Author Topic: Shields not working  (Read 4010 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Shields not working
Attached is a fighter-like object which has shields. Those shields, however, are not working ingame, even when I click "force shields on". I've used PCS2 to import the shield sphere from another object where it is working just fine. "Purge BSP cache" was done.

Can anyone help me out, please?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Shields not working
Have you tried using "+Auto Spread:" & "auto spread shields" instead of a shield mesh?

I am assuming you are trying to make a local shield bubble work, to protect a subsystem specifically ... or something similar.

ps. +Auto Spread: means the impact effect will be really small for some reason but I've been using it to give the Lucifer a wider shield perimeter
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Shield mesh may be buggy. They are often source of issues, so I often use "surface shields" combined with actual shield meshes... Because let's say I don't trust shield meshes.

From which ship did you import the shield mesh?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

If you just want to test the shield mesh you can resize the model by 10 times and give it a texture. I've seen FSO behaving unreliable with small objects and "invisible"-texture.

Offline SF-Junky

Have you tried using "+Auto Spread:" & "auto spread shields" instead of a shield mesh?

I am assuming you are trying to make a local shield bubble work, to protect a subsystem specifically ... or something similar.

ps. +Auto Spread: means the impact effect will be really small for some reason but I've been using it to give the Lucifer a wider shield perimeter
I'll try this out, but the idea indeed is to protect a subsystem and I'd like to have a nice shield sphere there.

€: Did not work. Neither did Nightmare's trick. But I think it's a more general/different problem here. Because the model behaves as if no_collide is still active even if I remove that flag. I had this issue a long time ago with another model and back then the trick was to execute "purge BPS cache" in PCS2. And I've recently enlarged one of the asteroid models and I have the very same problem there: it is always like no_collide was active.

Could this be a problem with PCS? I also played around with the size of the shield mesh.

From which ship did you import the shield mesh?
From an Alastor sentry gun where it, as said, works perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:03:04 pm by SF-Junky »

If it works on the Alastor, how about using FREDs texture replacement and reskin it to invisible?

Offline 0rph3u5

I'll try this out, but the idea indeed is to protect a subsystem and I'd like to have a nice shield sphere there.

Have you tried using an unalted SC5 as root model? - using the Cloak effect and Collision Groups it shouldn't be an issue to hide in most capital ships and its shape somewhat spherical, so Auto Spread Shield should give you bubble.

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline SF-Junky

The thing is I'd like to have different sizes of that shield sphere. Maybe I'll try the SC5 trick.

But besides that... there must be an exaplantion for why the above model is not working and solution to the problem.

Offline 0rph3u5

The thing is I'd like to have different sizes of that shield sphere.

The value you enter after +Auto Spread: is basically the radius of the shield perimeter, if you set +Minimum Weapon Span: to 0. (it actually not that simple as the collision detection of the shield is projected outwards from the model geometery and not so not spherical, unless the model is spherical)

E.g. this is what I did to the Lucifer
Code: [Select]
$Name: SD Lucifer
+nocreate
$POF file: lucifer-mogw.pof
$Shields: 800000
+Auto Spread: 300
+Minimum Weapon Span: 0
+Allow Bypass: NO
+Spread From LOD: 1
$Shield Color: 255 92 92
;;Shield Impact Explosion: ShieldHit03a
$Shield Regeneration Rate: 0.5
$Shield Armor Type: LuciferShield
$Flags: ( "capital" "big damage" "in tech database multi" "auto spread shields" )
[...]
(the model is unaltered from MVPs, its just to make sure that LOD1 is consistent and I don't have to roll out a patch if the Lucifer model ever gets redone; Shield Impact Explosion is commented out because the current effect causes an error regarding its LODs)

here every shot that is fired within 300 meters of the Lucifer's hull is immediatly stopped, every shot fired from outside of 300m is stopped at 300m.

EDIT I really would like to show you video of this in action - sadly that mod is currently shut down due to problems with problems to its dependencies (FSPort and MVPs).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:52:24 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================