgeous.

I read someone asking about the proton torpedo tube placements earlier. If memory serves me right, the default configuration has one just above the engine cluster (between it and the cockpit pod) and one at the base within the weapon mount cluster. Speaking of which, will the B-wing's weapon load out configuration be customizable? ;7

And the B-Wing was supposed to be pretty fast... Faster than the Y-Wing at least.
Actually, you got it backwards. However, both are slower than the X-wing. Forget what you've scene in the X-wing/TIE Fighter series. lol

The B-wing is a bomber. It's not supposed to be fast. And it isn't fast.
Well technically the B-wing's combat designation is Assault Starfighter, but yeah, it's not suppose to be fast. It wasn't designed to dogfight.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I always liked the B-Wing.  Maybe not fast or designed to dogfight but correct me if I'm wrong but the B-Wing is basically the greatest amount of firepower in the smallest ship possible right?  Its designed to make things bigger than it hurt... a lot.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It was always my fighter of choice (in XWA), as it could carry a lot of torpedoes or missiles, had a lot of weapons and autoconvergence to compensate for them being spread off center.
It's only flaw was low speed and manouverability, but I learned to compensate by using it's "Corner velocity" a lot and transfering power to engines when needed (I bound ETS functions to HAT). Anything that got in front of my guns was dead in a short while and I mastered many ways to make this happen. Also, that's what I expect from FoTG B-W, to be though, well armed and sluggish, but not in the way that makes dogfighting impossible.
On a side not, are you going to make versions B-E (It would be great to fly this one in XWA, as it's even better armed and faster, but less maneuvrable, which is easy to compensate in that game), B-E2 (Ackbar's B-W, which he crashed due to sabotage), or shuttle variant (may open some interesting possibilities for FREDers)?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The B-wing won't be an effective dogfighter, but that's not to say it won't be able to get the occasional lucky shot.  But anyone stupid enough to get caught in its line of sight deserves a quick death.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays