Author Topic: Problem seeing Ships and Asteroids  (Read 1559 times)

Problem seeing Ships and Asteroids
Hello there.

First, thanks for visually improving one of my favourite spacesims. :yes:
Second, i´m now playing the first GTVI-Mission, where u have to scan the Iceni. But when it comes to shoot down the Asteroids threatening the Iceni, i can´t see them. They are marked and they can impact the Iceni, but they can´t hit me. I can´t even shoot them. And for the Ships: I am not able to see the Herc or partially able to see the Deimos in the lower left corner of my HUD. Anyone any Idea what i´ve done wrong in configuring fs2open.
I´m using the build from this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44291.0.html
MediaVPs are Version 3.6.8zeta without mv_cell
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.0.html

Options selected
E:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod mediavp -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -loadallweps -alpha_env -fps

Rendermode is OpenGL

System Specs:
Windows XP Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon64 3200+
ASUS EAX1300Pro Silent/TD (Catalyst Version 7.2)
Realtek AC97 OnBoard Sound 5.1 capabable
OpenALwEAX installed.

Urizen
I´m a spamming machine :D

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: Problem seeing Ships and Asteroids
:welcome:

There's a lot of people having trouble with this. The problem is that you're missing -jpgtga flag (Enable jpg/tga textures) in Launcher. So a lot of ships mapped with these format bitmaps are going to be invisible.

In recent future, -jpgtga flag is going to be removed from next builds. It's going to be on by default. (In fact, some betas have done it).

Remember to enjoy the game and to avoid asking about a game starting with FS and finishing in the first odd prime number  ;) (It can drive some people mad  :mad:).

I would also recommend you to stop playing FS2, go to Freespace Conversion thread, download fsport. And then start playing FS1  ;7 ;7 within FS2 engine. Then move to FS2 main story.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:58:44 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

:D i knew i did something wrong and for fsport: is there anything special to keep an eye on (for example in configuring fs2open, except running fsport as a mod 8) )

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yes. When you run FS1Port as a mod make sure you have a mod.ini file in the FS1Port folder that points at your mediavps folder. If you don't you'll get the uglier low-res ships instead of the newer FS2_open ones.

Details on how to do this are in the installing mods section of my FAQ.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

thx for the tip, i already thought i were playing retail fs1 :D .
For now, everything is working, thx to you both again :yes: