Author Topic: Age  (Read 20719 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why am I saying this?

Because your snail. You can say anything

Except for things offensive to Jews or Muslims. Nobody can touch them.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
19 in a couple months. God, I've been a freespace fan for nearly ten years- half my life. As disturbing as it might sound, these two games are a little bit of who I am.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
True..smacking is for those cases when the kid really deserves it (does somethign really bad after being warned several times). And there are some kids with which talking has little to no effect.
Talking, presents, bribes, blackmail, smacking - whatver works. :D

I don't believe you need to smack your kids. I don't believe that there are any kids who won't respond to another form of punishment.

I do however believe that it can be a quick and effective punishment and something which everyone knows how to do. If you watch those "supernanny" style programmes you'll see that there are other effective ways to deal with your kids. The problem is that parents have stopped smacking children but no one has bothered to teach them any other alternative so by and large the entire generation is making it up as they go along.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I do however believe that it can be a quick and effective punishment and something which everyone knows how to do. If you watch those "supernanny" style programmes you'll see that there are other effective ways to deal with your kids. The problem is that parents have stopped smacking children but no one has bothered to teach them any other alternative so by and large the entire generation is making it up as they go along.

Sorry, but I just can't stop linking this conversation to South Park...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not seen the episode. Which one is it?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Agreed, theres a big difference between discipline and beating your child, it has swung too far the other way, a child who knows that their parents aren't the final word is going to be trouble.

The problem is not that you can't smack your kids. The problem is that for some parents that was the only way they knew how to discipline their kids.

Anyone want to tell me that this parent needs to smack his kids for them to know not to cross him? :D

Heh, bribery is an acceptable punishment as well I guess. The problem is, I suspect it's only a matter of time in the UK before 'denying me my leisure time' becomes some kind of breach of Human Rights or the like, so removing privileges will also start to be frowned on, you'll just be told to 'talk to your child', but not given any hints as to what about, how or why. I've seen 8 year old kids scream 'I'll phone Childline!' as soon as they are denied something, admittedly, the parents ignored it, but we live in such a 'lynch-mob' culture these days, I sometimes wonder....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
My response to "I'll call Childline!" has always been "When they put you in care I'll have more money to spend on me. Need change?"

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
If you'll watch South Park you'll notice that Cartman, the bad one, has saved the town more than anyone else.
The hippie concert, the snuke, etc., etc. :lol:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
*kicks colecampbell666*

Ninja weapons episode is the best.......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I am 14 now. I was like 9 when I played FS2 and beat the game.
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
When I played FS2 for the first time, I got to the second to last mission (ATM I didn't know) and I just stopped playing because it was too long. :doubt:

As you can tell I didn't read any of the briefings or anything.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
I once got stuck on training 6 or someting, I couldn't figure out how to target the subsystem even though it said how to...
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
19 in a couple months. God, I've been a freespace fan for nearly ten years- half my life. As disturbing as it might sound, these two games are a little bit of who I am.

Same, except I already turned 18. It's crazy how one game can affect someone so much :D

And anyway, I still believe that giving a good thwack on the rear is effective for disciplining your children, although it should always be a last resort. I learned that lying was a bad thing that way, and I make it a point to never lie if I can to this day.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I once got stuck on training 6 or someting, I couldn't figure out how to target the subsystem even though it said how to...

I couldn't figure out how to go top speed. Kept pressing slash instead of backslash. :hopping:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The problem is not that you can't smack your kids. The problem is that for some parents that was the only way they knew how to discipline their kids.

Anyone want to tell me that this parent needs to smack his kids for them to know not to cross him? :D

My dad through me and my brothers n64 down a 15ft tall staircase when i was 12 because my older bro broke my dads gps (that was when they were knew and ****ing huge too). I started crying shortly afterwards because i paid for half of that thing. The cool thing is that is still worked perfectly despite broken casing as opposed to my dads completely broken gps.

Anyway i will be 23 in october, and first found the fs1 demo and fs2 demo when i was 15, and shortly bought fs2 later that year.

Spanking is universal and works great. It's like what the bible says, don't spare your child the rod(don't spare your child punishment and correction). A thump on the head or whack on the bum creates pain. And pain = lessons learned fast...or very slowly in some cases in those kids who just don't want to learn. While some other punishment techniques that may be considered modern and non-abusive or whatever bs. While some of those may work, giving your kids a beat down is way faster and easier. In my mind as effective punishments with taking your kids' stuff away from them a second place for speed and ease, beating up your kid is the way to go.

I always got this spoon
And it hurt like a *****, though my brother hardly ever got this spoon.
He did get this one
And they did eventually break it on him too :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just to be cautious, we're not talking about abuse here... spanking and beating are two different things.  :rolleyes:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I know a few kids that are obnoxios...there's just no talking sense into them...even beating the crap out of them has little effect...thickheaded and stubborn as hell. :doubt:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
God damn 10 year old kid came over to my house and threatened to pour water on THIS computer. All the things I said to him just made him laugh and he was smiling all the way. I actually wanted to kill him. Instead, I deleted all the games on his Game Boy later on. He went home bawling and crying his eyes out. Was I sorry? Heck no. That felt great. :D

Evidently, I did kick him a bit but he didn't care, just smiled and laughed and threatened to pour water on the computer.

God damn 10 year old kid came over to my house and threatened to pour water on THIS computer. All the things I said to him just made him laugh and he was smiling all the way. I actually wanted to kill him. Instead, I deleted all the games on his Game Boy later on. He went home bawling and crying his eyes out. Was I sorry? Heck no. That felt great. :D

Evidently, I did kick him a bit but he didn't care, just smiled and laughed and threatened to pour water on the computer.

Showed his sorry arse...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then I got shouted at, but it was worth it. :D