Author Topic: The 'Aliens' among us.. hint.. not about Aliens.  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The 'Aliens' among us.. hint.. not about Aliens.
No, this isn't a thread about aliens in the Whitehouse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29054889

Basically, a creature found in a sea-dive a few decades ago has joined one of only a few species in defying current indentification conventions. Seems to be a leftover from the Ediacaran expansion and scientists are struggling to find exactly where it fits in with current definitions.

To quote : "We think it belongs in the animal kingdom somewhere, the question is where".

Love this kind of stuff, just goes to show how much there is not only to discover, but that we've already discovered, we just haven't realized it yet.

Offline Luis Dias

Re: The 'Aliens' among us.. hint.. not about Aliens.
A mushroom-shaped sea animal discovered off the Australian coast has defied classification in the tree of life.

EVIDENCE THAT EVILUTION IS A LIE AMIRIGHT OR AMIRITE

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To quote : "We think it belongs in the animal kingdom somewhere, the question is where".

You read something like that, and you know you're in uncharted territory.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I don't think it can really beat the time biologists realised that there's actually this huge group of prokaryotes that didn't actually fit into the fundamental taxonomy of life they'd set up.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Discovering new creations is always awesome. :D  The funny thing is that we know more about the Moon than the deep ocean.

Discovering new creations is always awesome. :D  The funny thing is that we know more about the Moon than the deep ocean.

Solid proof that nobody had their priorities straight in the cold war :P

Well I mean the moon is pretty easy to get to and has excellent visibility compared to the deep ocean.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
And Goob calls them "creations"  :blah:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Whether created by a series of amazing chemicall/environmental events or an over-arching deity, they were kind of created, from a certain point of view. Just bend your interpretation a little for the sake of non-confrontational conversation ;)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Nifty! I always found it funny that we can see what's on the moon so easily from so far away (cheap telescope is all you need), but in order to find out what's on the ocean floor we actually need to get within spitting distance.  :P
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's a shame they couldn't get DNA from them due to the preservation method, these things could have shed some light on the Ediacaran animals.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think understanding these 'anomalies' will probably be easier once we start to investigate extra-planetary life and begin to understand the nature of evolution more clearly, 'Animal, Vegetable, Mineral' is probably going to be far too vague an set of interpretations in the future.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, it already is, if you look at the recent history of taxonomy they have revamped it a few times in just the last few decades.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, half of the "kingdoms" I learned about in grade school are no longer in functional use as-is.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, I kinda learned them 40 years ago, also, there's things like Fungi for a start, which were causing confusion even back then. But it is always fascinating to see what other roads nature can find to develop along.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Whether created by a series of amazing chemicall/environmental events or an over-arching deity, they were kind of created, from a certain point of view. Just bend your interpretation a little for the sake of non-confrontational conversation ;)

Yes... good... no one suspects anything
There were no genetic experiments that led to this... none at all...
"No"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Don't worry, even as we speak the unsuspecting human guinea-pigs are having the X-Gene implanted into their systems.

This new creatures DNA allow us to reach a new level in the power of 'floating around and not doing much', today, people on airbeds in Spain, tomorrow, the World!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the article pretty much says 'catch me another one so i can look at its genes'.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The moon is devoid of life, easier to observe, not cloaked by anything, and it's terrain is rather easy to predict.

I likely compare the moon to earth in this case as an orbiting ball of paper refuse with it's only use being gravitational presence for the tide (maybe a few more things too). The earth is way more complex. Considering the cost of going to the moon is pointless. Going there cost way more, but what was the point aside from just going there?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:45:50 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline watsisname

Going there cost way more, but what was the point aside from just going there?

Just so that we can say we know more about the Moon than the deep ocean. :p
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.