Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 214372 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
Welcome back. :)

It does complete FS2.  I will work on these shortly; I need to recalculate the RGB & luminosity values used in stars.tbl.  A possible complication is the lens flares, which aren't going to be exactly the same color as the stars themselves unless these too are all remade. I'll post the other requirements for FS1 etc, too.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
w00t

These things are so damn pretty, can't wait for the final 3.6.10 vps.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
In the mv_music.zip I just downloaded...it seems to be missing FS2_Amb_A01.ogg.  Good reason for that or just left out?  Just thought I'd bring it up.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't think we have a high quality version of that one. If you know of one, send me a link and I'll update the VP with it. It's possible that I left one out by accident.

Note that there are a handful of cases where the music file appears to be higher quality, but it's just upsampled from the 22khz version and sounds totally identical to the old one. I don't remember the one you mentioned as being such a case though.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
i have one suggestion for the improoved grafic-fx of shield hits.....imho this fx is in principle realy great, but it looks like a wall during a hit. it is not transparent.....would it be possible to increase the transparency for this effect?!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
i got a problem but i dont know if it can be considered a bug or not or if this is just some random problem with my computer. Some beams like the shivan and AAA beams do not have the charge up effect or the "energy ball", for lack of a better term, during the actual firing phase. I think they are related to the MV_advancedeffect file, but having no modding experience whatsoever i cannot say for sure. a picture just to show what i mean.

DaBrain as you asked I was going to mantis it but this seems this very same issue, so I post it here although I suppose you've already found the reason.

On game startup with 3.6.9. debug I get the following errors:
  • SBeamAglow.eff from Advanced Effects doesn't have their related frames. This is the cause for those missing beam glows.
  • And also, 3.6.9. debug complains about BFRed (redefined in Advanced Effects beams2-wep.tbm) having more than 5 sections. Is this limit going to be pushed up in 3.6.10 builds?

I've re-run my AllxxxxShips.fs2 missions with XT1207 debug and then I've looked at the fs2_open.log. In addition to these two beam issues I've also noticed:
  • AAAf and AAAh from advanced effects > beams2-wep.tbm use AAABeamAglow as muzzle. This texture is missing.
  • Some beams (like SRed from the same table) use SBeamAA as the first section. This texture is also missing.

OTOH there are a lot of warnings like the following
Code: [Select]
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem fighterbay, believed to be in ship capital01.pof
And believe me when I say that there's A LOT of them.

What are they?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Speaking of beamglow, I noticed one interesting thing. I actually saw the beamglow for the AAA on a Fenris, but it lasted about half a second.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Oooops I nearly forget. I had prevously mantised several issues from 1554 to 1557

Expert modeler help is specially needed in 1556. Please check it.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Topgun

Do you know anyone who likes making stars? :)  Just two systems are needed to complete FS2, and five more to complete all of FS1, Awakenings, ST:R, Cardinal Spear, Warzone and Aeos Affair.  Basically the fellow was working in descending star size order, so the main sequence stars are not completed.  Fantasy systems are excluded, as they don't have any 'proper' stars in any case.
I like making suns. I already made afew. IE red, gold and some others.

It's not a problem, the color just changed.

I'm open for color suggestions though. I'm tempted to make some changes for the final release here again.
I really do like yellow ABs although they aren't canon. They look much better than old cyan ones. They look MUCH realer.

But as MediaVPs is intended to be a RETAIL enhancement, I would offer cyan as default and, in an optional vp, the yellow ones. (Although it could be some more packing work).

If MediaVPs are intended to be a retail enhancement, and the retail color sucks, then changing the color via MediaVPs seems completely legit as an enhancement goal; further, so many graphical changes have been made which distinguish FSO from Retail that, cosmetically, this is already a whole other game anyhow.  I say go with what looks best .  I mean, a simple color change doesn't really mean much re: what is or isn't canon (unless we start talking about changing the beamglows).

mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Whoa.

I just got a chance to test these when I fired up Dunkerque.

Now, I don't have GLSL support enabled (no shader 3 support on this vieo card) so perhaps that may be contributing to the issues, but I am having major LOD issues.  The Arcadia, Manticore, Orion, Argo... everything but the GTF fighters look like absolute garbage.

In other words - this takes it back to worse-than-retail quality if you don't have shader 3 support.  Is normal mapping entirely replacing the old high-resolution ships?

I'll post a screenshot momentarily.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Apologize for the darkness, apparently the 1028 Xt build doesn't preserve gamma settings when it takes screenshots.

http://members.shaw.ca/jillianandryan/files/freespace/screen0002.tga

At any rate - have the normal maps entirely replaced the his-res textures on the non-HTL ships?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I prefer to use -no_set_gamma with FS2_Open, I got the overall colour settings so good that I don't really want FS2_Open to use any different settings.

That, and if your desktop gammaa/colour profile is a customized one, the screenies will not look like they appear in-game.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ryan, did you double-check the in game graphics options that your model detail option is set to full?  If so, possibly try a new pilot, maybe your old one got corrupted?  That's all I can think of.  Normal maps aren't replacing any models, only enhancing them.  Be sure to check with no mods too, and possibly look in the tech room or the F3 menu just in case.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The settings have not been touched.  The only difference is the enabled mod - 3.6.10 versus 3.6.8

Identical settings.  First image is 3.6.10, second is the old 3.6.8.  Here's what an Argo looks like.  Again, the gamma setting in FSO is not preserved in screenshots so they're dark.

http://members.shaw.ca/jillianandryan/files/freespace/screen0004.tga

http://members.shaw.ca/jillianandryan/files/freespace/screen0005.tga

I'm going to grab a capture of an Orion now.  It's really noticeable there.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Here's the Orion.  Again, the only change between the two screenshots is which mediavp set is in use.  First one is 3.6.10, second is 3.6.8.  Oh, and this is done with a totally new pilot, just to be sure there are no issues there.

http://members.shaw.ca/jillianandryan/files/freespace/screen0005.tga
http://members.shaw.ca/jillianandryan/files/freespace/screen0006.tga

Might I suggest one of you try disabling GLSL support with the 3.6.10 MVPs and see if you get the same issues?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Stop using TGA >.<
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Stop using TGA >.<

I'm lazy and just posting straight from my screenshots folder :P

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I don't think we have a high quality version of that one. If you know of one, send me a link and I'll update the VP with it. It's possible that I left one out by accident.

Note that there are a handful of cases where the music file appears to be higher quality, but it's just upsampled from the 22khz version and sounds totally identical to the old one. I don't remember the one you mentioned as being such a case though.
Got it...seems to be a few others "missing" as well but if they aren't present in high quality format then obviously thats a good reason for not including.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sparky

• Former JBX MegaRaptors
i got a problem but i dont know if it can be considered a bug or not or if this is just some random problem with my computer. Some beams like the shivan and AAA beams do not have the charge up effect or the "energy ball", for lack of a better term, during the actual firing phase. I think they are related to the MV_advancedeffect file, but having no modding experience whatsoever i cannot say for sure. a picture just to show what i mean.

DaBrain as you asked I was going to mantis it but this seems this very same issue, so I post it here although I suppose you've already found the reason.

On game startup with 3.6.9. debug I get the following errors:
  • SBeamAglow.eff from Advanced Effects doesn't have their related frames. This is the cause for those missing beam glows.
  • And also, 3.6.9. debug complains about BFRed (redefined in Advanced Effects beams2-wep.tbm) having more than 5 sections. Is this limit going to be pushed up in 3.6.10 builds?

I love the new mediavps... but I dunno how to fix this either. I get the no beam glows only for the shivans...