Author Topic: Shockwaves  (Read 3499 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
I searched for this topic around the board, but I didn't find any results that had to do with this.  I was just wondering, wouldn't it be cooler to have shockwaves that actually go sideways? I mean, when a ship blows up, the blue (or different colored) shockwave would come at you. It would be transparent or something. The original shockwaves get boring and aren't really realistic (i.e. no matter what angle you are facing, the shockwaves are the same). It would be cool, along the lines of the FS1 shockwaves, but actually coming towards you. Like the shockwave that hits when Capella goes supernova. I don't know, good or bad idea? :nervous:

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
u mean orb shockwaves? that go out like a ball of blue stuff?
I hate My signature!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
The original shockwaves... aren't really realistic (i.e. no matter what angle you are facing, the shockwaves are the same).  

No comment. :doubt:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
The original shockwaves... aren't really realistic (i.e. no matter what angle you are facing, the shockwaves are the same).  

No comment. :doubt:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Hehe, nice double post. Ok, they are realistic, but I mean, I dunno, I'd just like to suggest an idea. ;7

I think what's he talking about is having it that when a ship goes up, a 3D shockwave gets shot out from the break up point on a random plane. Could be cool, but practically I think the current ones are more realistic (considering besides the fact that space doesn't have shockwaves)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Why not? There's matter being pushed away from a central explosion (presumably the ships core) - it should be a shockwave?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
i don't like too the actual shockwave, both for the artwork both for how they works
if i remember well in wing commander (prophecy) shockwaves were like here 2D "anis" (not talkin about the damage-pushing wave) but were also randomly changing color and plane of propagation with a much more realistic effect(or anyway they were nicer if not more realistic)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I agree, the code should choose from a variety of different shockwaves and randomise (or as close as you can to randomise) the propgation and the angle of the shockwave compared to the players point of view. there should also be secondary shockwaves which go out along other angles to give the effect of debris/explosions that don't just follow the angle of the shockwave - they add a 3D spherical effect to things.

Perhaps Terran, Vasudan and Shivan shockwaves should be unique to the species... blue/white for Terran, Green/brown/yellow for Vasudan and Red/Orange (more fiery colors) for Shivans. After all they do use different power sources. And the beam colors are different which is proof of that.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by KARMA
i don't like too the actual shockwave, both for the artwork both for how they works
if i remember well in wing commander (prophecy) shockwaves were like here 2D "anis" (not talkin about the damage-pushing wave) but were also randomly changing color and plane of propagation with a much more realistic effect(or anyway they were nicer if not more realistic)

That's what I mean exactly. Wing Commander shockwaves. The ones that come straight at you in a sort of transparent way. If I had to choose, they'd be my favorite shockwaves :nod: Ok, yes I'm a psycho :wtf: And different colored would be good. "Randomize," as you say. ;)

Hmm, well it would be pretty cool to have something like that going on when big ships go down - i.e. blinding flash of white light and then the shockwave heading straight at you when the Colossus goes down.

Hmm...
To implement this at a basic level you'd draw a large transparent polygon and map the ani to that. To be more advanced we'd need a 3D model and some neato effects. This sounds like something for after we update to DX8.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I made a cool 3D shockwave in lightwave i can render it into a ani whitout any problems. and i can render it at any angle and make it change color as it exspends. I'll post a AVI version later when i get home.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Forgot where i got it originally but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about. The shckwave mod that looks like an atom expanding? multiple waves... It's got that plae yellow color though. I just wish the color would vary like a doppler effect. Red to white to blue (patriot huh)??? lol Anyway tell me how to get it on the net (name a site don't just say "upload it" Duh). It seems to be effective in all angles. I got a screenshot of my squadron taking a borg cube down and we all get blasted in every direction!
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Forgot where i got it originally but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about. The shckwave mod that looks like an atom expanding? multiple waves... It's got that plae yellow color though. I just wish the color would vary like a doppler effect. Red to white to blue (patriot huh)??? lol Anyway tell me how to get it on the net (name a site don't just say "upload it" Duh). It seems to be effective in all angles. I got a screenshot of my squadron taking a borg cube down and we all get blasted in every direction!

Do you mean the ones Venom did?  Used in OtT and Inferno IIRC?

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Shockwave MODs...hmmm....well, maybe some people who are experienced can change the code around a bit, allowing more MODibility in every aspect (Shockwaves, colors, subspace warps, etc.). That would be cool :nod:

Except for the color (Really sorry Venom!!!!) I love the waves!

You can see how they work here:

Http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Is that the one Aldo?
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline el gore

Well if you're refering to the yellow/orange one, that is the one I made some time ago.

You can download it  HERE

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
that's the one i use now. much better than an expanding bluish circle. very nice job with it there el gore :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Originally posted by Thunder
Why not? There's matter being pushed away from a central explosion (presumably the ships core) - it should be a shockwave?

Because inorder to have one you need air. or you get just a boom, and you can only have an explosion if there is air on the ship, or somthing like it. if you don't think I'm right go get a phisics book.
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yes, yes, we know you're correct, but would you rather FS not have shockwaves at all? It's a game for goodness sake, you buy it to have fun and see all the nice colors and explosions :cool: Hahahahaha NEWAYZ :nervous: