Author Topic: OpenGL Bug  (Read 2948 times)

Karajorma think i found a bug and he think i should post it :)

So, on Build 20050622 @ Open GL i have huge geometric figures that block the screen, i couldn' make a screenie of these and its pretty hard to explain in english. but i could make a sceenie of the texture problems which i have with build 20050103 @OpenGL:

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1396/graphic012zc.jpg

The disable of the -jpgtga textures didn't change anything

On Direct3D everthing is fine, but unfortunately the performance in some missions or campaigns is very low with Direct3D.
Using GF4 Ti4200, Athlon XP 2800, 1GB RAM
Did anyone have this problem too?

Greetings
Mav

Link was busted. Fixed now - Karajorma
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 03:49:21 am by 340 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Grab Goober's newest build and run it with the -noibx option.  Missions will take longer to load but see if that fixes the geometry problem.  If it does then delete all of the *.ibx files that you can find (in data/cache/ and look in mod directories too).  Next time you run the game it will regenerate these files and will hopefully have correct data.  D3D handles the bad data that could be in these files differently than OGL does.  That's the reason that D3D doesn't always show the same problem that OGL will, even when using the same bad geometry data.

As for the texture problem, it should be fixed in newer builds.  You should be able to fix it in the 20050103 build by making sure that the "3D Hardware Textures" slider in the details option screen is set to the maximum.  If it's not at the maximum level then it will try and resize the data for DDS textures.  Since this isn't possible it will end up only showing bits of the image which looks very strange.  This problem should be fixed properly in the 20050622 build, I think, but it may have been one of the 07 builds which actually had all of the related fixes.

Ok the Texture Problem on build 20050103 is fixed by set the "3d Hardware Textures" to maximum.

But the -noibx Flag didn't solve the problem on 20050728 some model like the fenris, orion, leviathan and some others still have the geometry problem.

Offline Fractux

@ taylor.

(running in linux - latest cvs build)

I had deleted all of the ibx files and tried regenerating them. I still get a geometry problem when looking at the Orion model included in mv_models.

Another ptoblem shows up in SM1-02.fs2 (the place of chariots - where you attack the first cargo depot) The TAC1 cargo's geometry is messed up.  But it's wierd, becuase it depends on the camera angle and distance. if you are really close up to the cargo, and you  place it at the right or left edge of the screen, TAC1 displays fine.

I'll look at it a bit more before putting anything into mantis.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 10:27:25 am by 1248 »
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Freaky.  Can you please send me the IBX file in question (cargo03.ibx, I think)?  I want to compare it with what I have.  There must still be a bug in the model code, or an old bug that only is visible now.  I'm using old IBX files but just tried to make a new one and it worked fine.  Worked fine in mission too.

Here is a md5sum of my IBX so you can do a quick check against yours if you want:
Code: [Select]
a8ed2968d047bf91c604aaf5125ef10f  data/cache/cargo03.ibx

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i think theres some GF OGL driver issue since it happens on my other comp (GF4 ti4200), but not my main one (radeon 9000).  d3d is fine.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by PhReAk
i think theres some GF OGL driver issue since it happens on my other comp (GF4 ti4200), but not my main one (radeon 9000).  d3d is fine.

I use a 6800GT so it's not a general NVIDIA driver problem.  At least not on Linux.

@Fractux: Also try running with -novbo and see if it makes a difference.  And what driver version are you running?

I have no more geometry problems with the -novbo flag but a very low performance under OpenGL. What did -novbo do und which driver version is the optimum for a GF4 Ti4200 to use OpenGL?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
-novbo disables use of Vertex Buffer Objects which helps speed up rendering by storing geometry data in high performance video card memory for quick and easy access.  NVIDIA has great drivers so unless you experience problems, use the newest available and keep updated.

I did make a performance optimization (hopefully) at one point, and though it didn't make much of a difference at the time, I made the change mostly to help prevent large performance problems with really detailed models like the Death Star and BSG.  Grab my 20050613 build, since it was the last before this change, and see if you still have geometry problems without -novbo.  The change I made isn't specific to VBO code but a mix of the two may be causing a problem for some cards/drivers.   That build does have various issues that have since been fixed so I don't recommend using it except to test this problem.  If that change is causing the problem then I'll make it disabled by default.

Offline Fractux

Sorry, I was away for a few days. I'll start checking this now.

Offline Fractux

This is the md5 currently:
Code: [Select]

5f1e156aeab274f7e4905308e1c62f36  cargo03.ibx

I removed the .ibx file, used the -novbo.

I got the same md5 sum.

But in this case there were no geometry anomalies in game with the cargo03.ibx container, or with the Orion when I cheked in the tech room.

Looks like there is a problem.

Grab the ibx files: http://www3.sympatico.ca/kbros/files/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 09:39:37 am by 1248 »