Author Topic: new technology test  (Read 12948 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
In theory, you could actually do that at POF load, I think, then cache the newly tesselated meshes on disk or in memory somewhere (if they do hog too much). That way it would only be done once per game per ship, and it would be universal.

The problem, I think, comes in when you want to do the tesselation. There's a whole section on techniques for smoothing meshes in realtime in one of the OpenGL programmer reference books, I think, but its currently beyond my ken.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
It works quite well in the tech room (though the Orion and Colossus devour FPS as if there were no tomorrow - wonder why :) ), but seems to crash in-game. I only tried it with that mission where you rescue Snipes in the Grall, though. I suppose a nebula isn't the best of places to test Truform. :) ANYWAY... Like I said, it crashed almost instantly. Or SEEMED to crash! ATI have been good little humanitarians and threw in a feature called VPU Recover in the later drivers. What it does? Make the VPU revive after a crash so you can reboot in an orderly fashion. With a little luck, you might even get to play some more. Which was what happened to me. Well, after regaining visual contact of a red and black gas-soup, I exited the game just fine, managed to start a (more) stable build without any hassle whatsoever.

Ships that look weird: I only remember the Argo clearly (now it has a spine!), but the Hecate received a little tune-up as well. I don't know what to make of the Deimos... Well, whatever.
*Re-lurk*
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Dude... that's like smoothing angles on steroids. Nice one.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
okay.. to answer your previous question bob, htl and truform on my machine, the FPS hovers around the 27-34+ FPS

(without shinemapping, it doesn't seem to want to work on me :( )
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Uh, how ****ty would this make 'roids look?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Get LS to take some screenies...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
It works quite well in the tech room (though the Orion and Colossus devour FPS as if there were no tomorrow - wonder why :) ), but seems to crash in-game. I only tried it with that mission where you rescue Snipes in the Grall, though. I suppose a nebula isn't the best of places to test Truform. :) ANYWAY... Like I said, it crashed almost instantly. Or SEEMED to crash! ATI have been good little humanitarians and threw in a feature called VPU Recover in the later drivers. What it does? Make the VPU revive after a crash so you can reboot in an orderly fashion. With a little luck, you might even get to play some more. Which was what happened to me. Well, after regaining visual contact of a red and black gas-soup, I exited the game just fine, managed to start a (more) stable build without any hassle whatsoever.

Ships that look weird: I only remember the Argo clearly (now it has a spine!), but the Hecate received a little tune-up as well. I don't know what to make of the Deimos... Well, whatever.
*Re-lurk*

welcome to Hard Light Productions

Exits are to the sides and rear, emergency flamethrowers can be found under the seats. And if you run into a large 5-limbed creature while wandering around in the air ducts, give it your lunch. Hopefully it's just Carl, and he'll leave you be.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
No. We cornered Carl in the basement. We've been hitting him with rolled-up newspaper for weeks but he just won't die.

The thing in the air-ducts is that genetically modified clone of Sandwich. The Lettuce-Matrix was unstable and it ran amok before escaping into the ducts.

Hopefully it'll go stale before it manages to cause any more trouble.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the levle of smoothing can be altered or turned off on a per vertex buffer basis (every texture on every submodel).
but it is probly only going to be controled on a per model basis, as far as asteroids even if it was turned all the way on, I don't think it would make them look bad as the asteroids have very flat normals
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Im going to see if it works on my 7500 (if someone hasnt already)...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I got it working in game!

zip updated!
DL and play!

... NOW!!!

yes, I do know about the cracking in the models, yes I have two rather good ways to fix the problem(one realy easy but not as nice looking, the other realy hard but would produce a nicer look)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
Somebody take a screenie of the Herc II RIGHT NOW.
-C

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, forgot to mention there is now a comand line for it
-max_subdivide a_float_goes_here
give it a value of 1-5, it gets subdivided that many times when it's right on you, as it moves away the subdivision level goes down untill the detail level changes at wich point the subdivision will be turned off
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Wes

It doesn't appear to be working for me, with or without the command line. Looks just like normal.

btw my card is a 9700pro

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Make it work for nVidia cards :p

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
It won't unless someone can pick a good enough feature in nVidia cards that would handle the stuff...

Going software mode....blah, that was the whole point of HTL - going back to hardware.

So it needs a good built in nvidia procedure in the cards that would do smg. similar.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline RandomTiger

Or do it at load time, would lead to more slow down than the ATI method but much more realistic to get done and working for everyone that way.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
That's what I suggested, RT.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
How long would it take for the program to subdivide and smooth all the models in a particular mission? It would be really great if it could be done though :)

Flipside :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
bout a second, probly, seeing as the card is able to do it on the fly like that sudgests it isn't a realy expensive opperation
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3