Author Topic: Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question  (Read 11497 times)

Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question
I say go with the Lucifer beams. After all, the GTI was researching Shivan technology and biology. To reinforce my opinion, they had Super lasers on the original Hades. That's my two cents.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that I've never played Silent Threat, so correct me if I'm wrong about the above info. And btw, can't wait to play ST: Reborn!

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Whenever I played the port the beams were more of an orangish color, just do that, like kinda red kinda yellow, but like Icefire said reduced efficiency would prolly be a good touch
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

I'd go for a somewhat less powerful version of the Lucifer's beams.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Definitely go with the Lucifer beam look, at least.  It would make sense for them to be dumbed down somewhat.  Remember, when the GTA captured the Dragon fighter, they couldn't get a few of its systems to work right.  I'd guess GTI would have the same problems with beam weapons.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The GTI had fully functional Shivan weapons operating on the Hades. Maybe they had some help from a captured Shivan or something.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I vote other.  But I agree with the Luci style beams, but they should behave more like SReds.  5 SReds is sufficient to carve a destroyer into chunks in a couple of volleys not to mention the infinite supply of fighter craft the Hades has. ;)
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
"Other"

Create some unique beams, if it's not too much trouble.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Raptor

I voted 'other', with Lucy beams second.

Personally, I feel that the GTI would never have got full power lucy beams to work, and I'd doubt that they would already have Fs2 Terran grade beams by that point.

I'd suggest that the Hades have normal Shivan beams, with slightly altered colours and other twecks, so they are not as powerful.  To be honest, the Shivans should of had beams (the red ones) right from the outset.

Just my opinon.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
AFAIK beams were only used on the Lucifer during the Great War therefore aquiring them would be extremely bothersome...though not impossible.

Who said the Shivans had a chance to help them - how about incorporating them into the control system so they can fool the Shivan parts they aquired from Ross128 and the rest of the battlefield into believing they're in proper hands. - could be too cliche though.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
LuciferBeams, running at lower power rating (as with the shields we appropriate from the Shivans).
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Like Luciferbeams, but more transparent around the edges and somewhat duller...i.e. looking less powerful (bright), but more 'ragged' around the edges, as if the powerflow was poorly regulated.

EDIT: i.e. if the Lucifer beams were a lightsaber, these would be a light-chainsaw. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 09:22:37 am by 181 »

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Originally posted by aldo_14
Like Luciferbeams, but more transparent around the edges and somewhat duller...i.e. looking less powerful (bright), but more 'ragged' around the edges, as if the powerflow was poorly regulated.

EDIT: i.e. if the Lucifer beams were a lightsaber, these would be a light-chainsaw. :)

I like it! :nod::yes:

Lucybeams, but weaker/slower-firing.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline redmenace

maybe flikering a bit, like they were barley able to fire.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

I vote for Lucybeams, but maybe with a reduced rate of fire.
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Spoiler'ed for great justice :p (see my post below) // Goober5000
Spoiler:

The GTI would have no way of exactly copying LuciferBeam technology. As far as we know in FS1 era, there was only one Lucifer, and it was the only ship with beams. When it was destroyed, it died in the node, and in Sol, and we all know what happened to the node. So really, the only thing the GTI have to go off of when building beam weapons is scans from Alpha One and other attacks by the Lucifer, and a whole lote of theorizing + guess and check. The GTI would use what they know, combine it with what they think works, and create a prototype beam cannon that would be the precursor to what we see now, as it would be the first Terran beam cannon.  Thus, it being Terran, it should be green. It wouldn't be Shivan, because the GTI don't have the magical ability to just duplicate whatever technology they see. If they did, we'd see ships after Capella armed with BFReds....

You guy sforget that the Kayser used Shivan technology and design, but was not a direct shivan weapon in the sense that you wouldn't see it mounted on any shivan ships.  It's reverse-engineered shivan technology, rebuilt and adapted to suit terran needs. Just as Beams are. The GTI took what they knew of the LuciferBeam cannons and made their own prototype. They didn't jack the beams off the Lucifers' broken corpse...

The exception however, are Shivan Turrets mounted on the Hades. However, these are explained through the GTA capturing the Taranis and checking it out, as well as the various cargo depots carptured. It's been theorized that the  Shivans would have kept spare Beam Cannon parts in the cargo depots, but I highly doubt that. Namely because the Lucifer was unique, and invincible, as were the beam cannons.

In summary, it makes perfect sense for the Hades to have Green (if not a little on the weak side) Beam cannons, vs. t3h L\/CiF3R C4n|\|0nZ!!11
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 01:41:57 am by 561 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Voted other. They shouldn't be perfect FS2 era military grade beams, but they also shouldn;t be carbon copies of the Lucifers beams, for the reasons KTs explained. A Pale Green would seem appropriate IMO, if you can make it look good.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey - staff aren't supposed to post their opinions in the thread, KT. :p

The first post is for laying out the two arguments.  The rest of the thread is for polling the HLP populace.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
The Hades is ugly enough as it is. Don't mix green beams with red turret fire.

Offline Cyker

Green? Runner? Kidney? Butter? How about Chillie?

Oh, you said BEAMS.... ah... um...

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Green beams, for the same reasons as KT says.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"