Author Topic: Ship names  (Read 9731 times)

Offline Viper01

I have been working on my campaign, and I am now on my second mission!!! I have run into a problem, though. In an effort to make the missions more realistic e.g. Destroyers operate with a battlegroup and spit out a full complement of fighters to defend and attack. The unfortunate result of this is a lot of cruisers. I need names for Cain, Lilith, Fenris, and leviathan class cruisers. I do not have the imagination to come up with somewhat realistic FS names for these ships. If anyone has any ideas for names, that would be terrific. Credit will be given. Thanks!!!

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_specific_demons_and_types_of_demons

There are all the shivan names you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_gods

And there you have some good terran names! Pretty much every canon ship name in the freespace series is based on mythology. If you ever need Vasudan names, check for something egyptian. Most of these are used often but they are nevertheless numerous and they fit well into campaigns. If you want something different, you might want to check for nice sounding places or cities here on Earth.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:04:23 pm by Slime »

Offline Viper01

Thank you very much! This should be very helpful in allowing me to work on the other aspects of my missions. Once again, thank you.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
If all else fails use adjectives.

i.e. Indomitable, Relentless, Fearless, etc.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
City/region names of Earth work, e.g. GTC Pretoria.
Famous people from history could work, too; e.g. GTC Bolivar
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Or imfamous people for enemy Terran ships, like the NTC Napolean.
Greek gods can also be used for Terran ship classes.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Also you can use Norse gods...not sure what the convention is there however.

Fenris, which is an evil wolf, is a Terran ship, as is Mjollnir, which is the hammer of the good Thor, god of thunder.

Also, Hela, which is the evil goddess of the underworld (yes i know its not as simple as that, don't nail me on technicalities), is the name of a Lilith class cruiser. *shrug* I guess in the case of Norse gods use whatever sounds best

I think Jormungand would kick ass as a Shivan Lucifer, in my opinion.
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Shivan ships use hindu mythology names.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Shivan ships use hindu mythology names.

Not exclusively; they draw from Christian mythology as well.

for example: Cain, Lilith, Lucifer, Sathanas.

.............what? i've never heard of them during ANY of my five years of Catholic schooling.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's more hebrew mythology than christian, though the two are naturally closely intertwined...

By the way, there's christian/hebrew symbolism/mythology on at least one Terran ship class name as well... Leviathan. As to shivans, they also have Seraphim and Nephilim bombers, Dragon and Basilisk fighters*, then they have SC Sephiroth... so it appears to me that hindu deities are definitely not the only naming pool for Shivan ships and ship classes.

*Dragon is kinda universal mythical beast/deity - although it is also accosiated to Satan in some bible translations - so it's not actually from any single mythology IMHO. Basilisk seems to be from European folklore.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
.............what? i've never heard of them during ANY of my five years of Catholic schooling.

You haven't heard of Cain? Hell, you haven't heard about LUCIFER?

I have my doubts.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Uhm Shivan names aren't limited to Bible and Hindu names. Everything concerning evil is a good Shivan name(Nosferatu, Belphegor). Don't forget Latin words(Malor) and even English ones(Bane).

City/region names of Earth work, e.g. GTC Pretoria.

The Pretoriae were Roman units.

The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

That's Praetoriani.

Pretoria, on the other hand, is a city in South Africa.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

What?? How??? I've heard at least five of them at a public school! (not including my 8 years at a catholic school)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Or you could just nick names from other sci-fi sources: Enterprise, Beliskner, Prometheus, Messiah, Titan, Pegasus, Esperanto, Agamemnon, Executor, Hippaforalkus, etc.

Not that hard, buddy.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Or you could just nick names from other sci-fi sources: Enterprise, Beliskner, Prometheus, Messiah, Titan, Pegasus, Esperanto, Agamemnon, Executor, Hippaforalkus, etc.

Not that hard, buddy.

Prometheus is at least three separate weapons in the FreeSpace saga. Pegasus is a stealth fighter already. GTD Enterprise and GTVA Executor will be taken seriously by nobody.

Esperanto is a language.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Taking names from Tolkien makes me cringe.

(Or laugh, GTC Gandalf the Grey)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

That's Praetoriani.

Pretoria, on the other hand, is a city in South Africa.

The Praetoriani were members of the Praetoriae.

Taking names from Tolkien makes me cringe.

(Or laugh, GTC Gandalf the Grey)

There already is an airline company called Gandalf. Try with Olòrin, Incanus... these are other names of Gandalf.

Anyway, I use Tolkien names also for Shivan ships(SD Balrog, SD Gothmog, SJ Morgoth, SC Ungoliant, SC Snaga, SC Azog, etc. etc.) and they're definitely better than adjectives(like Aggressive).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Here are a few that might be decent:

Rukifellth
Bulzeeb
Zoniha

Taken from, of all places, the Bomberman series. They are just slightly garbled versions of pre-existing deities. (Bulzeeb came from Beelzebub, for instance.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"