Author Topic: Top three most wanted effects  (Read 9181 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Top three most wanted effects
about shadows.. maybe something..uh more "simple", used only with capships? Something like using lod2 or lod3 to calculate a shadow created by a capship between the shadowed object and a sun. Dunno if it's possible, but it could be nice...a planet or a moon projecting a shadow on a big capship.. a Supestardestroyer hiding smaller stardestroyers...

btw my list is

-shield hit effect for capships with non modelled shields, maybe using decals
-decals
-some stuff on persistent variables, like the possibility to show the value of a PV during the game, the variables affecting loadout(honestly I don't even know if it is already  :nervous: ) and maybe PV in multiplayer
-multiple docking objects :lol:
-geomod!! :drevil:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 03:08:39 am by 433 »

Well, shadows casted onto another object isn't impossibly hard or slow.  However, if you think about it, even in FS2 the chances of two capitals shadowing each other are pretty tiny anyways.

Self-shadowing, however would look cool, but would also eat up the FPS.  Unless some quaint way of doing it (or faking it) is figured out.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Well, shadows casted onto another object isn't impossibly hard or slow.  However, if you think about it, even in FS2 the chances of two capitals shadowing each other are pretty tiny anyways.

One would assume fredders would take this into account and place the ships so it loks cool, and shadows are definitively a mood enhancer ( think The Empire Strikes Back, the first thing of the SSD you see is its shadow on the nearby SD )
SCREW CANON!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hmm, could the subobjects be treated as different objects and then the shadow effect applied? This could look good for something like the Fenris' radar dish, at least.
-C

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well if it isn't hard to have different ships shadowing each other, then we could use as shadow source all the "big" objects (capships, planets, stations, maybe some asteroids), and as shadowed objects all the others...
imagine during action a fighter that goes in the dark side of a capship: it is irrealistic if it continue to reflect light, it'd be cool to see it becoming dark as it enters in the shadow

Offline Nico

• Venom
Sure would, even more with the self illu maps we have now :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raptor

Here's my wish list.  All related to turrets...

1) Turrets not firing though own ship (there was a test build around, still buugy AFAIK):doubt:

2) Unlimited no. of turrets shooting at a singel target (Currently only about 3-4 turrets can shoot at a single ship, might depend on type):confused:

3) 'Savlo' firing (All barrels firing at once). Would remove need for multiple versions of the smae weapon for the diffrent configurations. Possibly default, with chain fire inposed by a weapon flag?

4) Smarter targeting.  I posted an idea for this a while ago, but no one seemed to care...:(

5) more firepoints for turrets (currently max of 4, more causes CTD)

6) Multi-part turrets aligning themselfs with their target BEFORE firing.:mad2:

7) Turrets firing when target IS in range, not when they are just OUT of range.:mad:

8) Multi-part turrets not shooting at 90 degrees to barrel (Having the 'swarm' flag attached by default sorta thing):hopping:

9) Multi-parts on vertical faces.:nod:

10) (not quite turret related) plasma shots dissapating after reaching max range, rather than simply disappearing?

That's all I ask for.  I know that the turret code is a mess, but at some point it needs to be sorted, so...

Please, please, PLEASE focus on these ideas?;7
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Er... Doom 3 does have self shadowing (At least it does if I know what you're talking about), it has a unified lighting engine which means everything projects a dynamic shadow.

- Bumpmapping
- Overexposure
- Shader support (ChronoReverse's post)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
we might be able to pull of shadows with stencil shadowing.

if we do have shadows, however, either everything gets shadowed, nothing at all. it doesn't make sense to have just cap ships cast shadows on just fighters, or have it cast a shadow on it's self but not on other things, or any of the other ideas people have for dumbing down shadows.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Shadows on everything then. It'd look fantastic... and IIRC its not been done before.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
1. Sexy shinemaps. See what LS is doing.
2. New plasma weaponry - dissipating, more powerful.
3. Enhanced beam effects.
4. Does friendly fire - primaries - work? Haven't paid attention, but do AI fighters damage each other?
lol wtf

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Raptor

7) Turrets firing when target IS in range, not when they are just OUT of range.:mad:

Why? if the turret shoots at a bomber coming in its direction, the time it takes for the shot to reach its limit range, the bomber might have come to range, and would be hit, which makes turrets more efficient.
SCREW CANON!

Janos: friendly fire is already part of FS, check your pilot stats :)

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
No no no, not talking about me, Alpha 1. I know I always hit them wingmate bastards as they try to take my kills. I was talking about AI friendly fire: two Myrms chasing a Herc and dealing damage to each other. This may seem dumb, but if alcohol has not yet devastated my memory, there were issues with this in vanilla FS. AI fire was dealt with somehow differently as player fire, which resulted AI never ever hitting a friendly fighter - capships were a different issue. I guess it's no longer a case.

And a small add to my wishlist, which may be a bit off-topic:
Reducing the memory print.
lol wtf

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by ShadowDrakken

2) displacement mapping

real displacement mapping isnt somthing the typical cards here could do. Its pretty impossible to get displacment running ingame without a axing of fps.

so it goes

1. Bump\environment mapping
2. 1.4 Pixle shader
3. Particlesssss
4. Volume lighting
5. .pof update
6. better real time dammage system
7. Submodels that do stuff, like flaps n  stuff.
8. Scripted environment system thingy, so you can fly in the atmosferee....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Better AI.

That's all I ask.

Even a simple command as 'face side' which would make an AI automatically keep one side facing the enemy will do........
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I. Graphics
A - Some version was already seen

1. Enviromental Mapping
2. Overexposure
3. Decals

B. Possible Developments

3. Volumetric Fog
4. Shadows

II. Gameplay

1. Revamped Turret Targeting code: - solve issues with turrets ROF, as well as their stupid targeting code (also shooting through their own ship's hull)
2. Stop fighters from bumping each other/capships

My own mania

3. Extended capship damage system
(read some of my posts, I already suggested a multi-stage development process that could be the basis for some kind of development if anyone ever wants to start it)

a. Damage Treshold / Damage Resistant - armor simulation
b. Section Simulation

c. Extended Subsystem interaction - subsystems act as individual parts of a ship, not as just statistics.

d. Internal Explosion simulation.

e-1. Introduction of Frame - only vital component for ship integrity - elimination of hull/hull percentage
e-2. Hull plate simulation
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the latest version of the decals code is very nice, it's in the asorted env builds I've been posting. you need a modifyed table though
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Nico
Why? if the turret shoots at a bomber coming in its direction, the time it takes for the shot to reach its limit range, the bomber might have come to range, and would be hit, which makes turrets more efficient.

It's okay against fighters/bombers, but the number of times I've seen shots disappear just a few 10's of metres from the target warships hull...:hopping:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Drew: oh, I know most cards can't handle displacement maps atm, but with as lightweight as FS is, a well written software displacement routine could be managed using a low resolution map.  Once the model is mapped in memory (and thus created as polys with the modifications), all the work is done, so preloading the models at mission start would save the hard work :)